Reader Question: Is Dole Whip Vegan and Gluten Free?

For guests visiting Walt Disney World or Disneyland with a special diet, the popular Dole Whip treat is now just about the perfect snack! Dole Whip’s fruit flavors are now vegan! And Dole Whip has always been gluten free.

Dole Whip fruit flavors are now vegan!

At least, they are according to the official Dole Whip Mix website – Unified Enterprises Corporation. You can now enjoy any fruit flavor of Dole Whip on your vegan and/or gluten free diet!

Taken From Website of Unified Enterprises Corp

At Disney, you’ll find pineapple Dole Whips! There’s also an option for a Dole Whip Float, which adds pineapple juice to the mix. (The vanilla flavor that has been offered at some locations is not considered vegan at this time.)

Disneyland Dole Whip Float

Dole Whip Nutritional Information

• Vegan (no dairy)
  • Less than 90 calories in each 4 oz. serving
  • Trans Fat free
  • Cholesterol free
  • Gluten free
  • Lactose free
  • Kosher-dairy
  • No animal based ingredients

In Orlando, look for Dole Whips in the Magic Kingdom at Aloha Isle and at Pineapple Lanai in the Polynesian Village Resort. If you’re on the west coast, Disneyland serves up Dole Whips at the Tiki Juice Bar!

UPDATE: Dole Whip is no longer being served at Captain Cook’s, is no longer self-serve, and is no longer available 24 hours a day. You’ll now find Dole Whip at the Pineapple Lanai in Disney’s Polynesian Village in addition to Aloha Isle at the Magic Kingdom. You can also find Dole Whip available intermittently at Animal Kingdom’s Tamu Tamu Refreshments, and at Epcot during some special events. On the upside, you can also get a Dole Whip Float at Pineapple Lanai!

Source: Unified Enterprises. Note that because Unified Enterprises sells its mix to Disney, it can be assumed that Disney’s Dole Whip fits these criteria as well. As always, check with Disney chefs and managers during your vacation to make sure all items are safe for your consumption based on your particular diet.

What is your favorite flavor of Dole Whip? Do you make your order a float? Let us know in the comments below!

1. Hauntedmansion138 says

This made my day! Finally, as a vegan I can have my favorite treat again.

Heather: I think that’s probably best left unsaid. It’s probably one of those things where if you knew, you’d no longer be able to enjoy your favorite treat.

Jennie — Awesome!

Tracy — I was recently at a party where the host got the mix to use. The Dole Whip turned out great!

Hauntedmansion138 — Fantastic! Have a great next Disney trip!

Heather and Jeff — Hmm… the world may never know. ;-)

4. Chris says

I’m actually surprised Disney doesn’t have an exclusivity contract for this. What’s stopping Universal from buying these and selling them?

5. Charles B says

(Orange) Sugar, Dextrose, Coconut Oil, Stabilizers (Cellulose Gum,
    Xanthan Gum, Locust Bean Gum, Karaya Gum, Pectin), Citric Acid,
    Maltodextrin, Natural Flavor (contains Orange Juice), Modified Food Starch,
    Mono & Diglycerides, Artificial Color (Yellow 6), Less than 2% Silicon
    Dioxide (Anticaking).

(Pineapple) Sugar, Dextrose, Coconut Oil, Stabilizers (Cellulose Gum,
    Xanthan Gum, Locust Bean Gum, Karaya Gum, Pectin), Maltodextrin, Citric
    Acid, Natural & Artificial Flavor (contains Pineapple Juice), Modified Food
    Starch, Malic Acid, Beta Carotene (Color), Mono & Diglycerides, Less than
    2% Silicon Dioxide (Anticaking).

Rhonda — Dole Whip is not classified as ice cream. It is called a “non dairy frozen treat”.

7. Patrick says

So were they not vegan before? Or are they just labeling the mix as “vegan” now that they figured out that it is?

8. Lisa says

As a lactose intolerant person, I appreciate anything lactose free. There is so much cheesy dairy stuff in the world, dairy eaters please don’t complain. For us intolerants, sometimes a once in a while treat is great. We call it better living through chemistry.

This is great news for vegans and those with dairy allergies. At one point, Dole Whip contained Sodium Caseinate. Thanks for spreading the good news!

10. Lori P says

I think we had a Dole Whip almost every day we were at Disney World! My fave – the Pineapple Dole Whip with the pineapple juice!!

11. Grace says

Looks like bascially the same ingredients (more or less) as Cool Whip. :-)

No big deal to have once a year.

12. Keith says

Oh well….I was looking forward to having a citrus swirl on our next visit, but I guess I’ll need to find an alternative now.

13. Ali says

AJ – Any chance you’ll write a vegetarian/vegan ebook? I’m veggie. My sister isn’t, but she has a severe allergy to all milk products (inc whey and casein). Table service restaurants aren’t a problem because the chefs and cast members are so accommodating, but it would be great to have a handy guide to snacks and counter service…

14. Nicole says

What about the pineapple/vanilla swirl? I know the pineapple is lactose free but does the vanilla part have dairy in it?

15. Chris says

Dole Whip is unfortunately not Vegan at Disney World, due to cross contamination. They use the same buckets to mix all I their flavors, which means that there are traces of casein in the fruit flavors still.

Since Disneyland only sells Pineapple, this is not an issue there and it is Vegan as a result.

16. Hauntedmansion138 says

Chris don’t ruin it for me! Lol

I consider this a wedding gift to me. I am getting married Friday the 13th of September in th park and can’t wait to celebrate as a “toast” with this…seriously.

17. Sara says

Because I have a dairy allergy, I wrote to WDW Special Diets and asked them about Pineapple and Orange Dole Whip served at MK. I explained that the manufacturer says those flavors of Dole Whip are now dairy-free, and asked if the ones at MK are.

I was told that the MK Pineapple and Orange Dole Whip contains caesin. And reminded to always check ingredients at the actual restaurant.

I don’t know if they were using old ingredient info, old stock, or if there is a contamination issue as others above have noted, but that is what I was told. Needless to say, I was very disappointed, because I was looking forward to eating Dole Whip on an upcoming trip.

18. Ann says

I have read the ingredients for dole whip fruit flavors online, and they include “Sodium Casienate (a milk derivative)”. This would indicate that Dole Whip is NOT VEGAN after all. Have the ingredients changed? The statement above says “no animal based ingredients”. I’m confused.