Dining in Disneyland: The Chimichanga

I know you’ve seen people walking around Disney parks with giant turkey legs. BUT, did you know that at every stand that sells turkey legs in Disneyland also sells chimichangas?

Disneyland Chimichanga

Yep, crispy fried burritos filled with beef and beans. I myself had not eaten one until recently. Mainly because they look pretty disgusting.

However, I am almost embarrassed to say that they are sinfully delicious. Served up warm, the outer “shell” is crisp while the center is soft and flavorful. In the mixture, the beans and beef are almost blended together as one, which sounds crazy, but it’s true. You can see in the photo above it’s hard to distinguish…

Whole Chimichanga

The filling is not too spicy; in fact most stands offer packs of salsa so that you can “heat” it up if you’d like.

Filling Close Up

At $5.49 each, it’s actually not a bad price for something that will fill you up quickly. I couldn’t even finish a whole one, so you may want to consider it a snack for sharing.

$5.49 Each

Chimichangas are located at several spots throughout Disneyland and Disney California Adventure. If you see turkey legs, you’ll know you’re in the right spot. Friendly Cast Members are standing by, ready to happily serve them up!

Chimichanga Please!

We’d love to hear from some of you who have tried these treats — what do you think?

Have you tried a chimichanga at the Disneyland Resort?

Heather Sievers is the Disney Food Blog’s Dining in Disneyland columnist. See more of her columns here!

1. marcellina says:

oh man does that look good! I love chimichangas and haven’t had one in forever! Too bad they don’t serve these at Disney World….. is there someone I can email to make that happen? *drool*

2. Christal says:

I have seen them but never tried one, I too thought they just didnt look very good :/ but as soon as we get to Disneyland in July Im going to try one :)

3. Ninjomnia says:

I love the Chimis at Disneyland. Perfect with a bottle of Coca-Cola and the packets of hot sauce to enjoy a quick bite while waiting fr Soundsational on Main Street!

4. Heather Sievers says:

@Marcellina – They are an evil delicious! ; )

@Christal – Let us know what you think!

@Ninjomnia – Sounds perfect!

5. Anderson says:

I’m embarrassed to say I haven’t had one of these mainly because you can’t distinguish between the meat and beans so that seems a bit weird. I will try one on my next visit though.

6. Heather Sievers says:

@Anderson – That was always my fear too! Totally worth a try though! Let us know what you think.

7. Nate says:

Boy, I’m gonna have to disagree here.

I was really excited to try one of these. I sat down on a nice bench, ready for a leisurely snack, and took my first bite of chimichanga. I quickly, and unashamedly, tossed the rest of it in the garbage. It was greasy, salty, chewy – not in a good way – and ultimately it just tasted cheap and bad.

I think you if you want a fried snack, there are other options (e.g., corn dog, hot link corn dog, churros, etc.). If you want Mexican food, there are other options, also.

8. Heather Sievers says:

@Nate – Bummer, you had a bad experience! Mine was neither greasy, salty or chewy. Wonder if you just got one from a bad batch. I would’ve asked for a new one. I bet they would have traded it out for you.

9. Courtney says:

They have these at a local fast food place in the midwest called ‘Amigos’. They call them crisp meat burritos, and people are addicted to them!

10. Brandy says:

I hear the angels singing-you reviewed my precious!! My precious!! Seriously,it is almost the ONLY thing I eat when at DL. I tell myself everytime that I’m going to try something else but those darn things call my name as soon as I go through the gates! The fam heads to a ride and me and the baby hit up the cart by the hub for some chimi goodness! If you ever see a tall blond horking it down in line or crouched on rocks trying to hide behind strollers to hide my horking it down, that’s me! ; ) The mixture of the beefy/beaniness and the crunchy yet softish tortilla makes me sooo happy! Its almost like deep fried chili! I swear if they could put an all beef frank in there, it would be sooo good! Oooo and dipped in plastic cheese! The hot sauce packets are a MUST,before they got them I used to have to get a water cup from Rancho Del Zocalo and fill it with salsa from their condiment bar! Very hard to dip a massive chimi in a water cup! And the packet salsa has lil chunks of onions&peppers so it adds a whole other dimension to the goodness.
    I’ve had some that weren’t piping hot(seriously wait for a new batch if you can,it has to be HOT)and some that haven’t been crunchy and those weren’t the bliss they usually are but I still wouldn’t kick it to the curb!
    Darnit! Now I need one RIGHT NOW!! Darn you CHIMICHANGA!

11. Heather Sievers says:

@Courtney – We don’t have “Amigos” out here in California, it’s probably better that way! ; )

@Brandy – HAHA! Great comment! I will be on the look out for you and your horking! Also, salsa cup? GENIUS idea!

12. Madoka says:

Oh the chimichanga! @Heather – I am sooo glad you reviewed this little gem. I eyed them warily for a long time, fearing that they would taste like bad Taco Bell, but I finally tried one with a friend on our last DL visit, and I loved it! It is deep-fried meaty goodness that is sinfully yummy. Not authentic homemade Mexican yummy, but you-know-it’s-bad-for-you-junk-food-but-oh-just-one-more-bite-PLEASE yummy. :)

13. Heather Sievers says:

@Madoka – Totally a hidden “so bad, but oh so good” gem!

14. Yum. When are we getting these in Florida

15. Andy says:

Finally, an article on my beloved chimichangas! Everyone talks about the Dole whips, the churros, the ice cream Mickeys, etc., but THIS is the treat we go for every trip! I’m also glad they’ve added some permanent locations for these things–one year, I was searching the whole park to find these things!!

16. Emily says:

@marcellina – wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com :D

@Brandy – That review of yours made me want one even more! Excuse me, I mean that review of yours made me want to HORK ONE DOWN even more!!! lol

17. marcellina says:

lol.. thanks Emily! I just now saw your comment! Email is going to be sent right away! Chimichangas in WDW please!

18. Tracy says:

My husband and I had chimichanga’s last year and they were so yummy!!!! We are from New Mexico, green chile capital of the world, where Mexican food reigns king, and we loved these. No spice, but so yummy! We just booked a trip for August and I keep leaving Disney chimichanga photos for him to see…he gets sooo mad at me!! Hee hee!

19. Carol says:

We went in July and shared 3 of them for our family. They were sooo good! I really wanted to get another one before we left later that week but never did. Hope they still have them in a few years when we go back!!!!

20. Ashlynn says:

As someone who is constantly flocking Disneyland (I have a pass), I think the chimichangas are better than the turkey legs. Not only are they cheaper, but they fill you up and are super tasty. Whenever I go there, I always pick one up as a way to fight off hunger.

21. G Shea says:

Does anyone have the recipe for these chimichangas? PLEASE share if you do…thanks…

22. Kev O. says:

The DL chimichanga was a “must have” during every visit as a child! My mother would actually purchase several chimichangas for consumption the next day! Like pizza, the chimichangas were still delicious too!

23. G Shea says:

I see allot of recipes for Disney foods, but cannot find one foe these. ANY help would be great! Gerry

24. Heather says:

@G Shea – I’ve looked around and have never been able to find the recipe.