Here at the DFB we are all about the seasonal eats, and our Disneyland correspondent Heather Sievers (find her over @DiningInDisney on Instagram!) found a totally delicious seasonal soup in Disneyland. Chicken Pot Pie Soup (served in a bread bowl for ultimate awesomeness) can currently be found at The Harbour Galley!
If you follow our Disneyland correspondent Heather Sievers on her Instagram, you know she’s got a bit of a thing for the Haunted Mansion. (And hey, don’t we all ? )
Well, lucky for us, Heather’s friends and family treated her right for her recent birthday by ordering a totally epic specialty cake for her birthday dinner at Napa Rose at the Grand Californian Resort in Disneyland.
It’s the Haunted Mansion-themed cake, and It. Is. EVERYTHING.
Let’s just break this thing down for a minute. First is the perfectly eerie purple frosting with black Haunted Mansion wallpaper accents and Haunted Mansion-approved script, written by some of the greatest ghost writers the literary world has ever known, I presume… [Read more…]
“Welcome, Foolish Mortals,” to the Haunted Mansion… DINING ROOM!! “Kindly step all the way in, please, and make room for everyone.”
“There’s no turning back now…”
YES!!! It’s the Haunted Mansion Dining Room of ALL OUR DREAMS!!! You can see the complete set-up at the Marketplace Co-op in Disney Springs.
Yeah. We’ll be getting to that shortly.
With the opening of Memento Mori in the Magic Kingdom, Haunted Mansion fans now have a souvenir shop to explore! After meeting your Ghost Host, stop in and peruse the shelves of ghastly goodies.
We love that many of these items are available online; just click the links provided!
Halloween treats continue to materialize in the Disney parks and resorts. We’re especially thrilled with the treats in Disneyland!
Plus, click below for all the details on this week’s Disney Food News…
Disney Food News
- Memento Mori is now open in Magic Kingdom’s Liberty Square. Take a look at some of the ghastly merchandise inspired by the Haunted Mansion!
- Epcot’s Liberty Inn has added regional American fare to the menu. We taste-tested the Maryland Crab Cakes with Old Bay Fries.
- Chocolate sculptures are featured in the “From Bean to the Bar” exhibit at Epcot’s Festival Center during the Epcot International Food and Wine Festival.
- Find out what’s inside the BoardWalk Bakery’s Ghost Cupcake!
- We shared lots more Halloween Treats from Disneyland, including Zero Premium Popcorn Buckets, the Pumpkin Twist from Maurice’s Treats, and lots more!! Yum!
Check out all the latest Disney Food News — even the stuff we don’t mention in posts on the blog! — on our Disney Food News Pin Board, including restaurant closures, and more!
We’ve got all the latest for you, so check it out before you go.
DFB Reader Finds
DFB loves the rotational dining, specialty restaurants (Palo!!), and lounges aboard the Disney Cruise Line ships. Let’s take a look at some delicious reader finds discovered aboard the Disney ships.
Facebook Friend Narda shared two desserts, including this Baked Alaska from the Disney Fantasy:
And here’s a dessert from Animator’s Palate aboard the Disney Dream. My favorite plates!
Do you have a Favorite Find? Please, share with us!
DFB Guide to Walt Disney World Dining On Sale!
Want a huge discount on our DFB Guide to Walt Disney World Dining? You’ve got it! This is the last day for our special sale, get $6 off the full price of the guide using code DOLEWHIP!
The fully updated DFB Guide to Walt Disney World® Dining 2014 e-Book is an instantly downloadable PDF guide, featuring over 450 full-color pages of photographs, information, and advice about our favorite subjects — food and dining in Walt Disney World.
It’s guaranteed to help you navigate your way to delicious dining on your next trip! And if you’re ready to get yours now, head on over to DFBGuide.com to pick it up!!
What’s In The Guide?
As thousands of repeat customers already know, the Guide includes:
- A 5-Step Strategy for Disney Dining Planning, covering everything you need to know from budgeting and booking to kids’ meals, dining discounts, and fireworks.
- A comprehensive and in-depth look at EVERY Disney World restaurant, kiosk, bar, and lounge, including our personal tips to ensure a positive and stress-free dining experience.
- Four free, downloadable worksheets for planning your trip. These worksheets are designed to help you execute all the steps of planning the perfect Disney dining experience. And they’re reusable for all of your future trips!
- Seven sample one-day dining itineraries for a head-start on planning.
- A comprehensive index of bars and lounges. An often under-appreciated option for both dining and entertainment, the e-Book devotes a whole index to the topic.
- The ability to be read on your mobile device or computer! It’s fully portable right in your pocket!
Here’s Just Some Of What You Get With Our 2014 Guide:
- Over 450 Pages of Disney Dining and Planning information, tips, reviews, and recommendations!
- An in-depth Disney Dining Restaurant Reviews section, covering all Disney restaurants, food kiosks, bars, and lounges
- An updated Disney Dining Plan section and price analysis [Read more…]
Welcome, Foolish Mortals… to Memento Mori, the new Haunted Mansion gift shop in Magic Kingdom’s Liberty Square!
“Materializing” on October 6th, this spot (formerly Yankee Trader) is situated right by the Haunted Mansion, naturally. (The Haunted Mansion never HAD a gift shop, and Disney needed to remedy that, of course.) And we’re dying to show you Haunted Mansion fans some of the gems tucked inside… (and, yep — there are LOTS of awesome kitchen items and food-related goodies to share, too)!
But seriously, this place is pretty awesome. I wandered the store for nearly an hour just trying to take it all in. Here are a couple of pics of the “atmosphere” around the top of the display areas.
If you can’t get to the shop in person, some of [Read more…]
I recently attended what I’d consider the most awesome dining experience of my life – eating dinner inside of one of my very favorite Disneyland attractions.
That’s right folks, I got to eat dinner INSIDE the Haunted Mansion. Dubbed the “Ghostly Retreat,” this special Club 33 event honoring Marc Davis was truly incredible (see details at the end of this post).
Dinner started out with a ride down the stretching elevator to where we’d be eating. As the doors opened, we were awestruck when we saw a long table set for 34 in the portrait corridor of the Haunted Mansion.
I literally squealed with delight. It was the most amazing table setting I’ve ever seen. Fresh flowers, gorgeous vases, elegant table ware, goblets to drink from — it was very overwhelming.
From what I could tell, the table was basically a replica of the table in the Haunted Mansion ballroom. Even the plates, goblets & tablecloth looked the same!
After claiming a seat, I joined everyone else in taking a million photos! Thankfully, we were allowed to use flash, so please don’t get upset with me for taking flash photography in an attraction — I had permission. ; )
Because this was a special event to celebrate 100 years of Marc Davis, we had some very special guests join us for dinner. Guests included Marc’s wife, the lovely Alice Davis, Animator Andreas Deja, Imagineer Kim Irvine, and our “host” for the evening was Disney Historian Tim O’ Day. And as if that wasn’t enough, Imagineer Bob Gurr joined us for dessert at the end of the evening.
Talk about a star studded dinner party! WOW. All of our special guests were [Read more…]
We’re always happy to see new food pins! Thanks to Cody Smith at Global Disney Pinvestigation for sharing this great preview with us from the Florida Project Pin Previews!
This first group of pins was introduced at the 2011 Epcot Food and Wine Festival:
Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, and Donald with menus. $44.95
Disney Parks will offer these pins as online exclusive merchandise. Check out the Disney characters eating favorite Disney food for a fun mini-set!
Characters put the finishing touches on holiday Gingerbread decorations and chocolate displays for the Disney Cruise Line ships (Magic, Wonder, Dream), Grand Floridian, Contemporary, Beach Club, Yacht Club, and Boardwalk! Can’t wait to see these in just a couple of [Read more…]
Coming to you LIVE from Walt Disney World, here’s this week’s Disney Food Post Round-Up!
First, two reminders for this week:
- The Epcot Food and Wine Festival is beginning on October 1st (that’s Friday!). Here’s our quick-click guide that includes menus, photos (even pics of the food you can get THIS YEAR!), and more:
2010 Epcot Food & Wine Festival Guide and Map
International Marketplace Booths & Menus
Free & Low-Cost Attractions and Demos
Special and Signature Attractions
Eat to the Beat! Concerts
- The WDW Foodie Fest is happening one week from today! On Sunday, October 3rd, we’ll hold our first ever Disney Food Blog meet-up! Come find us at Ariel’s in the Beach Club Resort between 11am-2pm. Scavenger Hunt through the Food and Wine Festival starts at 11! Read more and register at the WDW Foodie Fest Website!
This Week’s News
A few news items this week, coupled with some great new stuff I’ve found at WDW:
- Disney California Adventure Paradise Pier dining concept art news and photos.
- More info on potential price increases at Disney World Buffets
- Review of two new menu items at Liberty Tree Tavern in Magic Kingdom
- Pics of a few NEW cupcakes introduced for Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party.
And now, on to the round-up:
2719 Hyperion takes us to the original Captain Cook’s Hideaway.
Frugal Dinks brings us their review of Epcot’s La Hacienda de San Angel Restaurant.
The Disney Chick makes sunflower seed bread from Epcot’s Garden Grill!
Main St Gazette dines at Rose and Crown!
Eating Around the World goes to Biergarten!
Zannaland has a pic of the new Duffy the Bear rice krispie treat!
Disney Parks Blog has an awesome video from Disneyland detailing how they made their Haunted Gingerbread House for this year’s Haunted Mansion overlay!
Thanks for this weeks food posts, all!
Theme Park Insider offers some Advice for First Time Visitors to Epcot’s Food and Wine Festival: Wondering how many days you should plan to spend at the Festival or when you need to book your chosen Party for the Senses before it sells out? Find out here.
ImagiNERDing remembers the Haunted Mansion “I Scream Sundae”: Promotional food from way back when…great images on this one, too!
The Orlando Sentinel recounts a not-so-pleasant experience at Yak and Yeti: If you’re looking for vegetarian options, you may have to “ask around.”
DLRPToday takes a look at the Disney Blockbuster Cafe refurb in Disneyland Paris: Check this out for some cool photos of the upcoming “pirate” room!
LaughingPlace reminds us that Mexico’s La Cava del Tequila will be opening August 28th: 70 types of authentic tequila and exotic and unique-blended margaritas? Sounds good to me!
Main Street Gazette lists Disney spots serving Egg Rolls: I love this idea! Pick your favorite Disney food and list where you can find it! (DisneyFoodBlog scribbles notes…)
CakeWrecks shows us Castle Cakes!: These AREN’T Cake Wrecks…I promise. Be sure to check out the Cinderella Castle cake!