Stop the Presses: New Pizza Place in Disney World?!

Don’t get too excited; we don’t know too much yet, but MousePlanet has reported the following:

It appears that a new pizzeria will be coming to Epcot’s Italy pavilion. A construction permit has been filed for construction of the new pizzeria, naming the Patina Group as the owner/operator of the facility. Patina also owns and operates Tutto Italia.

This would be a welcome addition, as WDW has — shall we say — never been especially known for it’s pizza…

1. Sarah says:

I hope it’s a really good thin crust, traditional Italian pizza…YUM!

2. Cody says:

i wonder where it would go?? an already in use buidling? OR a whole new building? there is SO much space not in use around Italy

If true this would definately be GREAT addition, even though i kinda like Pinocchio’s pizza :)

3. Gray says:

A quality pizza place in Epcot’s Italy would be most welcome indeed. I’m assuming this would be a counter service restaurant?

4. Ooo I hope it’s a specialty pizza shop! Prosciutto pizza is one of my favorite dishes.

5. Matthew says:

A restaurant like this has been on the boards for years at Italy. If memory serves from some of the last models I saw at imagineering years ago, it will go in the rear right of the pavilion. Regardless, it would be great to have an expanded Italy pavilion.

6. Shayne says:

This would be a GREAT addition to the Italy pavilion, which I have always thought was not utilized to its full potential.

7. James (Disneynorth) says:

This is very good news. If it is a Table Service, you can expect to book your ADR 180 in advance, in my opinion.

8. Heidi says:

Yeah! My daughter had a really good flat bread pizza at The Contempo Cafe at The Contemporary Resort the other day–I can highly recommend this pizza!

9. Chip says:

I will see what I can find out when I am there next month and be sure to take some photos for you :)

10. ErwinM says:

It would be great if they can get a seal of approval from the certifying authority in Naples that they are making traditional Neapolitan pizza. Then there could be a good Epcot-style educational opportunity about the history and traditions of pizza making.

Not holding out hope since it’s being run by a restaurant group, but it’s nice to dream.

11. wdwprince says:

I agree with ErwinM. World Showcase is a place to experience food and culture that perhaps you haven’t before. Who hasn’t tried pizza? Naples is the only city in Italy where I ate pizza. If the Italian Pavilion is going to do pizza, make it authentic. A pizza stand in the middle of World Showcase would be like bringing back more McDonalds products into the Magic Kingdom.

12. Lori says:

We are vegetarian and need more choices while visiting WDW.
    Would love to see some veggie wraps and larger salads (meatless).

13. chris says:

Please please please let someone at Disney figure out wood fired pizza and buffalo mozzarella. It’s not rocket science–if anyone should be able to make a good, authentic pizza, it’s Disney.

14. chris says:

Erwin, I was thinking the exact same thing! What a coup for Disney to do that.

Fingers crossed, all!

Also, in case you didn’t already see it, Progress City USA has a great piece about the potential pizza spot in Italy.