Epcot Recipe: La Cava del Tequila’s Sangrita

One of our favorite hang-outs at Epcot is La Cava del Tequila in Epcot’s exotic Mexico pavilion. Awesome margaritas, great atmosphere — who wouldn’t love this place?

La Cava del Tequila Bar

Recently, Cava del Tequila (@cavadeltequila) tweeted their Sangrita Recipe when we mentioned that one of our readers had requested it. Thanks, Cava!! We figured others of you might want in on the secret, too!

This lovely drink is featured on the Tequila Flight — it’s the final shooter; the last beverage glass on the right.

Tequila flight

La Cava del Tequila Sangrita Recipe

(makes one gallon)
24 oz. Tomato Juice
6 Serrano Pepper (very fine chopped)
1/2 Red Onion (very fine chopped)
17 Mint Leaves (very fine chopped)
7 oz. Fresh Lime Juice
7 oz. Fresh Grapefruit Juice
7 oz. Fresh Orange Juice
3 oz. Agave Nectar
Salt
NOTE: This doesn’t look like it makes a gallon as the recipe states, so we’ve got a question into la cava about it. Will report back soon! Update — Thanks to reader Sherri for noting that she’s made the recipe and it turns out great; just doesn’t make quite a gallon.

Mix all ingredients together and shake well.

So, now you’re ready to throw that Tequila party you’ve been thinking about! ;-)

What’s your favorite indulgence at La Cava? And, please let us know if you try this recipe!

1. Bret says:

So there is no actual tequila/agave in this drink? I see agave nectar listed, but that is a sweetener, not the actual alcohol, if I remember correctly. The recipe sounds great, just want to make sure I have it right!

2. Jim says:

How does it make a gallon? The liquid ingredients only add up to a fifth of a gAllon.

3. FrankO says:

Pretty sure you’re missing some tequila there somewhere. So shake, strain into a tall glass and add 1 1/2 oz. your favorite tequila!

Jim, Bret, and FrankO — I’ve emailed La Cava to make sure the recipe is correct. ;-)

5. Brad says:

I’m pretty sure the Sangrita is the chaser for the Tequila shots, and isn’t supposed to contain alcohol.

6. Sherri Erwin says:

It is correct. There’s no alcohol in the sangrita. It’s a chaser for the tequila. I’ve made it, and it comes out great. But you want to use a food processor to chop the ingredients finely enough. You really notice if they’re too chunky.

7. Sherri Erwin says:

I’m not sure it’s correct about how much it makes. It did fill my 2 quart container if that helps any, and it was more than enough to serve with the tequila for a small party with plenty leftover. The idea of sangrita, again, is as a chaser and not as an alcoholic drink. It’s a shot sized portion you are serving with tequila shots.

Brad — Thanks for the info; that’s what I thought, too. :-)

Sherri — Thanks so much! I’m so glad to hear from your experience. My guess is that the amount it makes is incorrect, but that the recipe is good to go. :-)

9. Sean says:

Brad: That’s how I understood it too. The sangria is the chaser. We really enjoyed this restaurant and the Mexican pavilion in general.

10. Alan says:

I’m sure the idea is to drink 2 quarts of tequila and then the 2 quarts of Sangrita and then you’ve done a gallon.

11. Allison says:

I love this place.

I want to beg people to stop shooting the very expensive tequila. Some tequilas are for sipping…even if they are poured into a shot glass (for a small portion of potent alcohol).

Enjoy the great selection. La Cava del Tequila has GREAT tequilas. Sip and taste your flight. It’s good.

12. Allison says:

Oh and I like the Kah….Mmmmmmmm. The Anejo is my favorite but the Extra Anejo is very exciting and worth trying at least once…and at that price you’ll want to savor it.

13. GAN says:

The Sangrita is known as a hangover remedy….if you like Bloody Mary’s then this would be the mix to add Vodka in to.

14. ruth ross says:

we vacationed at disnet sept 2012, while there we had the french bread pizza at the france pavillon at epcot. would greatly appreciate if anyone can get the recipe for us thanks!!!!

15. Courtney says:

I just made this and it is AWESOME! The mint with the heat is a perfect combination… my only question is whether or not you should you should use the whole serranos (seeds included) ? Can’t remember if Cava’s had the seeds in it.

16. Deb says:

This is an amazing treat for tequila. I have made it before and served it the same day, anyone know if it takes as good if I make it the night before serving it? Thanks

17. Deb says:

Can this be made a day before serving?