Get ready to name the movie, okay? *clears throat* “OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!”
Any guesses? That’s right, this famous line is from Disney’s Alice in Wonderland! Alice in Wonderland fans can already pick up some awesome merch themed to the movie, like a designer bag collection and Minnie ears, as well as a number of other items! But now Disney has released a recipe that fans will want to bake right away.
Ready to make The Queen of Hearts Tarts Recipe (as shared by D23)?! Let’s go!
- 1 package pre-rolled frozen pie crust (in sheets)
- Strawberry jam
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- ½ teaspoon gelatin powder
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 stick (½ cup) butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 6 teaspoons milk
- ½ tablespoon cocoa powder
- Red food coloring
After gathering your ingredients, you will need the following equipment:
- 12-hole muffin tin
- Baking sheet
- Rolling pin
- Heart-shaped cookie cutter
- Circular cookie cutter
Now let’s get baking!
Step 1: Prepare the Tart Shells
- Let the pie crust sheets thaw as instructed on the package. Once thawed, preheat your oven to the temperature listed on your package, and spray your muffin tin with nonstick spray (or grease with butter).
- Roll out the crust dough to about half of its current thickness. Cut out circles of dough using a circular cookie cutter or a glass and gently press each circle into your muffin tin. Trim any excess hanging over the edge of the tin with a knife. Use a cookie cutter to cut out 12 heart-shaped pieces with the extra dough.
- Prick the base of each tart shell with a fork. Line a cookie tray with parchment paper and lay your hearts on it. Bake the tarts and hearts for around 10-12 minutes, or until golden. Keep in mind that the hearts may bake quicker than the shells and may need to be removed before. Keep a close eye on the oven so you can check on that. Allow both sets of pastries to cool.
Step 2: Prepare the Mock Cream Filling
- While the tarts and hearts are baking, add the gelatin powder to the cold water and allow it to bloom for 5 minutes. In a small saucepan, mix the sugar and milk over low heat until the sugar fully dissolves.
- Add the gelatin (once it’s ready) to the saucepan and stir until it’s fully dissolved. Then, remove from the heat and allow the mixture to reach room temperature.
- With a stand mixer or handheld beater, beat the butter and vanilla until smooth and creamy. Then, slowly add the cooled milk mixture, and mix constantly until it’s all fully combined.
Step 3: Prep the Icing
- Mix the powdered sugar and milk with a fork or spoon until smooth in a small bowl. Pour half the mixture into a separate bowl.
- In one of the bowls, add 5-10 drops of red food coloring and mix to combine. Continue to add food coloring and mix until your desired shade is reached.
- In the second bowl, add the cocoa powder and mix. If your mixture becomes too thick, add an additional ¼ teaspoon of milk.
- Spoon each of the icings into its own piping bag or plastic sandwich bag. Cut the tip off the bag very close to the corner, creating a small outlet for your icing.
Step 4 (Final Step!): Assemble the Tarts
- Add a spoonful of strawberry jam to each tart shell and smooth all over the bottom.
- Add the mock cream (by the spoonful) until the shell is full. Smooth the top over with a spatula.
- Carefully pipe the chocolate icing onto half of each tart, and pipe your red icing on the other half.
- Take your pie crust hearts and place one in the middle of each tart.
- Before serving, allow the icing to set for at least 15 minutes.
You’ve done it! Now you have beautiful tarts you can show off to your friends and family. And if you love Disney recipes, stay tuned to DFB — we’ll keep you updated on all the ones we find!
Join the DFB Newsletter to get all the breaking news right in your inbox! Click here to Subscribe!
Are you more of a sweet or savory fan? Let us know in the comments below!