Planning what to do each day during your Walt Disney World Vacation is so much fun. You find yourself daydreaming about the magical memories you’ll create. You imagine the smiles on your children’s faces as they meet their favorite characters, soar high on Dumbo, twist and turn on Slinky Dog, take flight on a Banshee or get close to giraffes on an African safari. And your best day ever is topped off with a dazzling theme park fireworks display.
Keep reading for more awesome non-park day tips, and scroll to the bottom for a great deal and special offer from Small World Vacations for your next Disney Trip!
But running from ride to ride at Walt Disney World can be exhausting. Have you ever considered taking a day off to explore the possibilities beyond the theme parks? Walt Disney World encompasses 47 square miles of magic including lakes, wilderness, shopping, dining, recreation, entertainment, spas and even a wedding chapel!
Small World Vacations’ agents are glad to offer suggestions for what to do on your day off. They’ve been to Walt Disney World countless times. They can be your best resource when planning a Walt Disney World Vacation. Their goal is to get the Magic started for you!
Below are some ideas from Small World Vacations agents for some unique and fun non-theme park activities…
Add them to your plans for the first or last day of your vacation or when you just need a break from the parks. Please note – some experiences may incur a separate fee, have age/height restrictions, need advance reservations and/or require transportation by car or taxi:
• Disney Springs – So much to do (and eat!) including Star Wars™: Secrets of the Empire by ILMxLAB and The VOID, Splitsville Bowling, House of Blues, AMC Movie and Dine-In Theater, Characters in Flight, Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique, unique Food Trucks, Raglan Road Irish Pub with live music and dancing, T-Rex dining/shopping (including ”build a dino” toys), Rainforest Café, Paddlefish, Planet Hollywood, The Boathouse, Ghiradelli, Chef Art Smith’s Homecomin’, STK, Frontera Cocina, Blaze Pizza, The Polite Pig, Wolfgang Puck, Morimoto Asia, The Edison, Paradiso 37, Maria and Enzo’s, and more. Learn to decorate your own “Mickey” themed cake creation at Amorette’s Patisserie.
• Shop till you drop at a wide variety of stores at Disney Springs including the World of Disney, Zara, Anthropologie, Free People, Tumi, Harley Davidson, Pandora Jewelry, Lego and Basin. Enjoy free live entertainment at various locations throughout the day. Cruise Lake Buena Vista in a floating vintage convertible auto called an Amphicar. Click here for a map of Disney Springs.
• Immerse yourself in the timeless charm of the 1930’s Atlantic Seaboard as you stroll along Disney’s BoardWalk. Savor the flavors of the sea at Flying Fish, Italian delicacies at Trattoria al Forno, local brew at Big River Grille, and Sports Bar fare at the ESPN Club. Enjoy boardwalk quick bites, games, live entertainment. Adults age 21+ can sing along to twice the fun with dueling pianists at Jellyrolls or strut their stuff at the Atlantic Dance Hall. If you’re lucky, you might catch a view of Epcot’s Illuminations or Hollywood Studios’ fireworks. Here’s the BoardWalk Map so you can start your planning.
• Recreation – Enjoy tennis, fishing excursions, running trails, playgrounds, bike rentals, basketball, wake boarding, surf lessons at Typhoon Lagoon, tubing and watercraft rentals (sea raycers, pontoons, catamarans, sailboats and pedal boats)! Specialty and Fireworks Cruises are available at select Disney Resorts. Additional fees apply. Call 407-WDW-PLAY (939-7529) for more info and prices.
• Kids can go on a 2-hour treasure hunt with an Islands of the Caribbean Pirate Cruise, Bayou Pirate Adventure, Albatross Treasure Cruise, or Disney’s Pirate Adventure. Available at select Disney Resorts; age restrictions apply.
• Pin trading enthusiasts can add to their collection at Pin Traders, a premiere trading location at Disney Springs. Pin trading is also available at the shops at your Disney Resort.
• Golf – Try out one of the four championship golf courses operated by Arnold Palmer Golf Management.
• Mini-Golf – There are two Disney-themed courses for all ages – Winter Summerland and Fantasia Gardens.
• Fort Wilderness – Good old-fashioned fun galore! Try Horseback riding, see an authentic blacksmith at work, or enjoy pony rides, a petting farm, archery, canoes, kayaks, bike rentals, tennis, the super fun Chip and Dale Campfire, movies under the stars, a Segway tour, Hoop Dee Doo Revue, Carriage Rides, and Wagon Rides.
• Take me out to the ball game. In the mood for some peanuts and Cracker Jacks? Check out Atlanta Braves 2019 Spring Training at Disney’s Wide World of Sports.
• Work out at Health Clubs at select Disney Resorts including Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge, BoardWalk Inn and Villas, the Contemporary, Coronado Springs, Wilderness Lodge and Villas, Old Key West, Grand Floridian Resort and Spa, Saratoga Springs and the Yacht and Beach Club Resort. Available to Hotel Guests.
• Spa Treatments – Indulge in a massage, facial or manicure at Senses at the Grand Floridian Spa, Saratoga Springs Resort, Yacht Club Resort, Coronado Springs Resort, Dolphin Resort or Four Seasons. Get pool access with select treatments at the Four Seasons.
• Lounge or play in the Florida sun. Take a dip in the Disney themed main and quiet pools at your Walt Disney World Resort. Hot tubs and Cabanas are available at select resorts.
• Make a splash at Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach Water Parks. From serene to extreme, there’s a bucket of fun for everyone at Disney’s Water Parks—overflowing with thrilling slides, relaxing lounge areas, wave pools, snorkeling adventures and much more.
• Explore the beauty, landscaping, theming, and “story” of the Walt Disney World Resort Hotels. Ride the monorail or watercraft between resorts, or dine at unique restaurants and character meals.
• Disney’s version of a drive-in – watch a movie under the stars and toast marshmallows at a nightly campfire at your Disney Resort. Check with front desk or call 407-939-2273 for schedule.
• Take in a beautiful scenic landscape on a timeless journey in a horse drawn carriage. Select from two routes: Ride through the lush pine and cypress trees of Disney’s Fort Wilderness, or travel along the charming pathways of Port Orleans Riverside and the banks of the Sassagoula River.
• View animals after dark with night vision googles at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge. Arrive at the resort at sunset to watch active wildlife while it’s still light. Dine at Jiko or Boma and then trek over to the Uzima Savanna Overlook to spy animals at night. Free – first come first served.
• Adults just wanna have fun – drop your kids age 4 – 12 at the Pixar Play Zone at Disney’s Contemporary Resort (Open 6pm – 10:30pm). The rest of the evening is up to you.
• Adventures in Dining for Kids at Heart – Highway in the Sky Dine Around – Eat your way around the Monorail Resorts – a progressive 5 course meal that spans three Disney hotels (Polynesian, Grand Floridian and Contemporary). Dine with an Imagineer at Citrico’s at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort. Or, Sip, Savor and Sparkle – Experience the flavors of the Pacific Coast—and enjoy a dazzling fireworks display—during Celebration at the Top, a special event held in the private Sonoma Room and Napa Room of California Grill. Reservations required.
• Sense of Africa Tour – Take this early morning journey behind-the-scenes at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge and get an insider’s look at the sensory experiences that make this resort so unique. Breakfast included. Age 10 and up.
• Capture your vacation memories forever with a private professional Disney photographer.
• Go for your personal best or go head-to-head against the kids as you battle aliens, play sports, race cars, pinball, air hockey and more at the arcade at your Disney Resort.
• Turn back the hands of time for Afternoon Tea at the Garden View Tea Room at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort. For young princesses and princes, the Practically Perfectly Princess tea is an elegant event with music, dancing, storytelling and more at an unforgettable, courtly tea and special surprise gift.
• Celebrate a very merry un-birthday to you! Just for kids age 4 – 12, The Wonderland Tea Party at 1900 Park Fare is where pint-sized partygoers sip on tea (apple juice), decorate cupcakes, make a craft to take home, and have their photos taken with Alice and friends.
There are so many unique and magical ways to create memories at Walt Disney World without going through a turnstile!
Get the Magic started and complete a request for a price quote. An agent will review your travel preferences and provide you with a no-obligation quote along with their phone number so you can talk with them.
Exclusive Disney Food Blog and Small World Vacations Limited Time Offer
Considering booking a Disney World trip? If you want to save time and money, you definitely want to book with a Small World Vacations travel agent. And now is the perfect time!
Book a new Walt Disney World® vacation valued at $3,600 or more and get one FREE Minnie Mouse Magic Band Slider Watch Face!
Check-in at a Walt Disney World Resort between October 15, 2018 and April 15, 2019. Pay your deposit between October 10 and November 1, 2018. Offer good for US residents only. Watch Face slides onto your Magic Band. Magic Band not included.
Previously booked reservations made with Small World Vacations are not eligible. Void if reservation is cancelled. No cash value. (While supplies last. Substitutions may be necessary.)
Contact Small World Vacations for a price quote today! You must include code DFBDAY to get the special offer.
Maximize the Dining Plan! If you book a 2018 Walt Disney World Vacation Package with table service dining, you will receive one FREE digital e-Book, the Disney Food Blog Guide to Dining at Walt Disney World valued at $19.95. This guide helps you to get the most out of your Disney Dining Experience!