Et le gagnant est…

As I write this blog post, over 450 votes have been cast in the Walt Disney World Bakery Throw Down, and the runaway winner is…

Congratulations to the French Boulangerie Patisserie in Epcot on your napoleons, your cream puffs, your pain au chocolat, eclair, and schuss! You have won the Walt Disney World Bakery Throw Down fair and square!

What's Your Favorite Bakery in Walt Disney World?

• Boulangerie Patisserie (Epcot) (40%)
  • Main Street Bakery (Magic Kingdom) (27%)
  • Kringla Bakeri og Kafe (Epcot) (13%)
  • Boardwalk Bakery (Boardwalk) (11%)
  • Starring Rolls Bakery (Disney's Hollywood Studios) (8%)
  • Other (1%)
Loading ... Loading ...

You can see some mouthwatering photos from the winning bakery in our Boulangerie Patisserie blog post, and, of course, visit yourself in Epcot’s France pavilion!

Thank You For Voting!
Thank you for voting in the Throw Down! Now, I know that the winner wasn’t everyone’s first choice (Michael and Mush I know were pulling for Kringla…albeit for different reasons entirely…). 120+ votes is nothing to sneeze at, Main Street Bakery, and Kringla and Boardwalk pulling in over 50 each means they’ve got some fans as well.

Personally, I voted for the loser: Starring Rolls, which has received almost 40 votes as of this writing. What can I say — the Butterfinger Cupcake shall not be tamed.

Three folks, we should definitely mention, voted “other.” I know the Fountainview was mentioned as a suggestion, at least before it went all-ice-cream-all-the-time.

If you’d like to see how the bakeries stack up against one another, check out the posts written on each one. There are dozens — DOZENS — of photos to look at, but I’ll warn you…don’t do this to yourself when you’re hungry! Go get an apple or something and then look at them, okay?

Thanks again, everyone, for rolling along with me through the Throw Down! Now… who wants to suggest the NEXT item for a Disney Food Throw Down?!? Suggestions requested… leave a comment below!

What fun! I do love a good pastry. My next Disney trip, however, I plan to have the cheese platter at Boulangerie Patisserie

Yeah, Boulangerie!

As for another throw down, how about the best candy shop on property? World showcase offers several, while Main Street and Sunset offer both candies and viewing to watch the treats made. Or maybe something along the lines of best fixins bar?

Oh, sad, now I’m hungry again…

3. Sarah says

I like Ryan’s idea for the candy shops, even though I’m not a big candy/sweets fan.

How about a Sushi Throwdown?

4. Allison says

Had to vote for Kringla, but only because I’ve never experiences Boulangerie – it’s at the top of my list for my trip in March. :-)

Janna — ME TOO. Main St. Gazette’s picture of that cheese plate was gorgeous.

Ryan — Candy shops is a great idea. I can already think of three that I wouldn’t be able to choose between… I like fixin’s bars, but I’d have to make another trip to get the photos…oh wait, liking it even better now… ;-)

Sarah — Sushi throw down is an excellent idea, too — again, I’m thinking of three spots that would be contestants.

Allison — Let us know how you like the Boulangerie!

Im thinking that next time i go to epcot (HOPEFULLY this weekend..haha) i might have to stop in France for a bite to see what the big deal is… :)

This was a fun challenge. I loved reading about each of the bakeries. I voted Kringla but it was a really hard choice as each and every bakery has a specialty that isn’t to be missed.

The photographs were wonderful, great job.

The sweet shop throwdown sounds fun, I’d read it. How about the best steak?

8. Jeff W says

I’ll go ahead and second the request for a steakhouse throwdown (although I don’t think it’d be too much of a mystery as to which one would win; what *would* be the mystery is *why* it’d win).

And I’m happy to see the Boulangerie (my first choice, though I really and truly agonized over whether I should go with France or Norway, as they’re both top-danged-notch) take the blue ribbon. And personally (though there’s really no such thing as a “bad” pastry), I’d give the runner up the prize for Most Overrated Disney Bakery. But that’s just me and, well, I am a prickly sort, fo’ sho’.

9. Tricia says

I love the idea of a Candy Shop thru down, but make sure you include California Grill if you do Sushi! Yoshi is the best!

Oh, quick aside. I checked on the Schuss, and they have been experimenting with different formats for presentation. When I was there they were cutting it into cheesecake type slices rather than the traditional blocks or the domes we had seen recently. As for the recipe, I was told there haven’t been any recent changes to the formula, and there are none planned for the foreseeable future.

Traci — Sounds like a perfect meal to me: cheese and alcohol. Now just add a little chocolate, and we’re good to go!

Steve — Buffet throw down — I LOVE IT! You’re right, we could do a breakfast throw down, lunch throw down, and dinner throw down. Very cool.

MaumeeMom — I’ve been promising a steak throw down for a long time, but I want Jeff W to write it. ;-)

Matt — Ha! Insert witty response here about swigging Hennessy in Future World.

Kelly — A kindred spirit!

Jeff W — We welcome prickly sorts here. And I still think you should guest blog the steakhouse throw down.

Tricia — Cali Grill would def. be on the list for sushi throw down!

Ryan — Thank you for the updates. I guess ya gotta do something to mix it up!

I like the buffet throw down considering I will be at every one of them in a weeks time…
    Chef Mickey’s is a hard buffet to beat :)

13. Jeff W says

AJ – Don’t get me wrong, I’d love nothing more than to guest blog about that very thing, but a) I’ve not been to all of the steakhouses (never been to Shula’s), and b) our info/pics from the other places is rather out-of-date (last visited Yachtsman in the spring of ’08, and last visited LeCellier in the late summer of ’05).

Now, if you’d be willing to put up the dough to get me and the wife to WDW, put us up in a hotel (*cough*on-property*cough*), pay for our admission to the parks, and also pay for our meals at the aforementioned steakhouses, well, then, I’d be MORE than happy to write up a guest blog for ya! ;-)

Chip: I dunno…I really like Tusker House, Cape May, and Crystal Palace, too. A buffet throw down could really get competitive methinks!

Jeff W: I’m afraid my budget doesn’t stretch QUITE that far ;-) Maybe we can collaborate on the writing; I’ve loved your comments about the steakhouses so far and will definitely include them, with your permission, in any steakhouse throw down that’s posted.

We were here over the weekend and visited Boulangerie because of the recommendations on this blog. I asked the cast member which dessert she recommended because I LOVE chocolate croissants, but to be honest, they didn’t look that great. She suggested I try the pithvier and it was TO DIE FOR. Almond-flavored desserts are always a hit for me, but this was so moist and flaky and delicious, even those who don’t necessarily go for almond flavor will appreciate it.