Get out your favorite baking tools, because we’ve got an incredible pie recipe to share with you today!
With Thanksgiving coming up, we thought this pie inspired by Magic of Disney’s Animal Kingdom on Disney+ would be the perfect new baking project to try out. This one is giving us LIFE!
This Tree of Life Pie will be the talk of the dessert table this Thanksgiving!
You can bake your very own Tree of Life pie thanks to this recipe released by Disney Family.
The list of ingredients and tools is pretty simple! Gather your stuff and meet us down below for the instructions.
Now let’s get to work on this sweet little pie!
1.Roll the top and bottom halves of dough until they’re about 1/8 of an inch thick. Use bench flour as needed.
2. Fit the bottom crust into a pie plate, leaving about half an inch of dough hanging over the sides. Cut off any extra with kitchen scissors. Prick the bottom of the crust with a fork to keep it from puffing up while baking.
3. Fill the bottom crust with the pie filling.
4. Top the filling with the rolled top crust. Trim the edges of the top crust, again leaving half an inch of dough hanging over the side.
5. Tuck the edges under and flute them, then use the tips of a small fork to create decorative lines on the inner side of the fluted edge.
6. Roll out the dough for a single crust to 1/8 of an inch thickness. Use a precision knife to cut out the silhouette of the Tree of Life. You can freehand it or search for an image to print and use as a template. You’ll want the tree to be about 6 to 7 inches to fit in the middle of the pie.
7. Collect the scraps and save them for step 8. Use the precision knife and a sharp knife to impress lines on the trunk of the tree.
8. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place the tree cutout on top of the pie. Bake for 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 400°F and bake an additional 30 minutes, or until the pie is golden brown. If the edges start to get too brown, cover it with a strip of foil or a pie crust shield.
9. Re-roll the dough scraps from the single crust to create leaves and animals as desired. Use a toothpick to impress the animal’s eyes and features. Create leaves using a mini round cutter, then use a precision knife to impress veins in the leaves. Bake at 375°F for 5 to 8 minutes until the pieces are just baked.
10. Dilute the green and brown food colorings in two small bowls with a small amount of alcohol to thin them out. Use small food brushes to apply the color to the baked leaves. Once the pie has cooled completely, paint the canopy green and the trunk brown.
11. Attach the pie crust leaves to the canopy and animals to the trunk using small dabs of honey. Apply each dab with the tip of a toothpick.
We love the rustic look of this Tree of Life Pie and can’t wait to bake it and dig in!
Join the DFB Newsletter to get all the breaking news right in your inbox! Click here to Subscribe!
What’s your ideal fruit pie filling for the Tree of Life Pie? Tell us in the comments!