Snack Series and Recipe!: The Magic Cookie Bar at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge

I have to apologize to you guys.

I have been horribly remiss in not telling you about this incredible snack yet…but I didn’t even know about it! Just goes to show there’s ALWAYS something exciting to find when it comes to Disney food!! :-)

OK, here we go! Recently, an awesome DFB reader tipped me off to an amazing find at Roaring Fork in Disney’s Wilderness Lodge — the Magic Cookie Bar.

As a big fan of Roaring Fork, I wondered how could I have missed such a thing. So on my recent trip to the World, I made it my mission to get to Wilderness Lodge and try it before any more time passed!

I have to be honest — with everything I eat when I’m in Disney World, it’s hard to completely finish everything. But this? THIS was one of the things on my recent trip that I ate in its entirety! It’s THAT good.

First off, it’s big. I mean, it may not look that big in the picture, but this is a super rich bar, chock-full of deliciousness.

Magic Cookie Bar -- Wrapped and Ready

Unwrapped, you start to get a sense of just what went into this. There’s a ton of flavor going on here, with chocolate and butterscotch chips, condensed milk, coconuts, and nuts.

Magic Cookie Bar -- Unwrapped

And to put it over the top for me, the whole thing is built on a foundation of brown sugary-tasting graham cracker crumb crust. Hugely moist and rich.

It’s so big that you could share it. But trust me. You probably won’t want to.

Magic Cookie Bar -- Divided. But I Didn't Share!

I ate a lot of food in a very short period of time last week. But I’ve gotta tell ya — the magic cookie bar, with its decadent deliciousness, definitely stood head and shoulders above the competition!

And if this pic looks so good that you must have one of these right now — you’re in luck! Because we happen to have a recipe that’s guaranteed to bring the flavors right to your own kitchen. (Pssst…we hear that some folks call these Seven Layer Bars. Whatever you call them…they’re a keeper!)

Magic Cookie Bars Recipe

makes 24 bars

Pan Spray
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup butter, melted
6 ounces chocolate chips
6 ounces butterscotch chips
1 cup flaked sweetened coconut
1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup pecan halves, chopped

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Lightly spray the bottom of a 13×9 inch pan.
3. Sprinkle graham cracker crumbs in the bottom of the pan; combine with melted butter and pat into the pan to form a crust.
4. Cover crust with chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, and coconut.
5. Drizzle entire contents of sweetened condensed milk over pan, covering completely.
6. Sprinkle nuts evenly over contents.
7. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool completely; cut into 24 squares.

Will you be making Magic Cookie Bars or seeking them out the next time you’re at Wilderness Lodge? Let us know below!

1. Logan says

Wilderness Lodge is our home resort, and I usually manage to eat at least two of these on every trip! Unfortunately, butterscotch chips don’t exist in New Zealand, so can’t make the bars here!

2. Terri says

Hope they’re still available when we go back in 2015 :-( My mom used to make the same thing, only they were called 7-layer cookies (count the ingredients plus the fact that you simply stack each on top of the other) and I LOVE them though they’re incredibly rich.

3. Cindy Kay says

We stay at either Wilderness Lodge or POR… BECAUSE they have the ‘magic cookie bar’. (I’m serious!)

4. SharonCW says

I make these all the time – my DH loves them! I didn’t even know these were sold anywhere at WDW. Now when I serve them, I will have to tell everyone that they are just like the ones from The Wilderness Lodge (I advertise my Disney obsession every chance I get). FYI – I use half semi-sweet chips and half milk chocolate chips, it cuts down on the over-the-top sweetness just a bit.

5. Dana says

They have these at the Port Orleans Riverside counter service, as well. I’m not supposed to eat them (gluten), but I always get one and take a little nibble out of it every night. They’re worth the small stomach ache for!

@Logan: It’s not just the name that varies—Magic Bars come in many different forms. My family recipe doesn’t use butterscotch chips, just semisweet chips, plus walnuts instead of pecans, and it’s a winner! (We also use a smaller pan than recommended, which makes the bars denser and moister.) I say give it a go with what you can get in New Zealand!

7. Tracy says

Oh no! I wish I’d known these were at Roaring Fork! I had been told they were only available at POR and that’s why I missed them :-(

8. Dorothy says

Yes, I agree about having them at Beach Club Marketplace and how delicious they are. On many a trip, I’ve picked up one on the last day for my airplane ride home (not for the first time on that trip). Theres nothing like sitting in a cramped airplane seat, trying to maintain your mood, then taking out your Magic Cookie Bar. That touch of Disney really lifts my spirit. Love them!

9. Janet says

Carrie’s right. The original recipe I have, came off of the Sweetened Condensed Milk can itself. It says Walnuts & doesn’t mention butterscotch chips.

However… thing I found out is when you’ve had that can of Sweetened Condensed milk sitting around forever & then use it, the milk is more carmelized. Changes the flavor completely and gives the cookies a new taste.

I have done the cookies without coconut as some friends hate it – but then try to add something else. Different nuts, toffee chips, etc to make up for that missing ingredient. Otherwise, it just seems to be a one note cookie.

10. Leslie says

I make these all the time too. I would just note if you’re going to make the recipe, make it well before you plan to serve/eat them. It takes hours for the chocolate to cool enough to be able to cut.

11. sarah says

i had one of these every day when we stayed at por this past november, love them!! can’t wait to try the recipe :)

12. Hannabanana says

Yes, these bars are delish. But I’m surprised they’re such a popular, sought after Disney treat. They were one of the first things Mom taught me to bake when I was a kid…40 years ago. Much faster to make than chocolate chip cookies!

13. Pattyg says

My sisters and have been making these for years. We called them 7 layer cookies. They are yummy. Think we got it off Sweetened condensed milk label.

We’ve been making a version of these for years, minus the butterscotch chips and the sprinkles. We call them Hello Dollies. I tried this version recently, we all LOVED them and my Mom dubbed them Hello Disneys. :) Making another batch tonight for my coworkers.

15. Nathan says

AJ – I have been waiting for months to make these after reading this post. FINALLY got around to it and have eaten like 6 in 24 hours. They’re amazing. Thanks for the share!

16. Kelly L says

I made these today and they taste amazing!! I had never had one at Disney World before. I had some trouble getting them out of the pan but I am going to try again soon. So delish!

17. Ashley says

Glass pan or metal?

On everyone’s advice here I tried one while staying at the Wilderness Lodge, and now I have to make them!

18. Amy says

@ Ashley – If you use a glass pan, reduce the heat to 325º. I just made these this weekend for my family of 4 and there are very few left!

19. Geraldine says

What are the multi coloured pieces in the pictures there is no mention of these in the receipe.

Geraldine — They’re sprinkles. Purely decorative on Disney’s part, and they weren’t in our original recipe, so we didn’t include them. :-)

21. Tucker says

Just back from Disney World, staying club level at the Wilderness Lodge. These yummy bars were available every evening. Since home I have been trying to recreate them and have tried 4 times. Pretty much have the top part down, but the base is NOT a graham cracker base. It is more like a cookie or brown sugar base. Hopefully someone might have a suggestion to help me get the base correct. Also, Disney uses mini chocolate chips on the top. Not sure about the butterscotch chips but have not been able to find them in mini size. I did learn from another site that a supposed “secret” Disney uses is carmel pieces which does add to the flavor. I also found a posting from a former Disney chef who confirmed that this recipe going around with a graham cracker base is not accurate and off base how Disney makes them. He/She did not share the correct way and hope someone can shed some light on the correct base! The recipe going around is quite yummy and very tasty, but it is not the true way Disney makes these amazing bars.

Tucker — Some of the resort bakeries may opt to vary ingredients somewhat. I would suggest adding brown sugar when you create your graham cracker crust to add a sweeter crust and a caramelized flavor. Let us know if you find any other suggestions! Thanks for reading!

I have been making these same cookie bars for 40 yrs. My friends mother gave me the recipe when I was 12. Change it up by using Reeses chips instead of butterscotch.