Tip from the DFB Guide: Free Tours at Animal Kingdom Lodge Restaurants

We’ve added lots of fun and new dining info to our updated e-Book — The DFB Guide to Walt Disney World® Dining 2013. One of my favorite tips in the book is the recommendation of the free tours at the Animal Kingdom Lodge restaurants! Yep, free!

After you read all about this great Disney Dining Tip, learn more about our DFB Guide to Walt Disney World Dining grand launch — including a limited-time discount code — here!

Animal Kingdom Lodge Restaurant Tours

The Animal Kingdom Lodge in Walt Disney World is known for quality table-service restaurants that offer some exotic menu items and exquisite, African-themed decor. But there’s a way to explore the restaurants without actually dining there!

Learn The Meaning Behind the Decor At Jiko Restaurant

Jiko, Boma, and Sanaa offer half-hour culinary tours each day! These tours cover some of the decor and meaning behind the architecture of the restaurants, and also explain certain menu items. You may even get to sample some of the restaurant’s dishes.

You can see our review of the Boma and Jiko Tour here.

Seating at Sanaa

When you don’t have time to eat at each restaurant, these free tours will allow you to take in the detailed atmosphere without an Advance Dining Reservation.

Bread and Dip Tasting at Jiko

Bread and Dip Tasting at Jiko

Stop by the Front Desk to inquire about the current schedule and meeting spots. These restaurant tours usually take place at 4 pm most days of the week, and, as far as we know, you don’t have to be staying at the resort to take the tour.

Find more info on great free food-related events and many other budget planning tips for eating in Walt Disney World in The DFB Guide to Walt Disney World® Dining 2013! Don’t forget to use code 2013 to get a $4 discount on the price for a limited time!

Have you participated in one of these tours? Or know another fun FREE Disney food activity? Let us know in the comments below!

1. Dennis says:

I wish I knew this a few weeks ago when we ate at BOMA. Will check this out next time!

Dennis — It’s a really fun tip, eh?? They’ve been doing this for quite some time, and I think it might be because some folks are a little intimidated by the menu. To see it up close and taste some things makes it easier to choose to dine here!

3. Jill says:

I would like to download the new book, but am confused. I have an iPad and iPhone. Do I have to download to my iTunes account first? After that, do I just plug in my iPad to the computer? I did down load the snack book, but think I just did it from the iPad. I am computer literate, but this is a new one on me. Oh yes, I downloaded the other one to kindle on my iPad.

Another question, where cam we get crime brûlée besides the French restaurants. Thank you so much and sorry this so long

Hi Jill! An easy way to get the book onto your iPad and iPhone is to save it to your computer, then drag the file into iBooks on your iTunes account like you mentioned. Then the books will sync to the devices! Here are some handy instructions.

And creme brulee is one of the most common desserts in Disney World! We’ll be doing a post all about it soon, but you can get creme brulee (off and on…sometimes dessert menus change) at Tony’s Town Square, Jiko, Fresh, Le Cellier, Narcoossee’s, the boulangerie patisserie in France as well as the table-service restaurants, Citricos, Yachtsman Steakhouse, Planet Hollywood, and quite a few other spots! :-)

5. Shayne says:

Cool! We are staying at AKL for the first time in October, but we won’t have time to eat at all 3 restaurants. I’m going to try to work a tour into our schedule!

Shayne! You’ll love it! I think this is a must-do for you guys…the boys might even enjoy it!

7. Kim says:

I love this tip! We’re staying at AKL in June and I can’t wait to look into these tours!

8. Dr. Nigel Channing says:

Staying at AKL for the first time this coming June (5th wedding anniversary – hi honey!) and definitely going to take advantage of this. THANKS!!

9. Laura says:

Will do this when we go. Are there other free resort dining tours?

Laura — Not that we know of; but if you find some, let us know! :-)