“You Won’t Believe This!” Snack — Butterfinger Cupcake

UPDATE!: See our 2012 re-review of this iconic cupcake here!

Guys, you know how much I love food. And you know by now that I can pack away some serious meals. But I think I’ve finally found a snack in Disney World that I wasn’t able to conquer. In fact, I bought it simply because I wasn’t sure it was even real!

A few months ago, someone posted a photo of a “butterfinger muffin” on the forum at WDWforGrownups.com. The photo looked like the “muffin” was a chocolate cupcake covered in icing, then dipped in chocolate and topped off with butterfinger crumbs. Being a HUGE frosting fan, I couldn’t wait to find out more about this thing. So we headed over to Starring Rolls bakery one early morning last week…

Starring Rolls Cafe

…and, sure enough, I find this:

Cupcake and Butterfinger Muffin

Cupcake and Butterfinger Muffin

So, guiltily, I buy one. In the name of research, of course. I head outside, fully aware that this thing is simply monstrous, and grab a couple of forks and knives. (There’s no way one little plastic utensil is going to suffice for this thing.) And I cut into the mountain of toppings on the cupcake.

Butterfinger Muffin

Butterfinger Muffin

First Incision

First Incision

The frosting is magnificent, as we knew it would be. There’s nothing like a bunch of lard and sugar to start your day right, I always say. From there, I decided to cut the thing in half, just to get a good cross-section for those of you who might be curious, but unwilling to actually dig in yourselves:

Butterfinger Muffin Bisected

Butterfinger Muffin Bisected

And what did I find?!? Chocolate Frosting! Chocolate Frosting in the middle of the cupcake! Oh my heavens! I’m pretty sure I died and went to heaven. Whoever invented this cupcake/muffin took all of my guilty pleasures and wrapped them into one ginormous mountain of happiness.

A Yummy Chocolate Frosting-y Center

A Yummy Chocolate Frosting-y Center

Now, my friends, we had lunch reservations in a few hours, so I wasn’t able to finish off this muffin. In fact, I barely made a dent. But it feels good and right to know that the Butterfinger Muffin is there — waiting for me with all of its chocolate-y and frosting-topped goodness — when I need it.

Let me know if you try it — and if you are able to eat the whole thing!

1. Ashley says:

Oh My Goodness! That looks DIVINE!!! Gonna have to try one of those!!!

2. James (Disneynorth) says:

To steal an often used quote from Gossip Girl (yes my guilty little TV pleasure): OMG!!

That things is monstorous! Just looking at it makes me both hungry and sick.

I may have to order one the next time I’m there.

Ashley — It’s a challenge you just can’t refuse!

James — Exactly! It DOES make me both hungry and sick. Those first few bites are pure heaven, and then you’re tempted to avoid all sugar for a week!

4. Gray says:

I can feel my blood sugar spiking just looking at the pictures! LOL. I do love butterfingers, though. I might have to try this one day. Maybe I can find someone to share it with so I don’t have to eat the whole thing. I wonder who thought up this creation?

5. Ashley says:

…speechless! That is the most delicious thing I have ever seen! Was it super rich? Hmmm I may have to drag Hubby out there for a tasting, thanks for the heads up!

6. Stephanie says:

oh my. I must find a way to make a lactose free version of this monster. oh dear. It’s just so..soo… man I miss butterfingers! (the wheels in my mind are a turning!)

Gray: No kidding! I’m sure that eating it early in the morning on an empty stomach was a good choice (insert sarcasm smiley here).

Ashley: It was rich in that my senses were completely overtaken by sugar, butter/lard, and chocolate! Definitely something to share with hubby.

Stephanie: Be sure to let me know when you develop your recipe!

8. Nina Dean says:

Oh my goodness…anything with the word butterfinger is MINE ALL MINE! I need to go to WDW just for this.

9. Chris says:

This is too funny–you are a hoot!

10. JaimJaim says:

OK, I will be there in 3 days and there is no doubt that will be my first purchase…Dole Whip soon to follow, lol.

11. Jackey says:

That is just ridiculous! Someone send that over this way.

12. Someone check my sugar please!

13. [...] next day was spent at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, so I took the advice of AJ at The Disney Food Blog and ordered the Butterfinger cupcake at Starring Rolls. I know, I know, not [...]

14. Tammy Gordon says:

ZOMG. Someone needs to break these bad boys down into a home recipe. And right now, in this blizzard, I *might* be the one to do it. Or beg a Disney pastry chef. Pleeease!

Ha ha! For real, Tammy! If you do it, let me know!

16. [...] “You Won’t Believe This!” Snack — Butterfinger Muffin | the disney food blog. [...]

17. John says:

Gonna have to give this a try this summer! Is that a Spies Like Us reference with the first incision?

Hey John! No reference, but you can take from it what you will :-)

19. Joy4Tigger says:

Are you sure it’s made with lard? I hope not! :-(

20. pap says:

I was very excited to try this! And I did.
    I really thought I would love it, but I really – really didn’t.
    There wasn’t enough frosting, and the cupcake itself was wayyyyyy too sweet.
    I felt sick after having just a few bites! And my husband felt the same.

pap — I’m so sorry you didn’t like it! Take me with you next time and I’ll finish yours :-) They must have someone new doing the frosting, as I’ve never seen one without enough. :-(

22. Sarah says:

Can anyone else confirm the lard thing?! I really hope it’s butter!

23. Marilyn says:

I have to disagree with you – on your suggestion, we made a special trip to the Studios last week and bought 2 of the Butterfinger cupcakes. Our reaction – we will not buy them again. Give us the Black Forest cupcakes!!! They are absolutely unbeatable!!!!

Marilyn — you’re killing me! ;-)

25. Corey says:

I’ve eaten a whole one (I like sweets, and rich things don’t bother me to where I can only eat so much of them). While I liked the BF cupcake, I thought it could be amazing with just a couple of adjustments. First, I thought the icing on top was actually too light/whipped topping like. I would have preferred more buttery butter cream. That was small compared to the BF being too understated. I would have larger BF pieces, and mix them all through the icing instead of the dusting that just sits on top of the icing. Now THAT would make a true BF cupcake.

Corey — no kidding?! I thought the icing was super thick! I wonder if you got a bad batch :-) Also, great idea to mix the BF pieces through the icing. That would be an interesting variation. Not sure which one I’d like better…

27. Jaime says:

Does this yummy looking thing count as a snack credit and can I get it as a dessert with a CS meal there?

Jaime, it is a snack credit, but not a dessert. :-)

29. Jaime says:

Thanks! That is going to be a great use of a snack credit! What are my options for dessert there if I did CS lunch? Never did the dining plan before, so I am learning. I want to make the most out of each credit.

30. Leslie says:

This was a great use for a snack credit last week! My DH, DD and I shared one cake. It was just as great as you say, YUM!

31. Katie says:

Ok – so this made the top of our snack list but starring rolls was closed when we got there around 5:30 pm. Luckily, my ddh and 2 boys made an last day trip to HS while I packed the bags. They returned with … ta-da… two of these confectionery wonders. Let me just say that the combination of their thoughtfulness and this unbelievable dessert made for a memorable breakfast. Thank you for the tip!

32. Amanda says:

My family got this on our trip in December and it was in fact delicious! thanks so much for the tip!

33. Kerry says:

YES, I’ve tried it, and NO I couldn’t finish it, and that was even with my daughter “helping” me. Actually the DH and I both got one, and neither of us could finish it, the guilt over that, but I didn’t want to go into sugar shock at HS. Though I was doing everything twice as fast, after the cupcake, than I was before it…..lol. It really was so worth it. Butterfingers are my favorite candy, and alcoholic drink :)! so why wouldn’t I love this, too.