News: Ghirardelli Discontinues Use of Peanut Products in Disneyland and Disney World

Fans of the Gold Rush Peanut Butter Sundae at Ghirardelli Ice Cream & Chocolate Shop in Downtown Disney Orlando (and fans of peanut butter in general — like me!), take note: Ghirardelli is no longer using peanut butter as an ingredient in any of their ice cream sundaes and chocolates, or as a choice for ice cream toppings.

Why the sudden change? Well, in actuality, it’s not so sudden.

You see, the Ghirardelli facilities began taking steps toward going peanut-free in 2013 in order to become more allergy-friendly for guests with allergy concerns. However, this didn’t affect the in-house sundaes, like the popular Gold Rush (vanilla ice cream, hot fudge, melted peanut butter, and whipped cream) until now, with their removal from the menus in Disney World over the recent weeks. (Please note this update: Disneyland guests can get the Gold Rush Sundae on the west coast — Cast Members there have confirmed that it is the only location where it is still available).

Ghirardelli in Downtown Disney, Orlando

Ghirardelli in Downtown Disney, Orlando

Gold Rush Peanut Butter Sundae

Gold Rush Peanut Butter Sundae

Guests who have allergies — as well as parents of those who have them — may find it helpful to know that, at this time, some products are still made with tree nuts, and

Cast Members can assist with further information.

While unconnected, this change corresponds with the roll out of the allergy-friendly menus at more than 100 restaurants in Disney World and Disneyland, in an attempt to make dining away from home less-stressful for those with food allergies and intolerances.

So while I’ll definitely miss my Gold Rush, I can understand. And for all you diehard peanut butter fans (have I mentioned myself?), don’t forget: there’s always the No Way Jose at Beaches & Cream and the All-American Sundae at the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor to keep us more than happy :).

What do you think of the discontinuation of peanut butter use at Ghirardelli? Please let us know with a comment!

Comments

1. Pam says

My allergies are not to foods, but certain medications. I know to avoid them. And while I like peanuts and peanut butter, it doesn’t have to be available to me at all times. I don’t begrudge people with allergies having places they can enjoy without worrying about allergens. But while you say you don’t “expect” anyone to cater to your or your child’s allergies, the truth is, yeah, you do. I recall when airlines had to discontinue their use of peanuts as a snack, because of that 1% of folks with allergies. And when schools across the nation started to ban peanut butter as an ingredient in snacks or lunches, because of that same 1%. Were they not pressured to do this by…someone? You, perhaps? Your child has an allergy, so every other parent has to find something else to feed their child? For many people, peanut butter is one of the least expensive and most palatable proteins their children will eat. Already in this thread, people have asked for gluten and/or dairy products to be removed from Disney and other places that serve the public. Maybe you will be successful, and restaurants and bakeries the world over will stop using all allergens. But then what will protect your child from being breathed on in passing, by someone who has just eaten peanuts or a strawberry or a shrimp? Will we all need to pass breath tests to be sure we are allergen-free, before we can walk down the street, go to the beach, anything? Maybe that sounds ridiculous to you, but then not long ago, so was the idea that children would have their lunch bags searched and discarded if they did not meet the approval of the food police.

2. Becky Klein says

In reply to Pam: Actually, it’s about 6% of the US population who have food allergies (not 1% as you stated), or over 19 million people. A person is unlikely to outgrow a peanut allergy (in other words, if you’re peanut allergic, it’s probably for life), but many children do outgrow dairy, wheat, egg, and other allergies. Peanut is also the most deadly allergy. I would guess that you have never experienced an anaphylactic reaction (whether observing or otherwise) because they are terrifying. The epi pens that allergic people use during a reaction don’t actually stop the reaction; all they do is buy you about 15 minutes in the hopes that you’ll be able to get to an emergency room for more extensive treatment (usually involving more epinephrine, benadryl, and steroids, at minimum). This is why peanuts are so dangerous on airplanes; a plane cannot simply land within 15 minutes to get someone emergency medical attention. (Also, most airlines do still serve peanut products.) I understand they are an inexpensive protein, but people can have it in their home, hotel room, their vehicle, etc, and no one is trying to outlaw peanuts entirely. If you’re talking publicly shared spaces, it’s not too much to ask that we reduce fatal risks if at all possible. Please don’t make light of peanut allergies. Thank you for your consideration.

3. Peggy says

I am actually not very happy about this. I am allergic to tree nuts so peanuts are the only nut I can have and the gold rush minus the almonds is my favorite sundae.. I guess Ghirardelli just lost my business because I go once a month for that sundae..

4. Cat says

For those who will miss the Gold Rush Sundae, you can do what I plan to do: pay for a sundae made with all of the other toppings and then bring in an individual packet(s) of peanut butter to put on the sundae myself… I’d even ask for a cup of hot or boiling water to hear up the packet while I’m waiting for my sundae to be made. Hope that helps; it may turn out to be a little bit cheaper, too!

5. Drea says

We couldn’t believe they discontinued the gold rush and all peanut butter products. We are all discontinuing our patronage. The Gold Rush was why we came. :(

6. Pam says

My husband and I have been going atleast twice a month to get their peanut butter sauce. Since they discontinued it we have not been back and have no plans to go.

7. Mom of nut allergic child says

I am optimistic and a little giddy to think that my daughter could enjoy her trip to Disney even more. Thank you Ghirardelli for considering there is potentially 19,000,000 more people who can enjoy your products!