“The Best Thing I Ever Ate at Disney!”: Breakfast

We’re headed back to our “Best Thing I Ever Ate at Disney!” series today

I did a post a couple of weeks back titled The Five Best Things I Ate In Disneyland, which sparked a fun series based on the Food Network’s (very cool) show, The Best Thing I Ever Ate. Based on some keen suggestions from readers, we’ll be splitting our series up into different sections: breakfast, appetizers & side dishes, snacks, entrees (lunch and dinner), and desserts & drinks.

Today, let’s talk breakfast! I’ve done my favorite brand of informal polling (i.e. posted questions on twitter and facebook ;) ) to find out others’ experiences of the Best Thing They Ever Ate for breakfast at Disney. I must say, the conclusions aren’t all that shocking, but they are delicious! Here’s what we’ve all come up with:

Mickey Waffles

Ah, the glorious little Mickey Waffle! I have no idea why these little guys taste as wonderful as they do, but it’s like melt-in-your-mouth happiness as soon as you bite into one (you think I’m being overly dramatic, but I promise, they’re delicious).

Multi Grain Mickey Waffles from The Wave!

Luckily, you can get them all over Disney World (I have a partial list here) — book a breakfast buffet and you’re almost sure to see them. If you’d rather not deal with locking off time for a full meal, head to Sleepy Hollow in the Magic Kingdom to get a giant version!

Giant Mickey Waffle at Sleepy Hollow

Tonga Toast at Disney’s Polynesian Resort

This isn’t your standard stuffed french toast. Tonga Toast is basically a 2-inch thick piece of banana-stuffed, cinnamon-sugar coated, deep-fried goodness! You can find it at the Polynesian’s Kona Cafe as well as at Captain Cook’s downstairs!

Be sure to request strawberry compote and macadamia nut butter to go along with your toast!

Kona Cafe's Tonga Toast!

Cinnamon Roll at Main Street Bakery

Finally, we arrive at the larger-than-life Cinnamon Roll at the Magic Kingdom’s Main Street Bakery! (I wish we had smell-o-blogging!) These cinnamon rolls seem to get bigger and bigger each time I’m in the bakery, and they’re definitely enough to share. We can only hope they return when the bakery re-opens from its Starbucks renovation.

Main Street Bakery Cinnamon Roll with Extra Icing!

There’s one important thing to remember, though — make sure you get the extra, added scoop of cream cheese frosting on top of your roll! That’s right, the Bakery actually has a vat of melty frosting that they use to top the ordered rolls going out on the plates. Now that’s a Disney difference…

Main Street Bakery cinnamon roll cross-section!

Other Suggestions

Of course, while those were the most-recommended breakfast options, there were other stand-outs as well! Here are a few of the other “Best Thing I Ever Ate at Disney!” Breakfast suggestions:

• Beignets at Port Orleans French Quarter
  • Chocolate danish and Cheese danish (Yes; it was that specific!)
  • Date nut bread from the old Tangaroa Terrace at Disney’s Polynesian Resort

Anything we’ve missed? Tell us about your “Best Thing You Ever Ate” in Disney for breakfast in the comments section below!

Thanks to all of you who made my mouth water with your delicious “Best Thing I Ever Ate at Disney!” breakfast suggestions! Next up in the series: Appetizers and Side Dishes!

1. isaias says:

Ham and Cheese sandwich at all star sports resort, best ham and cheese ever

2. Cindi says:

The Samoan at Kona Cafe! Best breakfast I have EVER had! It’s pulled pork hash topped witha poached egg and hollandaise. I could have died and went to heaven after the first bite!

3. Jen says:

I definatley will try the waffle. We ususally stay in the disney villas and yes I confess I bring my disney waffle maker and buy the disney waffle mix to make my own before heading to the park. The kids love them with fresh strawberries and blackberries on it. I have never had one in the park but now that I know i can get it at sleepy hallow without having to do a buffet (like chief mickey) I will defiantely check it out.

4. Sarah says:

I LOVE the cheesy potatoe bake at the Norway princess breakfast. Yum!!

5. Caitlin says:

Napoleons at the French bakery in the World Showcase…oh…I die!

6. Kristen says:

I ended up on your blog via Twitter. I now want to go to Disney specifically to try that Tonga toast. That looks like the most amazing thing I’ve ever seen. I think my next Disney visit will be based around where the best food is!

7. Heather says:

Tonga Toast. I have a trip coming up in Dec and I plan to spend every single morning at Kona Cafe (even though I’m not staying at the Poly). I have even tried to make it at home. It *almost* was edible. But nowhere near the heavenly goodness that is found at the Poly. Not just the best Disney breakfast, but the best Disney meal. (PS: Don’t make the mistake of thinking The Rainforest Cafe’s Tonga Toast in AK is the same thing. It’s not. At all. It’s just French toast. )

8. Brenda says:

Citrus pancakes from Grand Floridian Cafe, Mickey Waffles, Wolfgang Puck Breakfast Pizza, and Beignets from French Quarter :)

9. Gina says:

Two items…both years ago!
    1. Sticky Mickeys at Breakfast at Chef Mickeys
    2. The, I believe, short lived Handwich at Magic Kingdom

10. Tricia says:

I don’t always get to the Disney parks when I visit my aunt every year. However, right from the airport I head to Downtown Disney for lunch at Portobello Country Italian Trattoria. I order the Portobello Mushroom Appetizer. It is wood roasted with gorgonzola, polenta and a rosemary sauce. I order one for an appetizer and then one for my entree. Yes, it is THAT good!

11. Iris Jones says:

The best thing I ever ate for breakfast at WDW was at the Grand Floridian Cafe – lobster eggs Benedict. nom-nom

12. Janet says:

Whispering Canyon strawberry banana(?) bread and Trails End breakfast pizza have been must haves for us, not sure if they still make either

13. Ryan Danger Sims says:

The all-you-can-eat buffet at Goofy’s Kitchen. THE BEST EVER!

14. Luce says:

Best thing I ever ate at Disney was the crispy pork chop and breakfast potatoes at Olivia’s in Old key West resort.

My mouth instantly waters anytime I think about it.
    I think I might post about it on my blog.

15. Cara says:

The best thing that I ever ate for breakfast in Disney World is the caramel apple stuffed french toast at Cinderella’s Royal Table in the Magic Kingdom. This cannot even be called breakfast, it is more like dessert! The apples and caramel are a perfect combination to the moist french toast with warm cream cheese in the middle. If you are a sweet lover, you cannot pass up this fabulous breakfast meal!

16. Robert says:

Tonga Toast is delicious though it seemed to be missing something that last time I had it.

The stacked Kouzzina breakfast at Kouzzina’s ( eggs, sweet potato hash, bacon or chicken sausage, olive toast and the artichoke spread is also fantastic.