Extinct Disney Food: Remembering Beaver Tails at Epcot’s Canada Pavilion

Since we’re celebrating Epcot’s 30th Anniversary TODAY, let’s take a quick look at an old World Showcase favorite!

A while back we asked you what your favorite extinct Disney foods were, and many of you responded on the blog and on facebook mourning the Canada Beaver Tails!

Beaver Tail

Today, thanks to DFB reader Mike MacDonald, we have some great Beaver Tail pics and a fun backstory from the same company that used to sell them in Epcot!

And while photos don’t fill the void completely, at least we can reminisce…

Beaver Tail Close-Up from Ontario kiosk

Trapper Bob’s Beaver Tails kiosk was once located in Epcot’s Canada pavilion and was last spotted in 2004. The kiosk touted “A flat cooked whole wheat pastry, shaped like the tail of Canada’s favorite animal!”

You could have your Beaver Tail (basically fried dough) made with: cinnamon and sugar; chocolate hazelnut and sugar; maple and chocolate; strawberries and whipped cream; apples and cinnamon; and Killaloe sunrise (cinnamon sugar with freshly squeezed lemon juice). Check out Lost Epcot for some great pictures!

Mike MacDonald first heard about Beaver Tails right before a trip to Disney World in 2004, but was disappointed to find them gone already from the Canada pavilion. In 2006 he went camping in Tobermory, Ontario, (about 6.5 hours from home) and discovered a Beaver Tails counter service kiosk right in town! Score!

Beaver Tails Kiosk

It turns out it is part of a Montreal based chain of restaurants serving pastries since 1978. Since the logo looks the same and it was trademarked, I think we’ve found our Epcot Beaver Tails!

In fact, here’s a press article that mentions Beaver Tails in Disney.

So here’s to Epcot, EPCOT Center, and all of the Beaver Tail fans out there! I can’t wait to hear your memories of this awesome treat!

Do you remember the Beaver Tail? What other extinct Disney food would you like us to feature? Tell us in the comments below!

1. We have beaver tails here in Quebec City. They are quite popular with tourists.

2. Louise says:

Figaro fries! Even though I never had them, they sound wonderful!

3. Matt N says:

My wife is from Canada, and she was super happy when she saw beaver tails at the Canadian pavilion the first time she went there in 2002. Both of us were a little saddened when we went back a couple years later and saw it gone. Hope Epcot brings them back one day.

4. Lisa says:

The company has recently expanded and now they are available in smaller cities across Canada. My city just got one last year! Just google Beaver Tails to find the website and a list of cities they have locations in. :-)

5. Jason says:

There is (was?) a BeaverTails in Breckenridge CO. When I went there 2 years ago it was the first to open south of the border…

6. Alan says:

How can they no longer sell these at Epcot or for that matter anywhere in WDW? For someone like me who prefers muffins to iced cup cakes, these would be right up my alley. I don’t know how I missed these back in the day. It makes me wonder what else I missed.

7. Mary Jane says:

Recently had my first Beaver Tail at the Toronto Zoo this summer … Totally yummy! They should definitely bring them back to the Canada Pavillion … That and a Timmies would make my day :)

8. CanadiansLoveWDW says:

@ mary Jane… you wrote exacty what i was going to write.. i too had them at the toronto zoo last summer. and they would be awesome with a timmies…

9. Claire says:

Hey from down here in the Niagara region of Ontario! We have them at Niagara Falls!! Nice reason to come down for a little trip? You haven’t lived until you’ve seen the Falls encrusted with ice in the winter time….and a warm Beaver Tail in your hand…just sayin’

10. Mecandes says:

It’s still there in Tobermory, and they’ve just recently opened a BeaverTails in downtown Barrie, Ontario near the waterfront.

11. Wow! Thanks so much for featuring my story and photos! Thanks AJ :) And to everyone mentioning Timmies at The World–YES PLEASE!!

12. Lizzy says:

I love Beaver Tails! i never knew that Epcot once had them. I live in Jakarta, Indonesia, and we used to have of Beaver Tails kiosks in several different shopping malls here. But that was about 15 years ago! They stayed around about 3-4 years and the just disappeared… Which made me a very sad girl.

13. Chris R says:

I go to the one mentioned in that article in the Byward Market in Ottawa every time I am up visiting my in-laws, in fact I will be there this weekend while we are up for my sons christening. My understanding is they were removed from the world due to some nasty issues over the franchising rights and how much Disney was willing to pay vs. how much the beavertails corporation wanted, i remember reading an article on it somewhere. The only one still in the states seems to be the one in keystone colorado. I would also love to see Timmies in the Canadian pavillion.

14. Wendy Snelgrove says:

Beaver Tails originated in Ottawa, not Montreal. The first site was in the Byward Market (a district in Ottawa) and then expanded to the Rideau Canal Skateway (when the canal is frozen and we skate on it in late December through March).

I was sure this was correct but went to the company website to confirm.

15. Detronyx says:

I don’t quite understand why Canada doesn’t have a fry stand where you can grab poutine. And not that $10 fancy stuff at Le Cellier; I mean the real deal. Fries, cheese curds, and gravy!

16. Missy Sexton says:

Disney,
    BRING BEAVER TAILS BACK!!! Please!
    I’ve never tried them, but after checking out their website, they look amazing!
    Sincerely, Missy Sexton(WDW lover since 2007)