We’re featuring one of our favorite Disneyland snacks today. But we aren’t just gonna tell you about how awesome it is; we’re giving you the recipe, too!
If you haven’t had the pleasure of dining at Disneyland’s Hungry Bear Restaurant, I suggest you remedy that the very next time you can!
And once you finish up a hearty lunch or dinner at this rustic spot with a view, be sure to save room for dessert.
We love their individual pies…
But we can never pass up their Lemon Bumblebee Cupcake!
So we were pretty excited to find this recipe — what’s not to love when there’s lemon curd involved?!? The perfect treat for the first weekend of 2015, no?
Lemon Bumblebee Cupcakes
Makes 16 Lemon Bumblebee Cupcakes (plus 8 extra plain cupcakes)
1 box lemon cake mix
1 teaspoon powdered gelatin
1 tablespoon cold water
3/4 cup lemon juice
3/4 cup sugar, divided
3 large eggs
3 large egg yolks
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
Honey Lemon Frosting:
3/4 cup lemon curd
1 teaspoon honey
1 cup heavy cream
1. Prepare cake mix cupcakes according to package directions, filling muffing cups 3/4 full with batter.
2. Remove 8 cupcakes and set aside for another use. Set 16 cupcakes aside to cool completely.
For Lemon Curd:
1. Sprinkle gelatin over cold water in a small bowl; set aside.
2. Combine lemon juice and 1/2 cup of sugar in a small saucepan over medium-low heat; bring to a simmer.
3. Whisk together remaining 1/4 cup sugar, eggs, and egg yolks in a medium bowl.
4. Pour one quarter of simmering lemon-sugar mixture into egg mixture, whisking so that eggs do not cook. Pour contents of bowl back into pan with remaining lemon mixture. Continue cooking, stirring constantly for 2 minutes, until mixture thickens.
5. Remove from heat and add gelatin and butter, whisking well.
6. Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl.
7. Place 3/4 cup lemon curd in a separate bowl to make frosting. Reserve the rest to use as cake filling.*
For Honey Lemon Frosting:
1. Stir honey into bowl of lemon curd reserved for frosting.
2. Beat heavy cream on high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in honey lemon curd. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
1. Scoop out a small portion from the center of each cupcake using a teaspoon.
2. Place leftover lemon curd in a large plastic zip-top bag and cut a small hole in the end. Pipe approximately 2 teaspoons lemon curd into center of each cupcake.
3. Place honey lemon frosting in a separate plastic zip-top bag and cut a medium-size hole in the end. Pipe frosting onto each cupcake.
4. Garnish with candy bees and edible glitter.**
That’s all there is to it! Yay!
We are so excited about this one, because this cupcake is crazy cute…and anything that involves lemon curd gets high marks in the DFB snack book!
Will you be making these delicious Lemon Bumblebee Cupcakes in the near future? Tell us all about it in comments below!
*This step does not appear in Disney’s original recipe. However, our crafty bakers here at DFB realized it was missing and added it.
**As for the Chocolate Bumblebees, we suggest that you check out Pinterest or Google for lots of ideas on making the cute critters yourself. 🙂
Recipe Courtesy Disney Parks Blog