If it were up to me, I’d have a slice of Key Lime Pie Every. Single. Time. I set foot in Florida.
Fortunately, Disney has me covered with lots and lots and LOTS of options for this favorite!
But one of the best comes with a fun twist, thanks to the extra special crust. I’m talking about the Chocolate Crusted Key Lime Tart at the Grand Floridian Cafe in Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort and Spa.
Big on equal parts richness, sweetness, and sour power, this is a great version of the Sunshine State classic. I’ve always loved lime and chocolate together!
If you need a little sunshine in your life today, how about heading to the market for the ingredients? You’ve just gotta have some key lime pie to bring on the Summer.
Chocolate Crusted Key Lime Tart
Yield: 10 servings
1/2 cup sugar
1 stick butter
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
8 ounces raw rice for baking pie shell
14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
4 each egg yolks
1/2 cup key lime juice
whipped cream, for garnish
1. Mix sugar and butter until creamy. (Refrain from eating too much of butter and sugar mixture.)
2. Add egg and mix.
3. Sift cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and flour.
4. Add to mix.
5. When all is combined, place between parchment paper.
6. Flatten slightly and chill 1 hour.
7. Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
8. Roll dough to 1/8-inch thickness and place in pie pan or tart pan.
9. Cut circle of parchment large enough to cover bottom and sides of dough.
10. Place paper on dough.
11. Place rice on paper.
12. Bake 10 minutes.
13. Remove parchment and rice, Bake for an additional 10 minutes.
14. Let cool.
1. For filling, combine milk and yolks on low speed. Slowly add key lime juice while mixing on low until blended.
2. Pour into crust.
3. Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes.
4. Chill until cold, preferably overnight.
Garnish with sweetened whipped cream, limes, chocolate — whatever! And that’s all there is to it!
Now how about it? Can’t you just taste that perfect combo of sweet, rich, puckery goodness? And the chocolate pie crust really makes the whole thing a little richer. A classic…with a twist!
Will you be making this yumminess sometime soon? Let us know by leaving a comment below!