2009 Epcot Food and Wine Festival: Today’s Food Photos!

Epcot Food and Wine Festival welcome

This post is part of our series of posts on the 2009 Epcot Food and Wine Festival.  Be sure to check out more of the posts in the series.

Hi all! I’ll be putting up separate posts all about today’s Tequila Tasting Seminar, the Epcot Food and Wine Festival Center, the Taste of Puglia seminars, and the Festival Artwork artist — Tim Rogerson — with whom I had the chance to chat. For now, I wanted to share with you all of the delicious things I got the chance to try and see today. If your suggestion didn’t make it into this round of photos, don’t worry — I’ll get to it!

A radio station was broadcasting live from Epcot!

Radio Station Broadcasting Live

Radio Station Broadcasting Live

Around the World I go! Stopped in the San Juan booth for some Arroz con Pollo and Ham Croquettes.

San Juan Booth

San Juan Booth

Arroz con Pollo

Arroz con Pollo

Ham Croquettes from San Juan Booth

Ham Croquettes from San Juan Booth

Then it was next door to Santiago, Chile, for a taste of the Corn and Cheese Arepa and the Alfajores (Dulce de Leche Cookie). I also had a chance to snap a photo of the Rock Shrimp Ceviche. I love that they put popcorn in this thing — the CM said it was a Chile tradition.

The Corn and Cheese Arepa was nothing to write home about (basically, a cornmeal pancake — rather grainy on the inside — with a sprinkling of cheese), but the Alfajor was amazing. Served chilled, this little cookie was one of the superstars for me today.

Santiago Chile Menu

Santiago Chile Menu

Ceviche

Ceviche

Dulce de Leche Cookie

Dulce de Leche Cookie

Had to show you a pic of the delicious filling

Had to show you a pic of the delicious filling

Santiago, Chile, Corn and Cheese Arepe

Santiago, Chile, Corn and Cheese Arepe

Inside the Corn and Cheese Arepe

Inside the Corn and Cheese Arepe

Next came the first of two baklavas taste-tested today (thanks for the suggestion of the Baklava Throwdown!). I’m going to write the Baklava Throwdown as a separate post, but for now, here are photos of the Marrkesh Baklava and the Athens Baklava. Which do YOU think is better?

Epcot Food and Wine Festival Athens

Athens Baklava

Athens Baklava

Marrakesh Booth

Marrakesh Booth

Marrakesh Baklava

Marrakesh Baklava

I also snapped some shots of the New York State wines booth, as I’m such a giant fan of ice wine…

Wines of New York

Wines of New York

New York State wines menu

New York State wines menu

The ice wine is all the way to the right...

The ice wine is all the way to the right...

And I got the chance to chat with Tim Rogerson, the Festival Poster Artist. I’ll write a separate blog about his work, but I snapped a fun photo of Tim with his original masterpiece. (Note: I’ll grab the price on the poster tomorrow.)

Tim Rogerson with his original painting

Tim Rogerson with his original painting

Then it was over to New Orleans for a bit of some AMAZING Chicken and Andouille Gumbo and Praline Bread Pudding with Bourbon Caramel Sauce. I can’t tell you how many happy noises I made while chowing down on these two dishes. The Praline Bread Pudding tasted like a sugar-soaked monkey bread with the perfect crunch of sugar caramelization on the top. The Gumbo was spicy and flavorful — a meal in itself.

New Orleans Booth and Menu

New Orleans Booth and Menu

New Orleans Praline Bread Pudding

New Orleans Praline Bread Pudding

Chicken and Andouille Gumbo

Chicken and Andouille Gumbo

I realized that Big Bad Voodoo Daddy was about to perform at the Eat to the Beat Concert, so I popped in to listen to the first song. I’d seen them in concert back in the 90′s, so it was fun to reminisce!

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Announcement

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Announcement

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Performing at Eat to the Beat

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Performing at Eat to the Beat

Continuing my tour, I headed to Melbourne, Australia, for a bite of Grilled Lamb Chop, Red Wine Sauce, and Murray River Sea Salt.

Melbourne, Australia Booth

Melbourne, Australia Booth

Grilled Lamb Chop, Red Wine Sauce, Murray River Sea Salt

Grilled Lamb Chop, Red Wine Sauce, Murray River Sea Salt

Finally, I headed over to the China booth to try a Green Tea Plum Wine Cooler. This drink was absolutely delicious. I highly recommend it to anyone. In fact, I liked it so much, I went back and got a photo of the Plum Wine bottle! Also got a shot of the rice pancake.

Shanghai, China Booth

Shanghai, China Booth

Green Tea Plum Wine Cooler, China

Green Tea Plum Wine Cooler, China

Plum Wine

Plum Wine

The Plum Wine pour and some rice pancakes in the China booth

The Plum Wine pour and some rice pancakes in the China booth

Whew!! I hope you’re still with me! I’ll be back tomorrow with more — and stay tuned for my Tequila Tasting Seminar post coming soon!

1. Heather says:

WOW, that bread pudding looks amazing! My mother-in-law was Argentine and would bring home alfajores whenever she would come back from her trips. I’ll have to try that alfajor one of these days- they’re one of my favorite cookies. Great photos!!

2. Jackey says:

Boy did you get some great food! The baklava looks really yummyy. Although I don’t know what it is, it looks good. I like that New York wine station. It might because I am from NJ but whatev. Then Big Bad VooDoo Daddy! I love them. There amazing, I especially love there Christmas music the best.

3. Laura says:

Thank you for the pictures and reviews. I can’t wait to go! What did you think of the foods at the Puerto Rico booth and the Australian lamb chop?

4. Great photos :) Reminds me that one of these days I want to try the NY Ice Wine. My brother raves about it and we always have people asking us to get it for them.

5. Kelly says:

The ice wine is from a winery 15 minutes down the road, it’s a gorgeous place and they have a lot of really nice wines! Dr. Frank is a legend in NYS for bringing Riesling to the area!

6. Gray says:

Everything there looks soooo good! This festival reminds me of the late, lamented Green Mountain Chew Chew Festival, a food festival here in Burlington, VT. I love grazing, so festivals like this are a great opportunity to sample foods I’ve never tried before without committing to an entire plateful. You have some great photos here, by the way.

7. Kelly says:

Gray, my boyfriend is from Burlington and since he hasn’t been to F&W, he keeps comparing the festival to Chew Chew!

8. Heidi says:

Hey AJ,

Great post! That dulce de leche cookie looks amazing!! Thanks for posting:)

Heather: Thanks for correcting my grammar on the alfajor! Yes — it was incredible. I’m dragging my family back there today so they can all get one!

Jackey: The baklava is a mediterranean pastry made with walnuts, honey, and phyllo dough. It’s amazing. I wish I’d ordered it at Kouzzina a couple of days ago!

Laura: The Arroz con Pollo from the Puerto Rico booth was wonderful, and I really enjoyed the lamb from the Melbourne, Australia, booth — in fact, I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would! It was extremely flavorful.

TheAngelForever and Kelly: I just love ice wine. Discovered it at Le Cellier many years ago and actually received a bottle for Christmas one year because of my addiction ;-)

Gray: You’ve gotta make it down for the Festival on your next trip. I think you’d REALLY enjoy it. It’s the perfect solo adventure.

Heidi: I can’t even tell you how good that cookie was. The fact that it was kept chilled made all the difference. Tasted like chilled dough from the fridge before you make Christmas cookies…

10. Mmmm! Great photos! Glad to see pics of stuff I haven’t tried yet! Think I will have to make it over to New Orleans for that bread pudding next trip!!!

11. Leota says:

Definately don’t miss the Dr. Frank’s! I think it’s one of the world’s best Rieslings. Going to Dr. Frank’s for a tasting is a yearly pilgrimage for us. Fantastic wines.

Did the New Orleans booth offer Tabasco for the Gumbo?

Thanks for the gorgeous pictures. I’m really looking forward to our trip to the Festival in just a couple weeks.

Amanda: You’re gonna love it!

Leota: I’m so glad you like the blog! Hmm…I don’t remember Tabasco…

13. Watch Me Eat says:

Looks good! I need to visit Epcot during the Food Festival. I think I was there once during the event probably about 8 years ago and didn’t partake in any of the food!

When you go around trying all of these different foods, are you paying individually for each item? From your pictures, the menus that I noticed seem to have prices around $2-$5 for each dish. Is everything à la carte, or does Disney sell some sort of package where you get to try everything for a set price (like the other local food festivals do)? Without a package deal, I could imagine how expensive it must be to go around and try everything.

WME: Yep — it definitely gets expensive. That’s why I sneak around trying to take photos of people’s food all the time. ;-D Disney does have several dining plans, which you can purchase as an add-on to your vacation packages. Each dining plan includes several “snack” credits, which you can use to purchase items at the Food and Wine Festival. This mitigates the cost a bit if you’re on the dining plan.

15. Laura says:

Leota- They had tiny little bottles of Tabasco last year at the New Orleans booth to have with the food (no extra charge).

16. Barbara Flores says:

Hello,
    Looks like you’re having a great time, enjoy all the great aromas. Asking for some help, I was at Epcot in August and in the France area I tasted some champane mixed with some purple wine(currents??) great combo but cant remenber the names so I can try here at home. About a 10.00 glass sample, any thoughts on what that was??Thank you

Laura: Thanks for responding!

Barbara: I’ll check when I’m next in France. If anyone else has an idea — feel free to respond!

18. Watch Me Eat says:

Thanks for the info. As a local, dining plans are something I don’t do…

I don’t do the dining plan either, WME — our Annual Passholder discount gives us more savings, so we foot the bill on our meals. But you can definitely enjoy the F&W Festival as a “dinner out.” If you spend what you’d spend on a meal at a restaurant, you can still get a pretty good amount of food.

20. Annabelle says:

Love your work! Just celebrated my 37th anniversary (wedding) with a fantastic martini using ice wine. Equal parts Ketel One and Ice Wine. Originally was signature martini at Le Cellier. Fantastic!

Will be down 10/16-24 and just cannot wait! Thanks for the anticipation!

Annabelle — Congrats on your Anniversary! Sounds like a great way to celebrate. Looking forward to hearing all about your trip!

22. [...] 2009 Epcot Food and Wine Festival: Today’s Food Photos! [...]

23. Doris Drivas says:

Barbara: I believe that you may have enjoyed a Kir Royale – a combination of champagne

and Chambord Liqueur. Delicious!

Doris — thanks for your response! Sounds right to me! Yum!