New! Chocolate Beer Cupcake at Captain Cook’s in Disney World

Welp, it was bound to happen sometime…and I wish I was there to try it!!

We got the word from a couple of awesome readers this week that Captain Cook’s in Disney’s Polynesian Resort has introduced several new cupcakes, including a PB&J version and…a Chocolate Beer cupcake!!

Chocolate Beer Cupcake

Thanks to @Michaellburk for the awesome pics and his review:

The frosting is very good. Very malty, not too sweet. The cake itself, you could definitely taste the beer.

And thanks to DFB Guest Author @JoeyB586 for this review:

It was a very interesting flavor. The beer and chocolate flavors shared prominence, and it definitely had the taste and aftertaste of beer. The barley and hops taste was noticeable. It seemed like a bizarre combination of flavors. I’m glad I tried it, but it’s probably not something I would get again.

Captain Cook's Chocolate Beer Cupcake

So there you have it!! Chocolate Beer Cupcake! This will likely be a temporary addition to Captain Cook’s, as they cycle through several different cupcakes, usually coming up with fun and innovative ideas! It’s a hidden gem for cupcake lovers! :-)

Is the Chocolate Beer Cupcake on your list to try on your next visit?

1. Rebecca Bain says:

Is there real beer in the cupcake? Do you have to be 21 to buy it?

2. Courtney says:

Yum! A local cupcake place where I live sells an amazing Guinness cupcake. It’s like chocolate malty goodness – can’t wait to try this one!

3. Jaia says:

I love this and I can’t wait to try it! I have a Chocolate Guinness cupcake recipe that is delish so I’m sure this will be too!

4. Jody says:

Yep, it definitely depends on the type of beer they use. Guinness and chocolate are amazing (my girls especially love it when I make Guinness cupcakes and top them with an Irish Cream frosting). Oh yum!

Rebecca Bain — There is real beer in the cupcake, I believe. I’m pretty sure you don’t have to be 21 to buy it, but I’ll ask the reviewers!

Courtney — Awesome!! Let us know what you think!

Jaia — Yay! I can’t wait to hear your review!

Jody — Ha ha! That sounds amazing!

6. JoAnn says:

Chocolate and beer are two of my favorite things (picture me dancing like Julie Andrews). I would so try this if I were there right now.

7. Tricia says:

YUCK.. Sorry hate the hops taste of beer. Totally not for me.

8. Michael says:

Discovered this little “gem” on New Year’s Eve just before the fireworks… Looked and said ” beer, check…. chocolate, check… pretzel, check”. Frosting was the best part, still sweet, but with malty (as in beer) finish. The chocolate cupcake in my opinion was a little on the dry side and could have used something more. I kept thinking this would be great with Ben & Jerries Chubby Hubby ice cream. My wife the lover of all things cupcake was not overly impressed. Worth trying, but not the best one out there. I had the Red Velvet from Starring Roles last week during our stay and loved it! At the end of the day, per my wife…. Cake/cupcakes are really nothing more than frosting delivery mechanisms…. lol

9. Michael says:

Yes there is real beer in it and no you do not need to 21 to purchase : )

10. Pudge the Fish says:

These “Celtic” cupcakes are delicious. I’m surprised to see them at WDW, and Polynesian of all places. (Cookes of Dublin would be appropriate.) I’ve made them myself several times and they are great to take to parties. I am not a huge fan of drinking a pint of Guinness but I love these cupcakes as well as the Guinness ice cream that is served in my home town ice cream parlor.

11. Bob Sikon says:

Greetings, all! My wife and I shared one last week. It was pretty good. She went down to Cook’s looking for a cupcake she had seen over at Contempo Cafe, and she found this one instead. Good thing! I would rather have the beer cupcake. The beer taste was very subtle in both the frosting and the cake. Oddly, she seemed to pick up the flavor in the frosting. I picked it up more in the cake. I’m not a huge chocolate fan (ducking for cover as you throw things at me), but I would have this one again. Oh, and the pretzel made for a very nice touch.

12. Jennifer says:

Yum, if it’s still available end of next month, I’ll try it! Preferably after I’ve done the Princess Half Marathon, LOL

13. Summer says:

I’m wondering if the previous commenter Courtney and I live in the same community? I was just about to post the exact same thing she did! I love the Guiness cupcake that I’ve tried before and would love to try this one at WDW to compare! Might have to make a stop at the Poly next month.

14. Joey says:

It is definitely worth a try! I would agree with Bob’s assessment that the beer flavor is probably more prominent in the cake, but I did notice it in the frosting too.

I wish I would have asked what sort of beer they used. Judging from what I remember, it likely was a more stout beer, something akin to Guinness. I am sure a lot of you will enjoy it!

My approach to cupcakes is probably closer to Michael’s wife. While I do notice the quality of the cake, and appreciate the differences, my favorite part of cupcakes is always the frosting.

15. JM says:

Well, my son and I read all your posts….and on our recent trip,we tried numerous cupcakes,due to your advice and inspiration….I guess there’ll always be new and different cupcakes to enjoy when we go next! That’s awesome!

16. Sue S says:

My hubby and I were able to try this cupcake a couple of weeks ago while on vacation and my hubby liked it so much that we had to go back later in our trip for another one. I was surprised because he isn’t much of a sweets person.

17. Claybob says:

I CAN’T WAIT to snag one of these! Dark beer, dark chocolate and pretzles…what more can I ask for? Well, maybe a Dole Whip chaser? Ok, I’m greedy…I want both!

18. Joyce says: