Dole Whips, Dole Whips, Everywhere…

Ladies and gentlemen, I am thrilled to announce that I have now (I think!) ordered Dole Whips or Dole Whip Floats at every possible Disney parks location, and I am now able to write the mother of all Dole Whip blog posts! ;-) For a primer on Dole Whips, check out this original Dole Whip post, and this post about where to get Dole Whips outside of Disney’s gates.

Now, let’s take a tour and see how Disney’s locations compare:

Aloha Isle: Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom

When in Disney World, this spot is synonymous with Dole Whips. There’s actually not a whole lot more you can get here, so be ready for some non-dairy cold stuff just about any way you slice it!

Aloha Isle

Aloha Isle Menu

At this location, you can order a regular pineapple-flavored Dole Whip; a Dole Whip float (soft-serve and pineapple juice) with either vanilla, orange, or pineapple soft-serve; a citrus swirl (orange and vanilla swirled soft-serve); or a Coke or Root Beer float with vanilla soft-serve. You can also get chips, or a fresh pineapple spear.

Disney World Aloha Isle Dole Whip Float

Walt Disney World’s Polynesian Resort

UPDATE: Dole Whip is no longer being served at Captain Cook’s, is no longer self-serve, and is no longer available 24 hours a day. You’ll now find Dole Whip at the Pineapple Lanai in Disney’s Polynesian Village in addition to Aloha Isle at the Magic Kingdom. You can also find Dole Whip available intermittently at Animal Kingdom’s Tamu Tamu Refreshments, and at Epcot during some special events. On the upside, you can also get a Dole Whip Float at Pineapple Lanai!

Just across Seven Seas Lagoon from the Magic Kingdom is Disney’s Polynesian Resort, beloved by many not only for the great food you can find at ‘Ohana and Kona Cafe, but also for offering late night Dole Whips!

Head over to Captain Cook’s and you’ll find a do-it-yourself Dole Whip machine. Yep, that’s right, that means you get to swirl your Dole Whip as high as you like it! (I actually had a CM pop out of the kitchen to tell me that I hadn’t filled my cup enough and needed to add a few more swirls!)

Captain Cook's Dole Whip Machine

Close-up View of Dole Whip Machine

Here’s the protocol: when you arrive at Captain Cook’s, head straight to the registers to order and pay for your Dole Whip. You’ll be given a plastic bowl and sent on your way over to the machine. After that, it’s up to you!

Dole Whip From Captain Cook's

Sunshine Tree Terrace: Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom

2012 NOTE: Sunshine Tree Terrace is not currently serving Dole Whip, but you CAN get a real live Citrus Swirl here!
While Sunshine Tree Terrace is open only seasonally, you can still get your fix here when it is! This is one of Disney World’s oldest and longest-running counter service locations — you can read the history of Sunshine Tree Terrace here.

Sunshine Tree Terrace Open for Business

Located in Adventureland, this location has chocolate soft-serve in addition to the pineapple and vanilla, so you can make some…interesting…combinations here! Dole Whip Floats, as well as Coke, Sprite, Root Beer, and other floats are available at this location as well.

Sunshine Tree Terrace Menu circa 2009

Juice at Sunshine Tree Terrace

Tiki Juice Bar, Hosted By Dole: Disneyland Adventureland

In Disneyland, the Tiki Juice Bar and all things Dole Whip are lovingly woven into the original Enchanted Tiki Room attraction (also presented by Dole, incidentally) queue area, which happens to consist of a really cool “pre-show,” which I won’t spoil for you.

Tiki Juice Bar in Disneyland -- Menu

The menu here is simpler than those in Disney World — pineapple spear, Dole Whip, Dole Whip Float, Pineapple Juice, Fruit Bowl. No swirls or oranges or chocolates or root beer anything here. Just pineapple as far as the eye can see. Which is OK with me, as I’m a pure pineapple sort of person when it comes to my Dole Whips. And I’m going to give you two images of the Dole Whip Float I ordered, both because it’s so cool (um…umbrella and cherry?!??!?! Hello, Disney World, are you watching?!?!), and because the second will give you a better view of the Tiki Juice Bar in the background.

Disneyland Dole Whip Float

Disneyland Dole Whip With Tiki Juice Bar in Background

And The Verdict Is…

They all taste the same. Well, of course they do! They all come from a Dole Whip Mix that Disney (and you!) can get from a place called Unified Enterprises Corp. I know, it’s not-so-magical, but at least it tastes good!

But, I will say that Disneyland 100% wins out on presentation. The addition of a little umbrella and a cherry wins big, monster points in my book. I am a big fan of both little umbrellas AND cherries.

Where’s your favorite place to get a Dole Whip or a Dole Whip Float? Let us know your experiences in the comments section of this blog, or visit us on facebook or twitter to voice your opinion on the mighty Dole Whip!

1. robin says:

this has got to be your BEST POST EVER. an homage to the dole whip?! ABSOLUTE GENIUS!

thank you AJ! :)

2. Holly says:

Ooooh!!! I didn’t know about the do-it-yourself Dole Whip machine at Captain Cook’s – that is awesome!!

3. Cody says:

Great Post AJ! Didnt know you could get them at Sunshine Tree Terrace, i even walked past it last saturday and thought, i wonder if they sell them here… haha

When i ate my latest Dole Whip on Saturday, a lady was trying to eat here Pineapple Float before it melted (take in mind it was abotu 90 degrees) and she just stares at it and says, “I just have never seen anything like this before.” And just stares at it, as its melting in the sun.

4. Tim W says:

Great write-up AJ! I’m leaning toward the Disneyland Dole Whip being the best because of the umbrella and cherry. But c’mon, serve yourself at Captain Cook’s? That’s really hard to beat!

5. dole whip fanatic says:

I love dole whip so much! I was last at WDW in January, during the cold snap where it actually snowed. Our first night in MK my husband thought I was INSANE when I insisted we head over to Adventureland to see if Aloha Isle was open. It wasn’t and sadly I had to wait two more days before we spotted it open. I had Dole Whip every day of the trip after that :)

6. Kelly says:

Who isn’t a fan of umbrella’s & cherries. Great post!

7. Sarah says:

If I don’t brave the heat this weekend for a Dole Whip, I’ll definitely get one next Saturday! It’s been too long since I’ve had one. I’ll have to get one while in Disneyland in September, too; the little umbrella and a cherry is awesome!

8. Angie says:

I have to say Captain Cook’s is the best place to get them. While I’m not sure if it’s technically allowed, I can say for a fact that I’ve gone back for seconds on multiple trips and never been stopped. All you can eat Dole Whip is definitely a winner!!

9. Brandi says:

Great post!

This is one of the things I am looking forward to most for our WDW trip in June. I think my parents still have the cups from our very first Dole Whip in 1999.

I am somewhat disappointed, though. I got a Dole Whip last April in Disneyland and didn’t get the cute umbrella or cherry. Oh well…it was still delicious, though!

10. Last May I was so sad when I never was able to get a Dole Whip at Disney World. When we scheduled the quick trip in February for DisneySMMoms I knew I had to rectify that situation. Of course, each day we were at the Magic Kingdom it was raining. No time to stop and get a Dole Whip. Thank goodness we stayed part of the time at the Polynesian. One night after an event I asked hubby to please go and get me a Dole Whip at Capt. Cook’s and he was fabulous and did that. YUM!

11. Leah mother of 5 says:

My whole family agrees that we get a Dole Whip first thing upon arriving at WDW. It’s a great start to our yearly September trip to WDW. It would be great if they offered a banana version too.

Robin — Why, thank you! I couldn’t wait to try the Disneyland Dole Whip so that I could write the post. Now, if someone tells me they have Dole Whip in an international Disney park, I’m done for!

Holly — Yes! And there are clearly anecdotes that suggest you can get seconds… ;-)

Cody — That’s hilarious! I hope she liked it!

Tim — So true. Serve yourself (and get encouragement to pile on even more!) is pretty great.

Dole Whip Fanatic — Hey, some folks just don’t get it. (I’m from the northeast, though — if we waited until it was warm to eat ice cream, we’d never eat it!)

Kelly — That’s what I say! I really liked that little touch… :-)

Sarah — I hadn’t had one in a long time until last week. We always visit the MK in the morning before Aloha Isle is open, and we never make it over to Captain Cook’s :-(

Angie — Great info!! Thanks!!

Brandi — No umbrella or cherry?! What’s up with that?! If I find out that’s not a normal occurrence, the WDW definitely wins for its cool cups.

TAF — Yum, indeed! Isn’t it great to have good friends? :-)

13. Karen Rice says:

Great post!

Umbrellas and cherries….not optional!

Just came back from Poly a few weeks ago….did get the Dole Whip at Capt. Cook’s. While it was good, I would definitely have enjoyed it more with an umbrella and cherry. Like having a glass of wine in a paper cup….the wine’s still good but somehow not as enjoyable. Presentation is everything! :-)

14. Jennifer says:

Didn’t know about Capt Cook’s! Good news, since we are going to Epcot only on our next trip to WDW! But we’re having breakfast at the Polynesian one morning, so I can get my Dole Whip after that (better save room)!

15. SO. FREAKIN. AWESOME.

16. James (Disneynorth) says:

AJ, without a doubt, your best post ever!!!

Only 146 more sleeps until I can enjoy a Dole Whip float!!!

17. Stephanie says:

I love this post. And yes, Disney World definitely needs umbrellas and cherries!

18. Hedy says:

I like Dole Whips, I don’t OMG lurve them the way, say, pne of my brothers does. However, I got him the mix for his birthday a couple of years ago and he LOVED it. Might be worth looking into for a gift for the Dole Whip fan in your life.

19. Shayne says:

Can you believe I’ve never had one of these? I read about how others think they are heavenly and I’m almost afraid to try one now — either it will be disappointing after all the build up or I’ll get addicted. But I think I’ll have to be brave and get one at Disneyland in September. The umbrella/cherry combo really makes it irresistible!

20. [...] manages to serve two of the biggest cult favorites in the Disney fan community:  Tonga toast and Dole Whips.  I’ve had both items here.  The tonga toast is the exact same stuff that is served at Kona [...]

21. Elita says:

What is a Dole Whip?

Elita — It’s a non-dairy soft serve sweet treat. The texture is identical to soft-serve frozen yogurt or ice cream. It comes in several different flavors, but the most popular one in WDW is the pineapple version.

23. Elita says:

Thanks! Is it served in a cup of pineapple juice in the float version? ? It looks like a great treat on a hot Florida day.

Exactly! It’s a delicious, light way to cool off, to be sure! (But I like ‘em just as much in the winter…)

25. BBC says:

AJ! Now I am totally craving this stuff. If only they had some at AK so I could just drive the 4 minutes over there and get it.

Well, heck, if you’re that close, just head over to the Poly, BBC! :-)

27. Kelly says:

Dole Whips while waiting for the Tiki Room in DL are great, but late-night Dole Whip runs when you stay at the Poly are AWESOME!

28. Lara says:

Wow, what could be better than a Dole Whip Float?!~
    Did try my first self serve at The Poly on my last trip and had to teach my friend that you build walls and fill in between – I wish someone at Aloha Aisle would teach them that too – I hate that air hole in the middle – give me more dole whip!!

Kelly — I agree on both counts! Any Dole Whip, any time!

Lara — GREAT point on the air hole! What’s that about?!?

30. John says:

I really miss the old-fashioned Citrus Swirl with the real frozen (almost bitter) orange juice and vanilla ice cream. Now all they have is some lousy bright orange “minuet maid orange flavored” junk. My favorite treat is gone.

Sorry to hear that, John :-( It’s always hard when you lose one of your favorites.

32. Lori says:

I am with you, John. We just returned from WDW, and imagine my surprise when I made my way to the Tiki Bird House to get my fav snack – and they no longer serve the orange juice and ice cream swirl. I tried the “push – up” flavored citrus swirl. Not the same. After 35 years I was a little sad but I quickly re-adjusted and the next day had my second fav – the frozen chocolate covered banana. All is well in the Magic Kingdom!

33. Deanna says:

I just had a Dole Whip Float at Disneyland today. It’s been one of my favorite things for a long time but I haven’t had one for about 2 years. Anyway, today I was really disappointed – I swear they’ve changed the recipe.

The soft serve used to be a lot more tart and a lot less soft-serve-fakey cream texture. They also used to have chunks of fresh pineapple in the float. The pineapple juice it was served in even seemed watered down.

Is my memory just distorted or has someone else noticed a difference?

34. Daniel says:

I was in line for the Indiana Jones ride this past Sunday night and a gentleman was enjoying a Dole Whip that was glowing red (it looked like one of their glowing plastic ice cubes set for that color was in it). I asked him if he put them together himself and he said that you can ask for it. Does it have a name and why haven’t I seen these before? :-D

Daniel — I know you can order a glow cube in the restaurants for a fee; I wonder if you can do so for Dole whips as well!

36. Cleo says:

At worst, I thought it was canned pineapple juice blended into vanilla ice cream. I never dreamed that it was fake food.

37. Theresa says:

Just to add…. once I had a dole whip at the Florida State Fair and I also got one in Hawaii.

38. Stacey says:

My friends are in Disney World as we speak and she posted a pic of her Dole Whip Float. I had never had/heard of one, so I had to google it and see what it was. Now I am re-thinking the cruise for Xmas and maybe Disney World for a Dole Whip float!! Of course, I could always take a 30 minute drive for the Dole Whip at Rudy’s Drive-in in La Crosse, WI and take my own pineapple juice (just in case)!! Sounds soooo yummy!! Glad I found this blog :)

Glad you found us, too, Stacey!

40. Jessica says:

Does anyone know if all of the flavors are non dairy or just the pineapple?? I’m most curious about the orange and vanilla!
    Thanks!

I’m pretty sure all the flavors are non-dairy, Jessica. Definitely would need to check the website for the company that makes the product.

42. jennifer says:

If you can’t get to Disneyland in Southern Cal but live in Southern cal and want a Dole Whip, you can go to Strickland’s in Irvine, CA and get a Dole Whip. It’s is the real thing, same exact whip minus Disneyland admission and Mickey. If you gotta have a Dole Whip and can’t make it to Disneyland in Anaheim, drive another 10 minutes to Strickland and enjoy!

43. Deb Audette says:

Dole whip is available at the pool at Disney’s Vero Beach resort!
    We had it there last week. So surprised to see it.

44. Alex says:

I’ll be honest, I had never heard of these until my boyfriend’s mom (a huge Disney aficionado) told me about them a few months ago. It sounded pretty off-putting at first, and I’ll be honest, I’m still not sure how I feel about pineapple soft-serve, but after both her rave and yours, this might be on my must-try list when we all go to WDW this August. (I know she’ll know where to find them!)

45. Momo says:

Does anyone know if Dole Whips are available on the Disney Cruise ships? I’m going on the Disney Dream in August. If not, no worries, I’m staying at WDW for a few days before I board…I’m sure I’ll hit up Aloha Aisle lol.

Awesome blog by the way! :)

Momo — To my knowledge, no dole whip on the cruise ships. Soft serve there is choc, vanilla, and possibly strawberry or banana. Enjoy the cruise though! It’s awesome!!

47. Darzboyz says:

Okay, so embarassed to even say this but I’ve been to WDW a few times but never even heard about Dole Whips until now (I know, must have been living under a rock right?) Can anyone tell me if there is a place to get them in the Hollywood Studios park or is it something just in the Magic Kingdom?

Thanks so much for all the hints!

48. April says:

I’ve had the Dole Whip at Disneyland, but my all-time favorite was at the Dole Plantation on Oahu with some fresh Dole pineapple chunks served with it! Fabulous!

49. Angela says:

Great post. The best Dole Whip to me is hands down the one at Disneyland simply because it can be eaten inside the Tiki Room. My favorite memories from childhood include watching the birdies sing while enjoying a cool, refreshing Dole Whip. I cannot begin to say how disappointing it was to arrive on my first visit to WDW only to be turned away at the Tiki Room with our Dole Whips in hand. The CM was very supportive and said “You must be from the West coast”.

50. Beth says:

After a visit to our local amusement park located in Pittsburgh, PA, I was THRILLED to see that Kennywood Park is now offering Dole Whips!! I’d never had one before, and after trying it at Kennywood, I’ll be getting one on our November 2012 trip in MK…of course I have to taste test to see if there is any difference! :)