Snack Series: Giant Oreo Cookie Sandwich

3-2013 UPDATE: Unfortunately, we haven’t seen these in the parks for the past year or so. :-(

Every once in a while I come across something in Disney World that makes me do a double take. One example of this is the giant gummy bear in Epcot’s Germany, and another example is the giant Oreo cookie sandwich.

Giant Oreo Cookie Sandwich

So those are, indeed, massive Oreo cookies sandwiched around flavored cream (chocolate, peanut butter, mint, or vanilla). They even say Oreo on them! And they are truly large — probably about three inches across.

A lot of care goes into making these sandwiches, which are put together right in Disney World’s candy stores. Here’s one cast member putting together peanut butter-flavored cookie sandwiches at Goofy’s Candy Company.

Making Giant Oreo Cookie Sandwiches

Now, the version I purchased in the Magic Kingdom happened to be dipped in chocolate:

Chocolate Dipped Giant Oreo Cookie Sandwich From Above

Take a moment and think about layering a quarter of an inch of milk chocolate onto a massive more-than-double-stuffed Oreo cookie. Sounds good, right? It was delicious! (Though it looks like Goofy’s Candy Company packs their sandwiches with a bit more filling!)

Oreo Cross Section

Definitely sweet. Probably overly-sweet. So if you haven’t built up your sweet tolerance with things like the cheesecake brownie and the butterfinger cupcake, you might want to split this one with someone — or at least save part of it for later. ;-)

Giant oreos and chocolate-covered giant oreos in Display Case

Have you tried one of these little beauties? Let us know what you think! What flavor would you choose?

Those look amazing, and I’d have to try the peanut butter one.

One of the hardest things about going to WDW is that I never have enough time to try all of the incredible-looking desserts. I suppose I could just eat sweets my whole trip, but that may not go over well. :)

2. Emma Godbold says

I’ll second Lisa’s idea, a whole trip JUST eating sweets / desserts! Those Oreo’s look amazing, I’d have to have mine dipped! I feel a sugar rush coming on just from reading this post!!
    P.s AJ – thought of you last week when I was in New York; FAO Schwarz had those giant gummy bears ;)

3. Jo says

Oreos are my biggest weakness! You’ve just added about 1000 calories to my next vacation. Thanks a lot AJ! ;)

Yum! I think I’ve found something sweet that both of my boys will enjoy!

AJ, thank your sweet tooth for taking one for the team (blog)…lol

OOoo, I’ve had one of these this past December – the mint one from GCC! Was awesome and super-sweet. I tend to think I have a massive sweet tooth, and this was a little much for me. It would have been wise to do as suggested and maybe split it in half. But I have no will power and still ate the whole thing in one sitting :)

Oh wow! That looks awesome. I swear I am going to come home from my trip about 50 pounds heavier, haha! There is just to much amazing stuff I want to try.

7. CanadiansloveWDW says

these look amazing… the only problem is a lack of good coffee to go with them.. i guess a tall glass of milk will have to do…

These are one of my all-time favorite snacks at WDW. I don’t even bother to get them all gussied up at Goofy’s Candy Co. – I just buy them plain. They are as close as I’ll ever get to recapturing the fabulousness of Oreo Big Stuf cookies from the ’80s, may they rest in peace… :)

9. Bethabee says

I’ve tried the plain, chocolate dipped plain and chocolate dipped with peanut butter filling. The PB filling was absolutely my favorite – if you’re a PB/chocolate combo fan this will bring you a moment of nirvana. The other flavors were pretty fantastic as well.

This treat is right up there with the red velvet cheesecake cupcake at DHS!

Is it wrong that these treats are my motivation for training for half-marathons?

10. Rusty says

The Nabisco Factory used to be just a few doors down from Walt Disney’s WED Enterprises in Glendale California. One could walk outside in the back parking lot and smell the Oreo’s baking in the ovens. At lunch time you could walk over to this factory and buy some fresh Oreo’s. So is this why Disneyland sells Americas favorite cookie in a large 3 inch diameter? Was it Walt’s favorite snack?

11. Claybob says

YESSSSSS! Heading down to WDW in May and can’t wait to snag one of these goodies! I usually make it a habit to “eat my way through WDW” since it usually involves so much walking I feel as if I’m breaking even. Hmmmmmm, WRONG! I can’t wait to try the peanut butter one! OMG!