We REALLY love Chef Art Smith’s Homecoming in Disney Springs with all that great Southern hospitality and yummy food.
Even when you’re not there, you can still make one of their home-cooked meals (like this fried chicken) that are so good, your tastebuds will thank you for it!!
In honor of his late mother, Chef Art Smith is sharing his family recipe with us for Chicken and Dumplings (and it sounds delicious)! Art says that “Every time I make this, it just says love to me. So, I hope it brings love to your family!” Well, if that doesn’t sound like a special dish, then we don’t know what is! So, let’s get cooking!!
- 3 cups of chicken, cooked and shredded
- 4 quarts of low salt chicken broth
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 tablespoons of cold salted butter, cubed
- 1 cup of milk
1. Cook a rotisserie chicken from the market or buy a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken. Remove from the bone and shred.
2. Make your soup with 4 quarts of low salt chicken broth in a Dutch Oven. Add onions, carrots, and celery before letting it simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Let the vegetables steep in the broth, then scoop them out and set them aside.
4. In a bowl, add flour, salt, and baking powder before whisking together.
5. Blend butter into the mixture and then drizzle with cold milk.
6. Make a soft ball. Allow it to rest.
7. Cut the dough ball into four pieces. With a rolling pin, roll out the dough with flour until 1/4 inch thick.
8. Cut into strips and place them on paper.
9. Place the dumpling dough strips in the boiling broth. Layer them on top of one another over the entirety of the broth. Shake oven, do not stir.
10. Make slurry with 2 tablespoons of flour and 4 tablespoons of water. Mix it together and drizzle over the layered dumplings. Shake the over for a bit until the mixture is blended.
11. Cook for 10 minutes. Add chicken, dried parsley, and pepper. Shake until mixed.
12. Serve it up!!
Watch Art Smith make his mother’s dumpling soup and tell a few stories about his childhood here! Our kitchen is about to smell AH-MAZING, you guys!!
Join the DFB Newsletter to get all the breaking news right in your inbox! Click here to Subscribe!
Have you made Chicken and Dumpling Soup before? Let us know in the comments below!