Snack Series: Fudge Brownie and Strawberry Shortcake Sundaes at Storybook Treats

UPDATE: Please note that as of June 2015, the Fudge Brownie and Strawberry Shortcake Sundaes are no longer being served at Storybook Treats.

I’d been hearing from far and wide about the yummy sundaes at Storybook Treats (formerly Mrs. Potts’ Cupboard) in Magic Kingdom’s Fantasyland, and while doing research for our DFB Mini-Guide to Magic Kingdom Snacks I finally got to try them!

There are plenty of sweet options at this little stand, sandwiched between Friar’s Nook and The Many Adventure’s of Winnie the Pooh. But some of the best known are the Strawberry Shortcake Sundae and the Fudge Brownie Sundae.

What makes these stand out in the Magic Kingdom? Well, at many stands this size you’ll find the option to purchase soft service ice cream and cookies, but this is one of the only spots that offers unique dessert options like the sundaes (you really can’t get these at other counter-service locations).

menu — click image for larger version

There’s limited outdoor seating around Storybook Treats, but not a lot that’s out of the sun. Plan accordingly.

Fudge Brownie Sundae

One of our top five Disney brownies, this sundae comes with hot fudge, but here’s a tip — you can also order it with caramel!! Me, personally? I’d probably ask if they’d throw some of that strawberry sauce on it instead. I love chocolate and strawberries!

Fudge Brownie Sundae

You can see in the close-up photo below that the brownie really is extremely moist, fudgy, and rich. No crumbly or dry brownies here!!

Fudge Brownie Sundae – close up

This one’s a real winner. And it’s also quite large, so it can be shared between two people easily. Especially when you’re just taking a break from touring the MK. But take stock of how hot it is on the day you’re visiting! You can see that our ice cream started to melt significantly before we even got the pictures taken!

Strawberry Shortcake Sundae

I think this one is my favorite, since it’s just so unique among counter service spots. A large piece of pound cake covered in soft serve and topped with yummy strawberry sundae sauce. Deeelish!

Strawberry Shortcake Sundae

You can see it a bit in the close-up below, but the pound cake is a thick, moist version — not a biscuit-type shortcake as is so often used in authentic Strawberry Shortcake. ‘Tis OK with me…I like it this way better (don’t tell my mother — she’ll be mortified).

Strawberry Shortcake Sundae – close-up

Again, this is a big ‘un, so plan to share so that you’re not too weighed down when you get back to the rides.

Root Beer Float

Our DFB editor Kim La Paglia is a HUGE fan of root beer floats in Disney World, and I’d never actually had one! Several spots serve root beer floats with soft serve ice cream in the Magic Kingdom, so while this isn’t unique among counter-service locations, it is still a great way to indulge and quench your thirst!

Again, sorry for the melty ice cream — it was pushing 100 degrees and we just couldn’t get the camera moving fast enough! ;-)

These snacks and over 70 others are highlighted in the Disney Food Blog Mini-Guide to Magic Kingdom Snacks! Get your copy at!

What are your favorite chilly snacks in the Magic Kingdom? We’d love to hear your thoughts!

1. Amanda says

I like the old name better but those pictures look DELICIOUS. Oh, and I like strawberry shortcake the non-authentic way better too :D

Those look great! Is soft-serve the only ice cream option there? I’m wondering if there’s a dairy-free option as well…

3. Catherine says

I am totally going to have to get that Strawberry Shortcake when I go next week !!! Looks awesome !!

4. Shannon says

This is always a must do for us. My husband loves the soft serve here. I love the Strawberry Shortcake here! I will forever call it Mrs. Potts though.

Yum Yum Yum is all I can say. Next week that brownie sundae is mine. Thanks for sharing the pictures even with the melty ice cream they look great! Do you know if snack points can be used for any of these?

6. Melissa says

I love when my husband gets the fudge brownie sundae because I can snag a few bites… it is HUGE! And the milkshakes are basically just melted softserve in a cup with a straw… so delicious! This is always our treat on “date night” (we bring the grandparents to watch the kids at night)- a couple of ice cream treats and people watching before Wishes!

7. Rachel says

Can you use snack credits for these? They look great – we are going in October and would love to try them, but I can never use all of our snack credits.

These treats are currently available for one snack credit each :) They’re one of the better deals on the dining plan because they’re expensive (over $4) out of pocket. Not sure how much longer they’ll stay on the dining plan, though (they may go the way of the homemade ice cream cookie sandwich soon), so head on over! :)

9. iheartbiscuits says

Hooray!! The fudge brownie sundae finally gets it’s moment in the spotlight! Thanks for the great article AJ.

I agree, it shall forever be known as Mrs. Potts to me as well. The brownie really looks delicious in the sundae. I like your idea of chocolate-covered strawberries take on the sundae though, and it sounds delicious. I’m not much of a fan of the other two due to the milk allergies, but they look delicious as well! :)

We always get a brownie and stawberry shortcake sundaes and hustle over to cosmic rays for a Sunny Eclipse performance.

Also the cookie sundae they have is also pretty amazing!

12. Jessica says

This place has always been a favorite of mine for the Milkshakes. I prefer the old name better. Mrs Pott’s deserves a little recognition. The hot fudge sundae does look yum might have to add it to the Too Eat list.

13. Kym says

What my mom and I do when we go to MK:

Order a Strawberry Shortacke Sundae.

Pop into Cosmic Ray’s.

Enjoy our treat as we chat about which thrill rides to hit next.

14. Elaine says

My sister and I will definitely stop here in December. Hot fudge for me and strawberry shortcake for her. I love it when we both get what we want at the same place! They both do look yummy :o)