Disney World Restaurant Birthday Treats

One of the first things people tell you when you’re visiting Disney World over your birthday is, “Get the Birthday Button! You might get free stuff!”

Birthday Button

Birthday Button

The truth is, Disney restaurants actually do some wonderful things to celebrate birthdays (some free; some requiring advance preparation by you!). Because today is my birthday, I wanted to share a few of the fantastic birthday surprises you can find in Disney restaurants. (Thanks to the DisneyFoodBlog readers who contributed their celebration photos to the gallery below! The Gallery is being updated continuously as folks send in photos — so keep checking back for more pics!)

And if you’re thinking you might want to order an incredible cake like some of those shown in the gallery, just check out our Disney Cake Ordering FAQ for Disney World and Disneyland!

Disney Restaurant Birthday Surprises

When you call to book your dining reservations, let the Disney agents know that you’ll be celebrating a birthday on your upcoming trip. They’ll make notes in the reservation so that the restaurant is aware of your celebration. (Be sure to remind the cast member at the podium when you arrive; some notes slip through the cracks when things get busy…) If you’re making your reservations online, be sure to enter in your “celebration” at the end of the process!

The last time we celebrated a birthday in the parks, we headed right over to one of our favorite character meals: Crystal Palace! When there’s note of your celebration, Crystal Palace cast members decorate your table with multi-colored Mickey confetti and festive streamers. This lets your server know that someone’s celebrating, which results in a delicious cupcake and a card signed by the whole gang (no cost to you, of course)! Looks like the card is a bit outdated, eh? Where’s the Animal Kingdom?

Disney's Standard Birthday Card

Disney's Standard Birthday Card

Cupcake and Card at Crystal Palace

Cupcake and Card at Crystal Palace

I’ve also had this wonderful treatment at Yachtsman Steakhouse, where the card was signed by nearly a dozen characters (I just don’t know WHERE they found all of them so late at night!), and the dessert was not just a cupcake, but a delicious soaked sponge cake molded with chocolate.

On another recent trip, I dined at Citricos, where I was presented with a semi-personalized “Happy Birthday” souvenir menu. Although the dessert I ordered wasn’t free (that I can remember), it was beautifully decorated to wish me a happy celebration. I’ve heard tell that Disney will be phasing out these Happy Birthday menus, which I think is unfortunate. It really does make one feel special!

Citricos Happy Birthday Menu

Citricos Happy Birthday Menu

Citricos Dessert

Citricos Dessert

Celebrations Planned in Advance

Most of the above occurred with little or no planning of ours; all we did was let the restaurant know that there was a birthday, and Disney did the rest.

But if you’d like to be a bit more grand with your celebration, you can plan in advance to have Disney create a dessert that will serve everyone in your party!

Be sure to check out our “Disney Cake Ordering FAQ” for all the details!! :-)

Disney World Celebrations Page

Disney World Celebrations Page

Be sure to call the Walt Disney World Resort at (407) 827-2253 (the cake hotline) at least 48 hours in advance.

Special Tip: As you can see above, even if you didn’t plan for a cake in advance, you can still order a 6-inch cake upon arrival at most Disney table-service restaurants. These are available in both chocolate and vanilla. No notice is necessary. (I’m SO glad they’ve started doing this…I’m horrible about advance planning!) These cakes even come in versions for special diets!

Disney Food Blog Reader Celebrations!

To quote Lavar Burton, “Don’t take my word for it!” Here are just a few of the grand ways some DisneyFoodBlog readers have celebrated birthdays in Disney World:

Chip 'n Dale Cake at California Grill

Splash Mountain Cake at California Grill

Hayley Mills Cake at California Grill

Dessert from the Empire Grill at the Ambassador Hotel, Tokyo Disneyland

Reader Debi W. shared this helpful info: This cake was ordered from Wilderness Lodge. They delivered it to Trails End at Fort Wilderness since we were camping there. We just had to pick it up. The writing was done in chocolate (a complete surprise), was yellow cake with raspberry filling, buttercream frosting. Very happy with what we got. We were there in December celebrating my son’s 5th birthday. I was able to order this cake based on finding your blog! It was very helpful for our entire trip, keep up the great work!

5th Birthday

Birthday Cake from WL Bakery

Vanilla Cake with Raspberry Filling

Cinderella's Royal Table Birthday

Kona Cafe, Polynesian Resort: Birthday Treat

Kona Cafe, Polynesian Resort: Birthday Treat

Rose and Crown Dining Room, Epcot World Showcase: Advance Reserved Cake

Rose and Crown Dining Room, Epcot World Showcase: Advance Prep Cake

Celebrating a birthday at Rose and Crown

50's Prime Time Cafe, Disney's Hollywood Studios: Birthday Treat

50's Prime Time Cafe, Disney's Hollywood Studios: Birthday Treat

Cinderella's Royal Table, Magic Kingdom: Advance Reserved White Chocolate Slipper Dessert

Cinderella's Royal Table, Magic Kingdom: Advance Prep White Chocolate Slipper Dessert

Paradise Pier, Disney's California Adventure, Disneyland: Birthday Treat

Paradise Pier, Disney's California Adventure, Disneyland: Birthday Treat

Liberty Tree Tavern, Magic Kingom: Birthday Treat

Liberty Tree Tavern, Magic Kingom: Birthday Treat

Boma, Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge: Advance Reserved Birthday Cake by Chef TJ

Boma, Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge: Advance Reserved Birthday Cake by Chef TJ

Boma, Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge: Inside the cake!

Boma, Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge: Inside the cake!

Chef Mickey, Disney's Contemporary Resort: Birthday Treat

Chef Mickey, Disney's Contemporary Resort: Birthday Treat

Cinderella's Royal Table, Magic Kingdom: Birthday Treat

Cinderella's Royal Table, Magic Kingdom: Birthday Treat

Another from Cinderella's Royal Table, Magic Kingdom: Birthday Treat

Another from Cinderella's Royal Table, Magic Kingdom: Birthday Treat

50's Prime Time Cafe, Disney's Hollywood Studios: Advanced Reserved Vegan Cake

50's Prime Time Cafe, Disney's Hollywood Studios: Advanced Reserved Vegan Cake

Garden Grill, Epcot Future World: Make Your Own Birthday Treat

Garden Grill, Epcot Future World: Make Your Own Birthday Treat

50's Prime Time Cafe, Disney's Hollywood Studios: Advanced Reserved Vegan Cake

50's Prime Time Cafe, Disney's Hollywood Studios: Advanced Reserved Vegan Cake

Boma, Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge: Birthday Treat

Boma, Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge: Birthday Treat

Here are three photos of an AMAZING 4th Anniversary Cake. The only instructions to Chef Brian at the California Grill were: “small, haunted mansion, 4 years, chocolate and raspberry.” Incredible.

Haunted Mansion Cake

50's Prime Time Cafe, Disney's Hollywood Studios: Birthday Treat

50's Prime Time Cafe, Disney's Hollywood Studios: Birthday Treat

Le Cellier, Epcot's World Showcase: Birthday Treat

Le Cellier, Epcot's World Showcase: Birthday Treat

Citricos, Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa: Birthday Treat

Citricos, Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa: Birthday Treat

Princess Katy's Birthday Bash at Cinderella's Royal Table, Magic Kingdom: Birthday Treat

Key Lime Creme Brulee at Narcoossee's, Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa: Birthday Treat

Narcoossee's, Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa: Birthday Treat

Narcoossee's, Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa: Birthday Treat

Cinderella's Royal Table, Magic Kingdom: Birthday Treat

Cinderella's Royal Table, Magic Kingdom: Birthday Treat

Cape May Cafe, Disney's Beach Club Resort: Birthday Treat

Cape May Cafe, Disney's Beach Club Resort: Birthday Treat

Princess Chloe at Akershus, Epcot's Norway: Pre-Ordered Birthday Cake

Princess Chloe at Akershus, Epcot's Norway: Pre-Ordered Birthday Cake

(Love this one!) 50's Prime Time Cafe, Disney's Hollywood Studios: Birthday Treat

Chef Mickey's Birthday Cake -- name is blurred as it was for a celebrity

Artist Point Birthday Cobbler

Artist Point Birthday Cobbler

Tony's Town Square Special Order Birthday Cake

Tony's Town Square Special Order Birthday Cake

Birthday at Shutters

Birthday celebration at Crystal Palace

When Reader Karen F. called for reservations at the Akershus Royal Banquet Hall, she requested a special cake for her great niece, Baylee. See below the cake that was “so delicious”!

Akershus Birthday Cake

Reader Susan P. ordered a cake from the Yacht and Beach Club Bakery to surprise her sister with an upcoming Disney Fantasy cruise. She had it delivered to Le Cellier in Epcot.

Disney Fantasy Cake!

Readers Hal and Holly shared this photo from their son’s “build your own sundae birthday celebration at Le Cellier”!

Le Cellier's Build Your Own Sundae Birthday Treat!

If you’ve got a photo to add to this gallery, let me know via facebook, twitter, or email. Thanks!

1. Sarah says:

Happy Birthday! Enjoy your big day!

2. Heidi says:

Happy Birthday to You!!!

3. Love all of the different birthday creations. We had dinner reservations for my son’s 2nd birthday at the Crystal Palace in May. When I made the ADR I had them note it was his actual birthday. Sad to say our CM ignored the glitter, did not listen when we reminded her four or more times. My two year old did not care, but his big brother was quite upset since he saw other tables celebrating. I tried several times to tell our server again and on the way out checked to make sure I had it noted on our reservations. I did, in fact it even noted the date that I had called. The amazing people at the Crystal Palace apologized and gave him something even more special than the cupcake and song. Disney truly is magical – we have done it for a birthday now and our honeymoon.

4. Kelly says:

Happy Birthday!!

I forgot when I emailed my photo in to let you know this too: we were at ‘Ohana in 2007 for breakfast on my Dad’s birthday. We were making him get a button once we reached the parks, but we hadn’t made him wear one the entire week. We walked into the restaurant with a wrapped gift for him and the hostess picked up on the fact we were carrying that gift. She asked if we were celebrating a birthday and who’s birthday it was…of course, we love to embarrass our Dad (turn about is fair play, right?) so we pointed and said, “oh, it’s his birthday!” She gave us all leis to wear so that everyone would know we were celebrating something special, sat us, and a few minutes later came by with a card and picture that was signed by everyone at the breakfast. It was a great way to start the day! …and yes, we did a character breakfast for my 55+ Dad!! Later in the day we were doing the Food & Wine festival and he kept getting free desserts! (Much to my delight since I’m the sweet tooth in the family!!)

5. Zanna says:

Happy Birthday! Don’t forget you can use pics from my Disney Birthday entry as well (http://zannaland.com/disney-birthday :D Hope you have a great day!

@Sarah and @Heidi: Thank you so much for the birthday wishes, and for being such great contributors to the blog!

@TheAngelForever: I’m so glad you posted that story — Disney’s always been very responsive to us when we’ve mentioned an issue or problem, too.

@Kelly: What a fun story about your Dad! I think character breakfasts are perfect for ANY age celebration!

7. Joanna says:

Happy Birthday! Thanks for a very informative and entertaining blog!

Thanks Zanna and Joanna!

9. April says:

Everywhere I went they sprinkled confetti on the table for my birthday, even if I didnt get a free desert. I also got a placemat at 1900 Park Fare with the charecters signatures & a happy birthday tiara!

10. ·.¸(¯`’·.¸(¯`’·.¸**HAPPY BIRTHDAY AJ**¸.·’´¯)¸.·’´¯)¸.·

Loved seeing all the possibilities for a birthday at the mouse house. Now pass me some cake please….

11. Heather says:

Happy Birthday!! Just got back from another Disney cruise/WDW trip….all these photos make me wanna be there next year on my bday!

12. Happy Birthday AJ! An excellent article and nice to see all of the fun and delicious photos!

13. James (Disneynorth) says:

A few comments from me….

During my last trip (May), we celebrated my wife’s birthday at Le Cellier. I preordered the chocolate “Celebrate today” cake. It was great. I actually wish I could have a piece of it now!

Besides getting free stuff from Birthday buttons, anniversary buttons seem to attract the same “pluses”. A few years ago, we were given anniversary buttons, which netted us complementary glasses of sparkling wine and a free bottle of wine at Le Cellier! That was probably one of the best dining experiences for us at WDW.

And finally, I just wanted to point out something special about the card you received at Crystal Palace: it has Roger Rabbit on it! That is something rare!

@April: Aren’t the placemats and Happy Birthday menus a nice touch! There’s nothing like being made to feel special on your birthday. I wonder if the birthday tiara is a standard…I’d love to have one!

@Amanda: Thank you, thank you! Cake, coming right up!

@James Chapman: Thanks, James! I’m so glad that you added Chloe’s birthday celebration to the mix!

@James (Disneynorth): A free bottle of wine! Sign me up (especially if it can be ice wine, for which I’m a total sucker!) Thank you for your comments and insights. And, yes, it DOES have Roger Rabbit on it — I thought that was cool, too. That’s the card I got several years ago, and it’s the one I just got last year, so I think they just made a whole bunch back before AK opened.

15. Emma says:

Don’t forget about the free birthday marshmallow covered in chocolate and sprinkles from MK’s Confectionery! :)

16. Allison says:

Does anyone know how much the “Celebrate Today” cakes cost? Thank you!

Hi Allison! You can contact (407) 827-2253 to ask about the cakes. I’m not sure of standard cost, or what extras cost.

18. Allison says:

Just as an FYI for others that might want to order the “Celebrate Today” cakes, they’re $21.00 (tax and gratuity not included) and do not require a 48-hour advance notice. Thanks for the phone number, AJ!

Woo! Thanks Allison!

20. CanadiansloveWDW says:

we were at le cellier for my wifes birthday last year…( we will also be there this year for her birthday) and they gave us a card signed by all the staff, including where in canada they were from.. which was cool cause one server was from the same city as i am…

21. kellie , australia says:

hi , i am having my 40th birthday breakfast at CRT and was wondering how do you order the slipper , i am also doing the tomorrowland terrace dessert party could i get something special there too

22. JoAnn says:

I think I need to take a trip to Disney for my birthday some year.

23. Christine Schell says:

We’ll be celebrating my daughter’s 14th birthday on our next trip. Question ~ do people note the birthday on all the reservations, or just the actual date of the birthday? I don’t want to be greedy, but the trip is kinda in celebration of her birthday, and I’m curious what various restaurants do. I was planning on letting her wear the birthday button the entire time we were there :-)

Christine — Note it on all of the reservations, then tell the cast member at the podium when you check in. :-) Also, tell your server if there’s a way to do so.

25. Brandy says:

We’re going the week before my birthday and we’re celebrating the whole 9 days we’re there! Which brings me to my question. Not to sound dumb but can I wear the button the whole week or is that frowned upon?

26. Brandy says:

Oops, nevermind, I just read the previous post. I’m gonna wear mine the whole time :)

27. Gale says:

Can the white chocolate cinderella shoe dessert be ordered and picked up to take to your room. I know a little girl that would love this!!

28. Kathleen says:

We will be celebrating my daughter’s 5th birthday at Disney World at the end of the month (January). My dad made reservations at the Akershus Royal Banquet Hall. What are my options for ordering a birthday cake? Can I call Akershus directly or do I need to order it through Epcot Bakery and pick it up myself? If I need to call Akershus, how do I find the number to call? I’m trying to figure this out on my own looking at various sits and blogs and am getting so confused. Also, what cake options do we have at Akershus?

Kathleen — Check out our Cake FAQ for all the answers! http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/disney-world-cakes-faq/ For more detail, check out this post about how to order a cake in Disney World: http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2011/04/27/how-to-order-a-cake-at-walt-disney-world/. You’ll need to call Disney’s cake hotline to order. They can have it at the restaurant for you. All the info is in those two links, and once you call the cake hotline, they’ll be very helpful with any other questions you may have.

30. Alex says:

We are celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary at WDW in December, I have bookings at California grill but could not find where to put the info when I booked on line? Please help

31. maggie says:

My dd’s birthday treat at the prime time café was a lot like the last picture with the Build Your Own Birthday treat from Le Cellier – in November 2012, minus the writing on the plate :)

32. Mimi G. says:

Where do you get the birthday pins at? My daughter will be celebrating her birthday while we are at WDW in February.

33. Marcela says:

Any birthday at T Rex?

I will be there for mine!

34. Mimi says:

My family and I are leaving in a week and I still have not received an answer to my post. Could someone please tell me where you get the birthday buttons. We will be celebrating my daughters birthday while there. Thank you very much.

35. Tina says:

Mimi, that’s what my grands call me. LOL You get the buttons when you check in at the resort if you are staying at DW. Just make sure and inform them that you are celebrating a Birthday and they will give you one. Make sure and let the restaurants know when you reserve. Hope this helps. Have a magical birthday.