Best Disney Fried Chicken

I can’t believe I haven’t done a best fried chicken post, yet, but maybe that’s because I was subconsciously waiting until I got the chance to try the fried chicken wonderfulness at The Plaza Inn in Disneyland!

Whatever the reason, it’s time to jump into a big vat of fatty, greasy flavor today on the DFB!!!! Let’s talk chicken-that-is-fried!!! Here are three of my very favorite Disney fried chicken versions. Let me know your favorites in the comments section so I can try ‘em!

50′s Prime Time Cafe Fried Chicken, Disney’s Hollywood Studios, Disney World

Aunt Liz’s Golden Fried Chicken at 50′s Prime Time Cafe has always been one of my favorite meals in Disney World.

It’s served with mashed potatoes, gravy, and southern greens, but if you’re like me and know you won’t eat the greens, it’s best to substitute beans or something else you will eat. Don’t want to end up standing in the corner for not eating your veggies, do you? ;-)

Aunt Liz's Golden Fried chicken

A large portion, this one, so don’t forget to come prepared with an empty stomach! And if you’d rather try a bit of this along with some of the restaurant’s other two signature dishes — pot roast and meatloaf — get the 50′s Prime Time Cafe sampler platter!

Plaza Inn Fried Chicken, Disneyland Park

Yep, I’ve been told that the Plaza Inn Fried Chicken is wonderful and indeed it is! The Plaza Inn has been touting this chicken as its specialty for years, and there’s good reason.

Plaza Inn Fried Chicken

Plaza Inn is a table-service character restaurant for breakfast, but turns into a counter-service “cafeteria” spot for lunch and dinner. Just walk in and find the fried chicken station, then go to town! Once again, the chicken comes in a monstrous portion, though, and includes mashed potatoes, gravy, beans, and a biscuit. So unless you’re super hungry (like me), get a friend to help!

Don’t forget to sample one of the Inn’s awesome desserts — they’re always over the top delicious!

Hoop Dee Doo Revue Fried Chicken, Fort Wilderness, Disney World

OK, this chicken tastes deeeeelicous, but there are two more reasons that it makes my Best Fried Chicken list:

1. It’s All-You-Can-Eat
  2. It comes with a show!

Yep, this chicken will come to your table in a big ol’ bucket while you’re watching the Hoop Dee Doo Revue — one of the longest-running and most beloved shows in Disney history!

And when you’re actually paying attention to the food in front of you, you’re in for a treat.

Hoop Dee Doo Revue Bucke of Fried Chicken

The fried chicken is plump, crispy, and packing some serious flavor; so along with the ribs, beans, mashed potatoes, corn bread, and the rest of the spread on your table, you’re in for a great meal! And don’t forget the Strawberry Shortcake!!

You can see our review of the revue here!

UPDATE: Thanks to the comments I was reminded of the gorgeous Fried Chicken and Waffles at Trail’s End! See our review here!

So, it’s time to share your favorite fried chicken memories from the Disney parks and resorts! Let us know what whets your whistle when it comes to this classic favorite!

1. jill says:

just this past week we had the 50′s prime time fried chicken and it truly was awesome!

2. Jason says:

The also have a fired chicken and waffles dish at The Wave (or, at least, they did). It was great. If not that chicken, then it has to be Hoop Dee Doo.

3. melissa sue says:

Fried chicken and waffles at Trail’s End!

4. James D. says:

I’m in complete agreement with you on #1 and #3, and I trust you enough to take your word for #2 since I’ve never been to Disneyland. I will give a word of warning about the mashed potatoes at the 50′s Primetime CafĂ© — they are *garlic* mashed potatoes and *very* heavy on the garlic. If you’re there on a date, or if your spouse hates garlic breath, you may want to substitute the mashed potatoes for something else along with those green beans…

5. Diane says:

We picked up fried chicken from Trail’s End (can do on dining plan) and took it for a picnic just before the Campfire Sing-A-Long with Chip and Dale. It’s probably the same chicken you get at Hoop De Doo. It was really, really good.

Jill — Rock on!! Good for you!

Jason — Thanks for the tip on the Wave! Will check it out!

Melissa Sue — Forgot about it! Added it to the post!

James D. — Good point!

Diane — What an excellent idea! Sounds like an awesome (and inexpensive!) night! I’ll recommend this to others.

7. Kelley says:

50′s has a gluten-free version of the fried chicken if you ask. It takes a little longer for the chef to prepare, but it’s great! As fried/batter-type things usually have to go when you have to be gluten-free, this is a real treat!

8. Christal says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE the Plaza Inn chicken, we get it at least 2x’s every visit. I guess you can say Im a bit onesided since I have never been to WDW so I dont know about the others :(

9. Elex says:

Thanks to this post I just changed a dining reservation from Sci-Fi Dine-In to try the Picnic Burger (from a previous post) to Trails End just to get the chicken and waffles. Being from California I have great memories of Roscoes. Cant wait to try them. Disney 24 get here already, I don’t think I can wait 34 more days!!

Elex — Don’t forget to get that sticky bun sundae!

11. melissa sue says:

Elex: you will not regret it!! And absolutely try the sticky bun sundae … soooo delicious!

12. JoAnn says:

I love the chicken at 50′s Prime Time

13. Aydin says:

I’ve only tried the one at 50′s Prime Time so I can’t compare them, but I CAN say it’s one of the best fried chickens I’ve ever tasted. The outside was perfectly light and crispy while inside it was surprisingly moist and tender!
    And the unsung hero of this plate? The greens! Unlike the photo shown, the two times I’ve had it, it was served with collard greens, cooked (but not overcooked) with smoked ham. It single-handedly got me into cooking southern-style greens, and we now eat collards or chard once a week!

14. Roz Vining says:

We’re from Louisiana and we love fried chicken!!! (and seafood of course!!) and by far 50′s Prime Time is the best!! We make sure to eat there every visit. If you haven’t tried it yet you are missing out. Awesome !!!