SO excited about this perfect-for-winter recipe.
This time of year, where I come from, Apple is the King of Winter Flavors!
So I was super psyched to see this amazing recipe from Steakhouse 55.
Warm Apple Butter Cakes
Warm Apple Butter Cakes have it all — Caramelized Apples, moist Butter Cake, and a drizzle of Caramel Glaze spiked with Jack Daniels (!!) to top it all off. And what’s better? Since you make the cakes in individual portions, you don’t have to share. Sweet!
The cake is available seasonally at Steakhouse 55. But if you, like me, don’t live near Disneyland, here’s a recipe so that you can whip up a batch at home.
Warm Apple Butter Cakes
Makes 15 individual cakes
2 whole Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon sugar
Jack Daniels Caramel Glaze:
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 tablespoon Jack Daniels bourbon
1 cup heavy cream
Apple Butter Cake:
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 egg yolks
1 cup butter, melted
1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
1 1/2 cups plus 1 teaspoon buttermilk
Vanilla ice cream, for serving
Dried apple slices, for garnish (optional)
To Prepare Caramelized Apples:
1. Cut apples into thin slices.
2. Melt butter in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat; add apples and sugar.
3. Cook apples until golden and softened. Set aside to cool.
To Prepare Jack Daniels Caramel Glaze:
1. Combine brown sugar and butter in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir continuously until sugar dissolves.
2. Simmer over medium heat without stirring or touching pan, until mixture is thick and dark amber in color, about 10 minutes.
3. Remove pan from heat. Carefully whisk in bourbon and heavy cream. Mixture will bubble vigorously and release very hot steam.
4. Pour caramel into a bowl to cool; set aside.
To Prepare the Cake:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour 15 (3/4-cup-capacity) ramekins; set aside.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
3. Whisk together sugar, eggs and egg yolks, and melted butter in a separate large bowl, until well combined.
4. Combine buttermilk and almond extract in a small bowl; set aside.
5. Fold a third of flour mixture into egg mixture. Stir in half of buttermilk mixture. Fold in another third of flour mixture, then add remaining buttermilk mixture. Fold in remaining flour mixture.
6. Ladle 1/2 cup cake batter into prepared ramekins. Bake 20 to 22 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center of cakes comes out clean.
1. While cakes are warm, carefully remove from ramekins onto a serving plate.
2. Divide caramelized apples among tops of cakes. Spoon Jack Daniels Glaze over top of apples and cake.
3. Serve with vanilla ice cream and garnish with dried apple slices, if desired.
Will you be making these Warm Apple Butter Cakes at home this Autumn? Leave a comment and tell us what you think!