We’re back with another delicious taste from the 2016 Epcot Flower and Garden Festival!
With all that’s happening this Spring at Disney, you may have forgotten that the Festival is still going strong! Yep — there’s still time to see all of the beautiful flowers and informative exhibits in person. But even better — you can still get out there and experience the Outdoor Kitchens!
One of our favorite desserts from this year’s Festival can be found at the Smokehouse in the American Adventure Pavilion.
The Warm Chocolate Cake with Bourbon Salted Caramel Sauce is everything you want it to be: warm Chocolate Cake, drizzled with a decadent Caramel Sauce that’s FULL of Whiskey. The crunchy Pecans add a punch of rich texture. It was so good that we featured it in our list of Best of the Fest Dishes. So I was so excited when I spied this recipe!
It sounds so good that I’ve talked myself into making this one tonight. You should, too! (This recipe makes a few tiny tweaks, but it sounds pretty fabulous overall.)
Buttermilk Chocolate Cake with Caramel Sauce and Spiced Pecans from Smokehouse
For Buttermilk Chocolate Cake
1/3 cup canola oil
1 large egg
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 1/4 cup cake flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Place oil, egg, sour cream and buttermilk in bowl of standing mixer equipped with whip attachment.
3. Add sugar, cocoa powder, flour and baking soda.
4. Start mixing on lowest speed for about 30 seconds, then to second speed for another 30 seconds, and finally to third speed, mixing for about 3 minutes.
5. Place 1/4 cup of batter in greased half-cup ramekin. Place ramekin on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining ramekins.
6. Bake for 13-15 minutes until tops of cakes have cracked. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.
For Whiskey Caramel Sauce
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon corn syrup
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 1/2 cups sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup Jack Daniels Whiskey
1. Combine sugar, corn syrup, water and lemon juice in stainless steel saucepan. Cover and cook over medium heat until mixture turns amber color, stirring occasionally.
2. Reduce heat to low and stir in condensed milk.
3. Add whiskey and mix until smooth. Keep warm until ready to serve, being careful not to burn sauce. Can also be prepared 1-2 days in advance and refrigerated. To serve, warm over low heat, adding splash of water to return to sauce consistency.
For Spiced Pecans
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 cups pecans, broken into small pieces
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Melt butter in small saucepan over low heat.
3. Add brown sugar and cayenne pepper, stirring well.
4. Once brown sugar thickens, add pecans and stir.
5. Remove from heat and spread pecans on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 8 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack. Set aside until ready to serve. Spiced pecans can also be stored in airtight container for 3-4 days before serving.
1. Unmold cakes from ramekins and place on dessert plates.
2. Drizzle caramel sauce over and around each cake. Top with spiced nuts.
Will you be making Warm Chocolate Cake with Bourbon Salted Caramel Sauce from the Smokehouse soon? Leave a comment and let me know!
Recipe Courtesy Disney Parks Blog