Disney’s Best Grilled Cheese

It’s been grilled cheese weather for us out there, and I’m pretty sure it has been for many of you as well! So it’s time to put together our list of the Best Grilled Cheese in Disney Restaurants…and I can’t wait to hear your additions!

Grilled Cheese -- perfect for dipping!

You know we love cheese around here, and Disney has found lots of different ways to be creative with this particular recipe for success.

Let’s take a look at our favorites in Disney World and Disneyland!

Walt Disney World Grilled Cheese

Before we catch a flight to California, let’s see what’s happening, grilled-cheese-wise, at Walt Disney World!

Tomato Bisque and Grilled Cheese at Beaches and Cream

OK, I’ll admit that this sammich is currently my #1 at Walt Disney World! I tried it (belatedly) in October and couldn’t get enough!

When you’re down for the count and need some sustenance to get through your park touring, trust me and head over to Beaches and Cream at Disney’s Beach Club Resort for their take on a familiar favorite: Tomato Bisque and Grilled Cheese.

Six flavorful cheeses make up the blend on this amazing entry. And buddied up with sourdough bread and super creamy tomato bisque, this is comfort food perfection.

Tomato Bisque and Grilled Cheese Sandwich at Beaches and Cream

Grown-Up Grilled Cheese at Captain Cook’s

A cult favorite among Disney fans, Captain Cook’s at Disney’s Polynesian Resort has a must-try entry into the Grilled Cheese category: the Grown-Up Grilled Cheese.

What’s so adult about this one? Three cheeses — cheddar, Swiss, and Boursin (Boursin!) — melted together on a hearty sunflower bread give this one the perfect marriage of creamy and nutty. It’s lovely.

Grown-Up Grilled Cheese Sandwich at Captain Cook's

Croque Monsieur at Be Our Guest Restaurant

Let’s head over to Disney World’s newest restaurant — Be Our Guest Restaurant in Magic Kingdom’s New Fantasyland — for our third contender!

Be Our Guest features a table service format for dinner, but during lunch hours you’ll find a more casual line up, including this delicious Croque Monsieur. I’ll have my own review of this goodie coming up very soon!

Thick-carved ham, Gruyere cheese, AND creamy béchamel sauce make this sandwich a must-try.

Be Our Guest Restaurant Croque Monsieur Lunch

Get here early (they open at 10:30am for lunch) and treat this one as your late breakfast!

Note that another great Croque Monsieur can be found at Chefs de France in Epcot’s France as well!

Disneyland Grilled Cheese

Disneyland has some amazing grilled cheese options…some that you might not expect! Let’s check ‘em out over on the West Coast!

Jolly Holiday Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup

To begin your Disneyland grilled cheese crawl, stop by Jolly Holiday Bakery for their Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup combo.

Three layers of cheese on toasted white bread are cut into three “fingers,” perfect for dipping! And the soup is creamy and the perfect accompaniment.

Jolly Holiday Combo

Check out the photo at the top of this post to see the inside!

Cafe Orleans’ All-Cheese Monte Cristo

When you’d like to go upscale with your grilled cheese experience, head to Cafe Orleans to try their Three Cheese Monte Cristo.

Three cheeses — Swiss, mozzarella, and double-cream brie — are layered between rich bread, which is deep-fried and sprinkled with powdered sugar. The berry puree dipping sauce takes this straight over the top and into grilled cheese Nirvana.

Three-Cheese Monte Cristo at Disneyland's Cafe New Orleans

It’s very rich, but well worth the calories (and the nap you’ll have to take afterword)!

Cheddar Cheese Stick and Corn Dog Castle at Disney California Adventure

When is a grilled cheese not a sandwich? When it’s dipped in cornbread batter and fried like a corndog!

That’s right, just when you thought there was nothing original under the sun with retro food favorites, Corn Dog Castle along California Adventure’s Paradise Pier proves you wrong with their Cheddar Cheese Stick.

Freshly prepared and perfectly decadent, no conversation about grilled cheese would be complete without this treat.

Disneyland Cheese stick

And now, please excuse me while I hop on a plane. I’m not sure whether I’m headed east or west, but it’s time for some Disney grilled cheese! :-)

I can’t wait to hear your favorites!! Leave us a comment with any awesome grilled cheese options you’ve found in the Disney parks and resorts!

1. Amanda says:

Oh my goodness… The Tomato Bisque and Grilled Cheese from Beaches and Cream sounds like the perfect combination! I think my Disney vacations are going to start requiring four meals a day just to fit in all the yumminess! :)

2. Joel says:

Those all look sooooooooo good!!! Great post! Thank you!

3. lisa fine says:

I wish I had a grilled cheese sandwich to recommend, but I only have one to avoid if you prefer more adult grilled cheeses: the one at 50′s Prime Time. Very standard – white bread and American cheese. Meh. I think the one at Captain Hook’s sounds much more my style. Next time!

4. I love the Captain Cook’s grilled cheese – I think it’s my favourite anywhere!!

5. Raelynn says:

I wasn’t blown over by the grilled cheese at Beaches and Cream, but the soup was excellent.

6. Eeyore says:

I love the sandwich at Captain Cook’s too. I love everything at the Polynesian though. The grilled cheese was a great surprise – a nice sandwich for a vegetarian looking for more than plain grilled cheese or a “salad on bread.”

7. Katie says:

We were in Disney World during a dress rehearsal for Be Our Guest Restaurant, and honestly we liked the Croque Monsieur we had earlier on our trip at Les Chefs de France better! We at Be Our Guest twice for lunch and the second time it was incredibly salty… not consistent with the first experience (although maybe it was salty then too, but we were just so taken with the experience!) Hopefully, it will be more consistent when we return next November for Wine & Dine Half Marathon #2

8. Joy O says:

How do you make something as wonderful as cheese even better? Put it on a stick, fry it, and eat it at Disney.

9. Chris Radawiec says:

My daughter and I visited Be Our Guest restaurant recently. I think the Croque Monsieur would have been much better if they had put it on French bread. The turkey sandwich could then go on the bread they use for the current Croque Monsieur. A better choice all around.
    The atmosphere was great though.

10. Janet Sala says:

I am a HUGE fan of the Tomato Bisque and Grilled Cheese at Beaches ‘n Cream! I found it delectable as my last meal before heading home from a decadent week of over-the-top dining during the Food & Wine Festival in November.

11. Sandra says:

My son, who is a very selective eater due to autism, insisted on ordering the Crocque Monsieur at BOG when we went a couple of weeks ago. However, when he saw that seedy bread, he just couldn’t eat it (sensory issues). I opened it up and had him eat the ham (which he enjoyed immensely) along with his fries. I tried some of the bread with the cheese attached, and thought it was tasty and my kind of crunchy, but definitely not something that would have child-appeal–or even picky adult appeal. A plainer bread would have made this a winner for him.

Now if only they had those Cheddar sticks at WDW!

12. Alan says:

The Earl of Sandwich used to serve a very tasty grilled cheese on their regular menu. But, alas, it’s been off for several years. They still have one on the kid’s menu, but I wish they would reinstate the adult version.

13. Jess says:

The all-cheese Monte Cristo at Cafe Orleans is the stuff dreams are made of. One of my favorite Disneyland meals.

Amanda — It’s sooo good! :-) Can’t wait to hear what you think!

Joel — Thanks Joel!

Lisa Fine — Thanks for the tip!

Jasmine Becket-Griffith — Yes, indeed. It’s so much more than you’d expect from a counter-service spot.

Raelynn — So glad you enjoyed it!

Eeyore — SUCH A great point on the vegetarian aspect of the Captain Cook’s sandwich.

Katie — Definitely keep me updated! I agree 100% on how great the Chefs de France version is. :-)

Joy O — Yes, ma’am!

Chris Radawiec — Excellent point about using French Bread for the sandwich at Be Our Guest. That would be delish!

Janet Sala — Isn’t it amazing! I was so disappointed that I’d spent so many visits NOT eating it!

Sandra — Great point on the bread being a not-perfect choice for kids with sensory concerns. Thanks for the comment — hopefully that will help others with similar situations!

Alan — YES! I was considering adding the Earl sandwich (you could always have them custom make an adult-sized one after all)!

Jess — SO GOOD!!!

15. Jaylene says:

Le Brea Bakery in Downtown Disney Anaheim used to have Grilled Cheese sliders that came with a warm marinara dip that I always thought was tomato soup. It is the best grilled cheese and “soup” combo I have ever had. Sadly, I don’t think they have it anymore :(

16. Lucy says:

DO you know if I could get the Croque Monsieur at Be Our Guest without the ham?

17. Ashley says:

I wasn’t bowled-over by the Joly Holiday grilled cheese… I love that it comes with soup, but there is a LOT of dry bread hanging off, and most fo those three cheeses are stacked up in the middle, so you vary between bites of dry naked bread and bites of cheese.

I hear the LaBrea Bakery has grilled cheese, so maybe a trip to Downtown Disney??

18. Nicole E. says:

Olivia’s at Old Key West makes a grilled cheese for grown ups. It isn’t in the menu but all you have to do is ask for it. It’s essentially a triple decker of Texas toast and melted cheese. So yummy!

19. Kristin says:

Lucy-

The answer to that is no- you can’t make any dietary requests to the lunch menu at BOG. I tried :(

I wish I could have, because that Quinoa salad I had to have instead was only ehhhh….

20. Jaymie says:

There is actually a killer good grilled cheese sandwich at Carthay Circle Restaurant in DCA, but it isn’t exactly listed as a grilled cheese so many don’t realize that’s what it is. On the lunch menu only there is a sandwich listed as a Mediterranean Grilled Eggplant Sandwich. However what is amazing about this sandwich is that it is really a great grilled cheese with grilled veggies on it. A blend of four different cheeses including Goat Cheddar, Parmesan, Asiago and Provolone, it is so yummy.

Jaymie — Yum! Thanks for the tip!

22. AndreaU88 says:

Disneyland Cheese stick? Big deal – over priced especially compared to Hot Dog on a Stick and you can have pepper jack!

23. Pearl says:

From The World as we speak…been looking all over the Happiest Place for a simple grilled cheese sandwich for the pickiest eater I know…and thanks to the comments…we are headed to 50′s Prime Time! That’s the kind of grilled cheese Gramma makes and that’s the only kind Annie, age 3, wants!

24. dani says:

Grilled Smoked Bacon and Apple-Butter Sandwich with Vermont Cheddar and Blue Cheese at Hurricane Hannas. So so good.

Dani — Sounds amazing! We’ll have to get over there and try it!

26. Sara says:

I took your suggestion on the beaches and cream grilled cheese and tomato
    Bisque and was very impressed! Probably the best I’ve ever had anywhere. Thanks so much for the recommendation!