The Little Dessert That Packs a Punch
Disney theme parks have their iconic treats (think Dole Whips and Mickey Bars), but the Disney World resorts have theirs as well. One of the most well-known and documented of these is the coffee-kahlua flavored Zebra Dome made famous by Animal Kingdom Lodge’s Boma Restaurant.
While these take a while (many ingredients and even more steps) to make, the outcome is pretty extravagant. I’ve often found that people either passionately love these little desserts or vehemently hate them. You rarely find someone in between!
These are great to make for your next dinner party, or, if you’re wild and crazy, for your 4th of July Barbecue! (You KNOW that’s what you were thinking! Be honest!)
Now, the flexipan domes the recipe calls for seem really expensive! Does anyone have any good alternatives?
Where to Find ‘Em
Zebra Domes are a staple at Boma, a table-service buffet restaurant at Animal Kingdom Lodge (call 407-WDW-Dine for reservations). But due to popular demand, you can also purchase them in the quick service location, The Mara, as a grab-and-go item.
1 pound milk chocolate
¼ cup espresso coffee
5 egg yolks
¼ cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
6 sheets gelatin
½ cup Kahlua Liqueur
4 cups heavy cream
¾ cup white chocolate ganache
¼ cup dark chocolate ganache
sponge cake (store-bought or your favorite recipe)
1. Melt milk chocolate.
2. Whip heavy cream to soft peaks.
3. Mix yolks with sugar.
4. Soften gelatin leaves in cold water.
5. Mix gelatin with Kahlua and coffee. Set bowl over hot water bath to dissolve the gelatin.
6. Fold ⅓ of whipped cream into the chocolate.
7. Add the yolks, then the gelatin mixture.
8. Fold in the rest of the cream.
9. Pour mousse in flexipan domes almost to the top.
10. Place sponge circle (¼” thick yellow cake cut in a circle) on top. Leave in the freezer to set.
11. Once hard, unmold and place in glazing racks.
12. Make white chocolate ganache and chocolate ganache.
13. Put chocolate ganache in a pastry bag. Ladle white chocolate ganache to cover each dome. Simultaneously, pipe a stripe design of chocolate ganache over the dome.
14. Refrigerate to allow the glaze to set.
15. Decorate the bottom edge with coffee crunch.
16. Place a chocolate covered coffee bean on the center of each dome.
Note: One sheet of gelatin is equal to one teaspoon of unflavored powdered gelatin dissolved in ¼ cup of water.
The Mara photo courtesy of AKLResort.com.