When it comes to holiday dessert, the more pies the better we say!
Of course, as much as we love pie, it’s always fun to bring a new dessert to the table – especially at the holidays! And today we have the perfect holiday dessert to share with you.
This Pumpkin Mousse Trifle with Cranberries and Apricot Orange Sauce was featured at the Epcot Food and Wine Festival a few years ago, and we really enjoyed it.
The recipe has a few steps, but it’s worth a little extra time in the kitchen!
Pumpkin Mousse Trifle with Cranberries and Apricot Orange Sauce
Serves 6 to 8
1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons old-fashioned oats
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
5 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup apricot jam
1/4 cup orange juice
1 egg yolk or 1/4 cup pasteurized egg yolks
3/4 cup canned pumpkin pie filling
3/4 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup heavy cream
Store-bought spice cake mix, prepared per package directions and cooled.
1/2 cup Ocean Spray Craisins
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a sheet pan with foil and set aside.
2. Combine oats, flour, brown sugar, and sugar in a medium bowl. Add melted butter and stir until mixture is crumbly.
3. Pour onto prepared sheet pan and bake 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
4. Set aside to cool. Crumble into small pieces.
For Orange Sauce:
Combine apricot jam and orange juice in a medium bowl. Whisk together until smooth.
For Pumpkin Mousse:
1. Whisk egg yolk into pumpkin pie filling. Melt white chocolate chips in microwave or using a double boiler. Whisk melted chocolate chips into the pumpkin mixture.
2. Whip heavy cream to medium peaks. Gently fold whipped cream into pumpkin mixture.
1. Cut spice cake into cubes. Place a dollop of mousse at the bottom of a serving dish. Top with cranberries and a drizzle of sauce.
2. Place a few cubes of cake over the mousse. Top with another layer of mousse, cranberries and sauce, then top with streusel.
This sounds like a great addition to your holiday meal! Will you be making this pumpkin mousse this holiday season? Leave us a comment and let us know what you think!