What is Your Most-Missed Extinct Disney Food?

We’ve been talking a lot about new restaurants and new menu items these past few weeks, but for many Disney food fans the long-lost favorites really stick in their memories.

I decided that we need to pay tribute to some of these famous dishes and want to find out: What are your most-missed extinct Disney dishes? I’ll start the ball rolling with a few of my own!

Fried Boursin Cheese at 50’s Prime Time Cafe

UPDATE –> This one is back!! Woo!! This is, no doubt, my most missed dish in a Disney restaurant. While it’s meant to be shared, you know I ordered one all for myself when I visited 50’s Prime Time Cafe in Disney’s Hollywood Studios!

Fried Boursin Cheese at 50\’s Prime Time Cafe

This is basically herb cheese spread that’s fried and served with fruit and bread crisps. Pretty standard, eh? But that warm, creamy cheese coupled with the sweet fresh fruit was the perfect starter!

Maui Scalloped Potatoes at ‘Ohana

There have been several appetizer changes at ‘Ohana in the past several years, but the most devastating has to be the switch from scalloped potatoes to noodles. (You can read the whole, sad story here…in fact, please do, because I’m uncharacteristically funny in that blog post and it will change your whole perception of me, I promise.)

RIP Scalloped Potatoes (photo courtesy Brett Young)

Meyer Lemon Curd Dessert at Jiko

You know I love Lemon Curd, so to have an entire dessert based around the stuff at Jiko in Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge was quite a find. And when they added blueberries and sour cream ice cream? Sold.

By the way, the photographers there are Morgan and Jeff RookS; apologies for the misspelling!

Meyer Lemon Curd with Blueberries, Biscotti, and Sour Cream Ice Cream

Meyer Lemon Curd with Blueberries, Biscotti, and Sour Cream Ice Cream

So those are my top three favorite extinct dishes, but here are a few more to remember!

We asked our facebook friends what their favorites used to be, and we got a long list of mourned menu items! Here are a couple of stand-outs…

French Toast Loaf from Main Street Bakery

The beloved French Toast Loaf at Main Street Bakery was a go-to breakfast for many Disney guests. It recently fell off of the menu there, and while we’re still hoping to see it back, no dice so far…

French Toast Loaf from the Main Street Bakery

Figaro Fries from Pinocchio Village Haus

And for the savory treats, Figaro Fries made a strong appearance in this list. These were also just recently removed from the menu — this time at Pinocchio Village Haus — and while we saw a few copycat dishes at nearby counter-service locations, there’s nothing like them anymore.

Figaro Fries

How About You?

While we didn’t discuss every extinct dish in Disney’s restaurants, cruise ships, and theme parks, there are hundreds (maybe thousands) of treats and menu items that you may have loved at one point and now can’t find anywhere in the Happiest Place on Earth (*Cough*Handwich*Cough*).

I’d love to hear what YOU miss, so let us know in the comments below!

Oh, and there’s always hope that your favorites could return — after all, look at the Citrus Swirl!!

Photo Credits (all photos are copyrighted to their photographers and are not to be re-used):
French Toast Loaf: Kelly Tressler
Fried Boursin Cheese: Howard D. Lanham, Chef and Newspaper Columnist, “Speaking of Food…”, www.foodiepedia.info
Lemon Curd: Morgan & Jeff Rooks
Maui Scalloped Potatoes: Brett Young
Figaro Fries: JackSkellington101

@Nikki – I LOVED those cheesy grits! I used to order them with whatever I got at Coral Reef, and I miss them terribly too.

2. Katie says

Years ago at the Main Street Bakery in Magic Kingdom sold these mickey head shaped chocolate bundt cakes… They were THE BEST!!!

3. Shawn says

The old fried mozz. Mickey Mouse shaped things used to be sold near the haunted mansion. And those fritter things with whipped cream and other sweet stuff near toon town and its a small world

4. Michael says

The make your own pizza’s at Pioneer hall and the pitchers of sasparilla (not root beer folks)… After many years absence I began taking my own family to WDW and when we went to Pioneer hall I was so very disappointed… part of my childhood gone….. Trails End Buffet was probably my worst dining experience ever…. too bad

5. Katie says

Chipotle Pork Chop with Smashed Potatoes and Bacon & Mushroom Ragout at Cinderella’s Royal Table :(

The white chocolate shoe at Cinderella’s Royal Table

Blue Dolphin drink at Coral Reef (came with a blue plastic dolphin on the glass)

6. Carrie says

You can still get the white chocolate slipper at CRT, you just have to order ahead:1 (407) 824-4477.

7. Mary says

I’m sorry, but Figaro fries are probably my least favorite thing that I have ever eaten at Disney World. That was a dish that had to go!

8. Bernice says

Breakfast Lasagna – Crystal Palace MK. So yummy! They replaced it with a peach cobbler that just does not cut it for me.

9. Linda says

The TACOS at Tortuga Tavern at the Magic Kingdom. We ate them every trip and the kids loved them too. Kid aren’t too big on taco salad and burritos. AND the McDonalds french fries at the Magic Kingdom (between Adventureland and Frontierland)……so nice to grab a couple boxes and walk around snacking on them.

10. Becky says

The deli sandwich and smoothie from Pure & Simple in Wonders of Life and the ambrosia at Cape May Cafe.

Red velvet cheesecake at the Sci-fi Dine-In in Disney’s Hollywood Studios. I had it on my last visit in August, and it was by far one of the most decadent desserts there–and as someone who considers dessert the epitome of my meal, that’s quite a statement. It was cheesecake surrounded by a whit chocolate dome, which stood atop warm red velvet cake that was surrounded by a chocolate-toffee ganache. Scrumptious.

12. Adam says

Miss those beaver tails! I though I’d miss the pineapple w/ caramel at O’Hana til I tried the bread pudding! Yum!

13. Joni says

Apple crisp at Rain Forest, Mini carrot muffins a t The “Land Good Turn” Stuffed Mushrooms at the Org. Alfredos, Cinn. Yummy’s at Boardwalk Bakery, Monerail Purple at Top of the World Lounge, are some of my losses

14. Dannie Burton says

I miss the lasagna from Village Haus, the Sun Dried Tomato spread at Stromboli’s but most of all Fantasia Ice Cream.

15. Kelli says

There used to be a “Bayou Cruncher” at what used to be Dixie Landings in the 90s. I miss them!

16. Shari says

The Tavern Fried Cheese at the Liberty Tree Tavern in Magic Kingdom used to be made with small cheese curds, fried to perfection. It was very similar to what you would get in Wisconsin. Now, they are basic fried mozarella sticks that could have been purchased from the supermarket frozen food case. Thankfully, the pot roast and ooey gooey toffee cake are still perfect!

Shari — We greatly miss the cheese curds as well! Couldn’t believe it the first time I went and they’d replaced them with “food service” cheese sticks. Ugh!

18. Joni says

There are so many things they could get rid of but stick around for ever.
    And the beloved favorites come and go. WHY Disney WHY?
    I miss the ribs at Cape May’s also. Just went 12/11 and sadly will probably not be going back. Not just because of that but it is lacking what it use to, Hate it when they start out great then start to cut cost here and there thinking we won’t notice as the price still rises. We notice oh yea we notice.

The Teriyaki Burger! This was a piece of probably-not-beef sharing its bun with a slice of pineapple and corn-syrup-sticky teriyaki sauce, a concoction which Kikkoman (sponsor of the restaurant) had perfected in 1961. These were served in Adventureland, at Adventureland Veranda. The AV building is behind the Aloha Isle stand. The space has been used off and on, including re-opening when Pecos Bill’s was closed in 2009 or so. It now houses Tinkerbell’s Nook. Back in the 70s, Disney World “quick service” food was pretty much all hamburgers, hot dogs and fries. And, yes, AV also served by brother’s favorite: a highly suspect staple of many a childhood Magic Kingdom visit – the Sweet and Sour Hot Dog.

20. Ellie says

My most-missed dish is the chicken wrap from Pecos Bill’s in Frontierland. It was as big as my head, and it was my first-day-of-vacation tradition to go directly to Pecos for a wrap before riding Pirates! Now I have to settle for a taco salad – no chicken wrap but not a bad deal, either!

21. Leigh-Ann says

I remember when Crystal Palace was a buffeteria. I used to look forward to the beef tips bourgunion in the pastry shell.

22. Joni says

I also miss, The stuffed mushrooms at the old Alfredo’s in Epcot, Cinn. Yummy’s at Boardwalk Bakery, The “Good Morning” breakfast at the old “Good Turn” restaurant in Epcot. The Rosemary cornbread at House of Blues, Beef and Barley soup at the old King Stephan’s, 5-Cheese mac and cheese at Wolfgang Puck Express, Bomfamille’s at Port Orleans I miss that whole place. When the Germany Pavilion restaurant was not a buffet I loved the veggie soup and pretzel’s. I miss the Fireworks Factory and their Warm freshly baked giant Choc. Chip Cookie served n a small cast iron skillet. The Apple crisp at the Rainforest. But I am SO happy the brought back the Orig. Citrus Swirl !!!! :)

23. Ansley says

When I was little we tended to go the Magic Kingdom in the colder months. And my family’s favorite was the chili in a bread bowl at the Pinocchio Village Haus. So delightful and perfect for snuggling up with while escaping the cold.

24. Maria says

I really miss the Berry Tart at Kringla in the Norway Pavilion! We would always get one on every trip to WDW. Lots of chocolate, raspberries, blueberries.. Yum!

25. Lesley says

Do you or anyone remember the juice that use to be served in the Orange Bird cups at Sunshine Terrace back in the 80s? I also remember there was grape shaped cup as well?…am I crazy?

26. Patricia says

The Goofy Burger. 1994 was our first visit to WDW and my husband had one at a place at DTD.

27. Sam says

I miss the hot dogs from Pinocchio Village Haus. These were by far the best dogs in WDW. They were big meaty and tasty! Casey’s dogs are good but not in the same league as the old Pinocchio dogs!

28. Virginia says

The Starboard Sandwich from the Columbia Harbor House!!! This was my absolute favorite sandwich in WDW and was taken out in 2008. We had the Boardwalk kitchen recreate this a la tea sandwich for my wedding cocktail hour last year and they were pretty dead on to the recipe– and the chefs and planners and all of our guests were all like “Woah, this was a thing?!” I have no idea why it disappeared but miss it so much– there is nothing else like it out there.

29. Kim says

I miss the macadamia crusted chicken at CS Wolf Gang Puck in DTD. It was so good paired with the mashed potatoes!

30. Lorraine says

My husband was devastated to find out that the shrimp in green curry sauce was gone off the menu at Sanaa when we went recently. The sauce on that was so good that you could just drink it. So sad.

31. Molly says

The lemon posset at the Rose and Crown. I do at least have the recipe, but it’s pretty time consuming and generally a pain in the butt to make.

32. Ron says

This is going back a little ways, but I miss the Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches outside of the Indiana Jones show. This of corse was when the park was named Disney MGM Studios… Great memories!

33. Martha says

The best dessert ever was chocolate crème brulee at Tony’s in the Magic Kingdom.

34. Liana says

I’m so disappointed to see that no one else misses the Strawberry Swirl from MK’s former Enchanted Grove! Cold and delicious vanilla soft serve swirled with frozen strawberry goodness. I grew up with that snack and had it every time I visited the park before it disappeared in 2008. Apparently a falling out with Bacardi partnership I heard?