OK, I have a really funny story about Rose & Crown’s Cottage Pie.
Rose and Crown Pub and Dining Room
When I was tiny and my parents took us to Disney World, we ate “in England” (I know it’s the UK, but back then we just called it England) at Epcot’s Rose and Crown Pub and Dining Room. My big brother ordered the Cottage Pie and fell in love with it! My dad got the recipe and made the dish at home.
Well, my palate had not yet expanded to include Cottage Pie, and I refused to eat it! (Can you imagine?!) I was sent to bed without dinner, and apparently I learned my lesson! 😉
Luckily, my taste buds have matured…and I’m excited to share the recipe for this dish with you today! Like everything else on the menu, the Cottage Pie has an authentic flavor that reminds me of home cooked food of the British Isles.
But if you can’t make it across the pond, no worries — we have an easy recipe that you can make right at home!
Disney World’s Rose and Crown Restaurant Cottage Pie Recip
Yield: 4 servings
1/4 cup butter
1 cup diced onion
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon ground savory (Yeah, I don’t know what this is, either. Check here for substitutions.)
1 cup brown gravy (homemade or instant)
2 cups mashed potatoes
1. Heat 1/4 cup butter in a 9-inch skillet.
2. Add onion and cook until lightly browned, stirring consistently.
3. Add beef, salt, pepper, and savory (or whatever you’re using instead) and continue cooking 5 minutes longer.
4. Stir in gravy and heat until bubbling.
5. Spoon into a buttered, 8-cup flat casserole dish. (My dad always used a circular dish, or you could use ramekins as they do at Rose and Crown.)
6. Top meat mixture with mashed potatoes.
7. Dot with pieces of butter.
8. Bake at 400°F for 15 to 20 minutes or until potatoes are lightly browned.
Will you be making this delicious dish this weekend? Leave a comment and tell us about it!