It’s a day of celebration… Happy Lunar New Year! Earlier today, a special video message from Disney Shanghai Resort was shared in honor of the occasion.
And now, we’ve got another Lunar New Year greeting for you… and this one is a culinary greeting from the chefs at Hong Kong Disneyland who have shared a version of Lo Hei, a “prosperity toss salad” that YOU can make as well, thanks to this Disney Recipe!
Disney (by way of Disney Parks Blog) shares that Lo Hei means “tossing up good fortune,” and that it’s tradition to gather with friends and family to enjoy this salad which often consists of fresh fish, shredded veggies, fried crackers, and plum sauce.
This dish is served on a large platter, and everyone is invited to toss and mix the ingredients together as part of the celebration while expressing well-wishes!
Disney notes that there are many interpretations of Lo Hei, and this version features ramen noodles, smoky salmon, briny abalone, prawns, and shredded vegetables with sesame and chili-soy sauces.
Are you ready? Then gather your ingredients — and friends or family — and get cookin’!
Lo Hei with Sesame and Chili-Soy Sauces from Hong Kong Disneyland
Ingredients (To Serve 4)
- 1 medium (200 grams) seedless cucumber, julienne (1 1/4 cups)
- 3 large (220 grams) carrots, julienne (1 cup)
- 1 small (60 grams) Japanese turnip, julienne (2/3 cup)
- 1/4 cup (40 grams) thinly sliced seaweed of assorted colors
- 6 ounces (160 grams) prawn with shell
- 8 ounces (240 grams) ramen noodles
- 12 ounces (360 grams) sliced smoked salmon
- 5 ounces (160 grams) drained canned abalone (16 pieces)
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) vegetable oil
- 3/4 teaspoon (4 grams) garlic paste
- 1 small (4 grams) red chili pepper, julienne
- 1/3 cup (75 milliliters) sweet soy sauce
- 3/4 cup (175 milliliters) roasted bottled sesame salad dressing
- 1 cup (60 grams) small rice crackers
- 1/2 cup (40 grams) fried shallots
FOR LO HEI:
- Wash julienned cucumber, carrot, turnip, and seaweed in cold water. Drain and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Bring large pot of water to boil. Add prawn and cook for 5 minutes, until they turn pink and curl. Remove with slotted spoon and place in cold water. Drain, then remove shells. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Bring large pot of water to boil. Add ramen noodles and cook 5 minutes, until soft. Drain and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Fold sliced smoked salmon into rings. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Rinse canned abalone in cold water. Drain and refrigerate until ready to serve.
FOR CHILI-SOY SAUCE:
- Heat vegetable oil in small skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes, until hot. Add garlic paste and red chili pepper and sauté 5 minutes, until peppers are soft. Add soy sauce and remove from heat.
- Cool to room temperature before serving.
- Pour chili-soy sauce and roasted sesame dressing in separate small bowls.
- Place shredded vegetables and noodles on the bottom of large plate. Top with prawn, smoked salmon, and abalone.
- Sprinkle with rice crackers and fried shallots. Drizzle with chili-soy sauce and roasted sesame salad dressing and toss to mix.
Disney has also shared a printable version of this recipe!
Join the DFB Newsletter to get all the breaking news right in your inbox! Click here to Subscribe!
Have you made any Disney recipes at home? Please let us know with a comment!