News: Updates to Disney’s Standard Bar and Lounge Menu

’Tis the season… and we’re not talking about Fall or the Holidays (though they are soon upon us here at Disney World). Nope, it’s about that time of year when Disney World bars and lounges receive a menu makeover.

Classic Margarita with a View

Classic Margarita with a View

If you’d like to explore all the options including beer and wine, we’ve got the updated Disney Bar and Lounge Menu for you here. And today we’re going page-by-page through the Specialty Cocktails to explore the new offerings, and see which of the favorites have stuck around. Allrighty, then… here we go!

Pimm’s Punch and the Rye Manhattan are both returnees that are included in the updated menu.

Pimm's Punch and Rye Manhattan

Pimm’s Punch and Rye Manhattan

Pimm's Punch as served

Pimm’s Punch as served

But the Moscow Mule, Blue Mule, and the Sidecar Noir (nominee for favorite name!) are all new.

Moscow or Blue Mule, and Sidecar Noir

Moscow or Blue Mule, and Sidecar Noir

Smoked Turkey stuck around, and is joined by the Fireball Cocktail.

Smoked Turkey and Fireball Cocktail

Smoked Turkey and Fireball Cocktail

The Pina CoLAVA and Bahama Mama aren’t going anywhere, and neither are the Ultimate Long Island Iced Tea or the Captain’s Mai Tai.

Pina CoLAVA and Bahama Mama

Pina CoLAVA and Bahama Mama

Pina CoLAVA from Petals Pool Bar at Disney's Pop Century Resort

Pina CoLAVA from Petals Pool Bar at Disney’s Pop Century Resort

Ultimate Long Island Iced Tea and Captain's Mai Tai

Ultimate Long Island Iced Tea and Captain’s Mai Tai

Ultimate Long Island Iced Tea

Ultimate Long Island Iced Tea

Perhaps the most unique beverage joining the ranks is the Banana Spiced Rum Martini: Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum, Bols Creme de Banana, and RumChata Cream Liqueur.

The Godiva Chocolate Martini is still available (however, the Godiva Chocolate Flight is not included on the updated menu).

Banana Spiced Rum Martini and Godiva Chocolate Martini

Banana Spiced Rum Martini and Godiva Chocolate Martini

The regular Bacardi Mojito is listed alongside the new Raspberry-Ginger Mojito.

Raspberry Ginger Mojito and Bacardi Mojito

Raspberry Ginger Mojito and Bacardi Mojito

Mojito

Mojito

You’ll still have plenty of opportunities to stock up on souvenir glow cubes with these fan favorites: the Magical Star Cocktail and Blue “Glow-tini.”

Glow drinks!

Glow drinks!

Blue Glow-Tini

Blue Glow-Tini

The Agave Nectar Margarita and Habanero Lime Margarita remain, but now you’ll see two Tequila Flights listed on the same page: a Lunazul flight, and a Roca Patron.

Margaritas

Margaritas and Tequila Flights

Possibly the biggest addition, though, is the selection of tequila choices available in two-ounce pours.

Tequila

Tequila

No major changes to the Non-Alcoholic Specialties, which still feature All-Natural Lemonade, Wild Strawberry Lemonade, Coconut Elixir, and the Sparkling No-Jito.

Non-alcoholic Specialties

Non-alcoholic Specialties

Lemonade with Wild Berry Foam

Lemonade with Wild Berry Foam

So, you’ve got a few new choices when you’re raising a glass during your Disney World vacation. What do you think of the additions and changes? Did your tried-and-true stick around, or do you like to change things up a bit with each visit to your favorite Disney World watering hole? No matter what, we say, “Cheers!”

Which specialty cocktail would you choose? Please let us know with a comment!

Comments

1. Justin says

I hate these menus. A few years back, each bar would have their own menu, themed to that specific location. It was a nice touch that helped to differentiate each bar on property and make each one feel like a real destination. For example, I used to love some of the unique cocktails available at Victoria Falls over at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge. Nowadays, you have to have the same thing at every single place you go. Yes, some restaurants have an addendum which adds a few unique cocktails to that location (pineapple drinks at the Polynesian, for example) but overall it is exactly the same. Plus the menus are tacky and make me think of something I’d find at like a TGI Fridays.

For the record, this is a bigger problem than just drink menus. Over the last ten years or so, Disney has been feverishly gutting many of these unique aspects that appear from venue to venue and making everything feel homogenous. Merchandise is another notorious example. Yes, you can find a few unique items at any given store but overall much of the merchandise is the same from place to place. Generic “Disney Parks” branded items. Yet back in the day, each store would truly feel unique and they’d offer one of a kind pieces you couldn’t find elsewhere. Frontierland, for example, would have cool cowboy hats you could have embroidered, Tomorrowland would have really fun Space Age stuff, etc.

Justin — Your experience is one many of us have been feeling for years. Here’s a post I wrote about the “homogenization” of Disney drinks, food, and merchandise back in 2010 (with some good links to other bloggers discussing the same): http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2010/08/29/the-loss-of-the-leisure-suit/.

Luckily, I’ve started to see a little bit of expansion in Disney’s “unique food” repertoire more recently — since they started to realize that they’re not only a destination for attractions, but also for food. For example, the unique, one-of-a-kind menu items popping up in the Magic Kingdom over the past few years (Sleepy Hollow, Friar’s Nook, Golden Oak Outpost), the fun eats at some bars and lounges across the property, and other one-of items throughout the parks and resorts continues to make my job a bit more interesting. But table-service restaurants are largely predictable these days.

I’m with Justin on this one. The standard bar menu is the bane of my lounge hopping existence. It’s the reason that when we feel like frequenting many establishments on vacation, we do so in the Epcot area. At least then we can visit multiple spots in the Swan and Dolphin Resorts, where Disney’s cost-cutting-through-bulk-buying initiative hasn’t tainted the offerings and strangled creativity.

Also, I can’t believe that the Smoked Turkey is still on the menu. That thing is terrible. I had a smoked Old Fashioned in a local bar last week, where they used a smoke gun to fill the shaker with mesquite smoke before shaking, and the simple syrup they used to sweeten the drink was reduced from beer. It was a fine example of what a good bar can do with minimal effort and cost and still produce an exceptional beverage. The Smoked Turkey is a disaster. Overly sweet, bottom-shelf ingredients, and over-complicated without the benefit of innovation.

Rant over, I guess. Oh, wait! One more thing. The Rye Manhattan… A Manhattan is traditionally made with rye whiskey. The designation as a “rye” Manhattan is redundant. Okay, now I’m done. Great post, though. Thanks for the news and pics!

4. Joni says

Justin I say Ditto!!!
    It is gone by way of the “Generic” Disney
    I remember the Monorail Drinks “purple” My fav. at Contemporary, Lapu’s at Poly, Strawberry Marg. at Capt. Cook’s at the Market Place. Not to mention Pleasure Island. Etc. And each restaurant had many unique items. Same with the shops. But now every store looks the same. Which gives you no reason to look inside each one. Too Bad. I Know Disney is in the business to make money but they also pride themselves on making Magical Vacations, They seem to be going more toward money than the happiness of the people. Gearing things toward those who spend more than those making family memories. Seen it with the, Add on events, Villains dinner, Frozen package I mean you already paid to get in and now they want you to pay to stand up front and have a few snacks. Sorry Sally these kids are more important than you, their parents have more money so you can’t have the special treatment. That’s real life, shouldn’t be in the happiest place on earth. One more rant and I’m done. I miss the Live (Good) entertainment that use to be at Epcot. Just feels empty, boring, colder now. I think Management needs to Change.

5. Mike says

No comment on the bar homogenization, just a comment on the Smoked Turkey… One of the best cocktails I have ever had. Soooooo tasty and those cherries truly are to die for.

6. Hannah says

I do agree with the lack of specialty items in the unique places but I also have to say I am a big fan of the Captain’s Mai Tai. I have enjoyed a few, waiting for dinner at Ohanna’s, and again at the High Octane area in Hollywood Studios. But the absolute best were last month on the Disney Dream. Sitting on the upper bow area drinking my Mai Tai, they were awesome, thanks to the bartender.

7. Dawn says

Hear, hear, Justin (and A.J.)! I so lament the slow eradication of all the details in food and merchandise that made each spot in Disney feel like its own unique destination.

It’s those details that have always made Disney the master in theming, when they appealed to all five senses, not just the individual look and sounds of a resort, but the smells and TASTES that made you feel truly immersed in the theme of a particular resort or area of the parks.

I’m so disappointed that they seem to be abandoning those unique touches that were so incredible in the past.

8. Katie says

While I agree with the homogenization of the menus, I won’t harp on it. Just glad some places, like AKL and Poly, have unique items.

I’m really glad to see the habanero lime margarita made the cut. That is such a delicious drink. I also want to commend Disney on addressing trends – such as the Fireball addition. Closer to my heart is the effort they’ve made with craft beer. The standard menu and most lounges have some great options. A couple years ago you couldn’t get a decent beer anywhere on property. Now I can order an IPA that I would order at home. I think the restaurants have to play catch-up on craft beers as their options are the standard, big-name domestics. But kudos to Disney for integrating these trends. And for keeping my beloved margarita.

9. Keith says

Danny nailed it! This generic menu is an abomination, especially for anyone who enjoys or participates in crafted cocktails. Blue Zoo is really the only venue that has creative and truly top-notch cocktails.

10. Joanne says

Enjoyed the Moscow Mule last Friday evening, with a group of friends, at Crews Cup…along with an order of truffle fries, and I was loving life. Everyone in the group who ordered the same drink, really enjoyed it. If you love the taste of ginger [I do], you will enjoy this new addition to the menu. With so much to offer around WDW, I never spend a moment of my time thinking about what isn’t offered, I just enjoy what is in front of me.

11. Theresa says

My favorite, the truffled martini is gone. Too many sweet drinks on the menu. They do not pair well with meals. Yuck.

12. Andrew says

Manhattans are NOT normally made with Rye whiskey. (This comment was edited by the administrator. We request that commenters not directly attack other commenters for their opinions or statements. You can attack us here at DFB all you want, of course. We can take it.)

13. Andrew says

Keith, I enjoy well crafted cocktails and I love this menu. Blue Zoo is nothing special. I am glad that Disney listens to sound advice and made a great menu. Do not change Disney, you are still the best.

Andrew, while Wild Turkey is not swill, it’s the well choice. It is on the same lower tier as Jack and Jim. And even then, for the same level of cost or less, you can get Weller Antique for the Smoked Turkey and make that drink ten times tastier.

Also, I did not say that Manhattans are ‘normally’ served with rye, but ‘traditionally’. That is the problem. A real Manhattan SHOULD use the whiskey. That they are normally mixed with Canadian or Bourbon is the deviance. That is when a menu should signify a difference. A Rye Manhattan is just a Manhattan.

15. andrew says

Wow…Wild Turkey is NEVER a well drink….NEVER.

Also Manhattans are not traditionally made with Rye Whiskey so there is nothing wrong with calling it a Rye Manhattan.

16. andrew says

Seagrams 7 and McMasters are well drinks…Wild Turkey is a Call Brand. (This comment was edited by the administrator. We request that commenters not directly attack other commenters for their opinions or statements. You can attack us here at DFB all you want, of course. We can take it.)

17. Mary Jo Salerno says

Couldn’t agree with Justin more! After all these many years I still miss the Newawlins Ice (the spelling may be a little off) at Port Orleans. For a year or two after it’s demise I could still get one at Animal Kingdom Lodge because the remarkable bartender at Victoria Falls (Tony) worked at Port Orleans and remembered the basics of the drink. That drink was my first alcoholic beverage on my first night of my first trip to WDW and with the jazz playing in the lounge and that drink in my hand I really felt like I had been transported to the Big Easy. Specialized drinks can really transport you to another place or time and add to the mystique of the Disney resorts. Now, sadly, it appears to be only about the money.

18. Maria says

At least OKW still has the Turtle Crawl! It seriously would diminish the Key West atmosphere , without a good rum and fruit juice cocktail!

19. Lauren says

Two new drinks with the frat party fav, Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey? Sounds like a bunch of college kids thought that up. Not impressed…on the other hand, I’m a craft beer and wine type of person.