Kouzzina for Breakfast

I recently had the chance to dine at Kouzzina — Iron Chef Cat Cora’s signature restaurant on the Disney World Boardwalk — for breakfast! I had only had dinner at Kouzzina previously, so I couldn’t wait to see what Chef Dee Foundoukis was cooking up for breakfast. :-) Luckily, this was part of the Disney World Five Stars to Mickey Bars event, so I got to take pics of my dining companions’ food as well! Score!

Atmosphere

Kouzzina is reminiscent of its predecessor, Spoodles, in that the expanse, high ceilings, and heavy wood decor tend to feel like a big old Mediterranean farm kitchen; but Kouzzina brought a new elegance and simple formality along with the renovation. The restaurant opened in September 2009, and I showcased several photos of the lobby, dining room, and open kitchen in my Kouzzina dinner review.

For breakfast, the restaurant was lit with sun streaming through the floor to ceiling windows and pleasant white noise came consistently from the open kitchen.

Tables in Kouzzina

Kouzzina Open Kitchen

It was a relaxing, pleasant place to start a Disney day, plus it was pretty empty. I can highly recommend it for a filling, delicious breakfast if you don’t happen to be in the mood for napkin twirling and character hugging.

Eats

The menu here is outstanding. As with the other meals at Kouzzina, breakfast dishes are focused around native Greek farmhouse fare — eggs, sweet potatoes, feta, spinach, Greek yogurt, etc. I wanted to try everything listed and had a really difficult time making my choice.

Menu -- Click for Larger Image

I ended up choosing the Blueberry-Orange Granola pancake only when Moms Panelist Kathie F. promised me I could try her waffles (I think I ate half her food that weekend…sorry about that, Kathie!).

Before our meals came, I snapped a pic of these delicious pastries and breads. You can order these as an appetizer before your meal:

Kouzzina Breakfast Bread and Pastries

Our meals came out quickly, and we immediately began snapping pics of food (that’s what happens when you get 11 food writers in a room!). It was quite a spectacle, actually — the lot of us wandering around the tables moving plates into better light, propping cameras on water glasses, and arranging arugula with flashbulbs popping all around.

Once we finally settled in to eat, the tables fell pretty silent while everyone enjoyed their first bites. While my Blueberry-Orange Granola Pancake with chicken sausage was delicious (not to mention it was easily the size of my HEAD), the real winner in my opinion was Kathie’s to-die-for (and I don’t use that term lightly) waffle with whipped mascarpone cheese. The sweetness and texture of the cheese reminded me of cream cheese frosting, and you all know how I feel about cream cheese frosting.

Blueberry-Orange Granola Pancake

Classic Golden Waffle with Whipped Mascarpone Cheese

Others around the table sampled some of Kouzzina’s specialties and pronounced them delicious! Treats like Turkey-Sweet Potato Hash; Kouzzina’s Stacked Breakfast of eggs, olive toast, artichoke spread, and sweet potato hash; and the Vegetable Flatbread with eggs, roasted red peppers, spinach, and Feta were all winners. And don’t forget the “American” — two eggs with breakfast potatoes and a choice of bacon or sausage — is always available!

Stacked Kouzzina Breakfast with Eggs, Sweet Potato Hash, Artichoke Spread, Olive Toast, and Chicken Sausage

Fresh Fruit Plate with Greek Yogurt

Vegetable Flatbread with Eggs, Roasted Red Peppers, Spinach, and Feta

Turkey-Sweet Potato Hash with Eggs and Arugula

American Breakfast with eggs, breakfast potatoes, and sausage

Overall

Breakfast at Kouzzina is a true success and I can highly recommend it. The service is wonderful, the food is outstanding, and the ambiance and relaxing atmosphere are sometimes exactly what you need after a couple of hectic theme park days. Well…that and a Sunrise White Sangria, which, luckily, Kouzzina sells by the pitcher for breakfast ;-)

In accordance with FTC guidelines, please note that my transportation, lodging, and dining were provided by the Walt Disney Company for this Media event.

1. Heather I. says:

Oh my goodness, I am in love with waffles and really wish I could try those. But, your pancake looks scrumptious as well!

2. Kathie says:

Love it – except now you made my mouth drool. And crave waffles and Mascarpone!

And I don’t mind sharing food – I’m sure I took more than one bite of your food too!

3. Sarah says:

Hmm… Now Matt and I know where to stop for a pre-Epcot breakfast of sangria and bloody mary!

4. Molly says:

I have been wanting to try this restaurant and have heard good things. Breakfast sounds like a good idea. The pictures looked delicious!

Heather — The pancake was good, but didn’t hold a candle to that whipped chesse topping! :-)

Kathie — That was just a superstar breakfast. I’m so glad you ordered it! :-)

Sarah — Exactly! That sounds like a very nutritious breakfast!

Molly — It’s great; can’t wait to hear what you think!

6. Cybele says:

Kouzzina is one of our favorite restaurants. Everything is amazing. In addition, I have a gluten allergy. They really took care of me…almost made me feel as if I didn’t have the allergy. Marilyn is one of the chefs there and made me feel wonderful…gave me suggestions for when I got home and even brought me a gluten free brownie that was incredible with berries! Outstanding!

Cybele — Thanks for the note that Kouzzina is a great place to visit with a gluten allergy! I want a brownie with berries!

8. Aurora says:

Oh my HANNAH MONTANA that looks amazing AJ!!! That Sweet Potato Hash looks TO DIE FOR!!! This might just even rival the beloved Tonga Toast in my world :) !

9. Kelly says:

Hmmm, just booked for Reunion in December, think maybe I can do this as a solo breakfast? Looks wonderful!

10. Why didn’t I think of this. Not only do I love eating out for breakfast, I love middle eastern and greek foods. Now I really can’t wait to get back to the “World” to try this out. AJ, the photos are wonderful and I’m drooling. Thanks for bringing us this story.

11. Jennifer says:

This all looks delicious! We have lunch reservations for my birthday (the 19th!) at Kouzzina, but now I’m curious for breakfast as well. Do you know what time they open?

12. Cybele says:

The gluten free brownie was for my birthday….and it was breakfast. Great for birthday celebrations. They really make you feel special….I can’t wait till my next trip.

Aurora — I can’t wait to hear how you like sweet potato hash when you try it!!

Bruce — Thanks so much for the kudos! I hope you love Kouzzina for breakfast.

Jennifer — Kouzzina opens at 7:30am for breakfast! Enjoy, and have a great b-day!

Cybele — Brownies for breakfast sounds good to me!

14. Galloping Gourmand says:

Now that I’m officially diabetic I’m learning just how important a meal breakfast is. I used to skip it all the time, now I’m on a hunt for a good one. My next trip will be with friends who have a DVC at the Boardwalk. I’m going to put Kouzzina on my list of places to try.