Disney Recipe: Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake at Liberty Tree Tavern

Sometimes I find a dessert in Disney World that takes my breath away (‘Ohana Bread Pudding, I’m looking at YOU!). And I’ll be honest with you — I really didn’t expect it to be this one!

When I first saw the Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake on the lunch menu at Liberty Tree Tavern several years ago, I ordered something else thinking I didn’t really want “cake.”

Man-oh-man did I learn my lesson on the next visit, when I ordered it only because it was the dessert I hadn’t had before. (I know! I can’t believe it, either!)

For those who haven’t tried it, this isn’t “cake.” It’s more like a crispy-on-the-outside, gooey-on-the-inside toffee chocolate chip cookie-ish sort of thing.

Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake at Liberty Tree Tavern in Magic Kingdom

Rich, buttery flavor is complimented by the bittersweet chocolate chips. Ice cream tops the whole thing off, and the dessert is drizzled in chocolate and toffee. Basically? It’s one of the best desserts on Disney property…hands down. And here’s how you make it…

Liberty Tree Tavern Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake Recipe

Cake Bottom

Serves: 5-6
Prep Time: 10 min
Total Time: 10 min

1 box yellow cake mix
1 large egg
1 stick butter (softened)

1. Mix ingredients.
2. Spread mixture evenly in greased baking pan.

Cake Top

Serves: 5-6
Prep Time: 15 min
Total Time: 50 min

8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/4 cup butter
1 pound powdered sugar (sifted)
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1 cup Heath Bar pieces

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Mix cream cheese until smooth.
3. Slowly add eggs and vanilla.
4. Add butter and mix well.
5. Add powdered sugar, slowly.
6. Add chocolate chips and toffee pieces.
7. Mix until ingredients are all just incorporated evenly — do not overmix!
8. Put on top of Cake Bottom ingredients in pan. (Usually a large muffin pan can work well for this.)
9. Bake for 35 minutes. Inside should just be slightly gooey, but not liquid.

1. Aubrey says

Yum!!! Maybe this will be the new dessert at out Thanksgiving meal this year! What size baking dish? A standard 9×13 or a smaller?

2. Barb H says

This is actually a Paula Deen inspired dessert. If you have seen her show on Food Network this is one of her go to desserts – especially the butter! I am sure that it is delish!

Aubrey — Great question, and great idea! I would probably use a large muffin pan for these, actually!

Colette — It’s awesome!!

Drew — Really?! You’re so crafty!

Barb H — Cool!

4. Hannah F says

Yum! That looks so good, I wish I has that right now! Did you make that, Or order it at a Restraunt?

5. AundreaSmith says

Yummy! After seeing that I’ve decided to make a reservation there for lunch! Will be there 12/2!!

6. CraigInPA says

If you make these in a large (called “Texas” around here) muffin pan, how many does this make?

7. Eric says

What do you top it with? From the picture I see vanilla ice cream and toffee pieces, is there also caramel sauce or something else?

8. Sue says

we’ve had these at Liberty Tree Tavern…..oh so yummy! I tried to get the recipe back then but couldn’t! Very excited about this recipe, but you forgot to say what size pan to bake this in! Looking forward to making this at home!

9. nana says

Actually this recipe has been around long before Paula Deen had a show & food netWork existed.
    I found the recipe in ba cookbook put together by a “ladies ‘ auxillary I was in back in 1976.
    It is fun to vary cake flavor & what you add to the topping. My D’D makes a pumpkin version
    at Thanksgiving. This possibilities are endless. I like the idea of making individual
    Cakes. Everything old is new again!

10. Jen says

This is almost exactly the same recipe as a Gooey Butter cake which is a famous St. Louis dessert! If you leave out the toffee and chocolate chips in the top layer, it’s a Gooey Butter. I can’t wait to make this version.

11. Logan says

haha…you know it’s an American recipe when it starts with “1 box of yellow cake mix”.

12. Laura says

Looks yummy! I would love to try this recipe, but I am confused about what pan to use. Would a 9 by 13 pan work? I have no idea what a large muffin pan is.
    Thanks! can’t wait to try this!

13. Amy says

For those of you asking about a “Muffin Pan” – you may also know it as a cupcake pan. It is a pan that has 6 or 12 cups in it, that you would put liners in to make individual-sized muffins or cupcakes. (It kind of looks like a big metal ice-cube tray?) Here is a link to what it looks like, at Amazon:
    Using the muffin pan is what gives you the individual round cakes, like what are served at Liberty Tree Tavern.
    Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to get some ingredients to make this myself :)

14. Tink Baker says

We have made this recipe about a dozen times now. It works best in Muffin Top Pans greased well and a mini rubber spatula to remove. It’s not quite as good in a baking pan. Also, unless Liberty Tree has brought it back recently, they no longer serve it

15. Jon says

They still serve this for lunch as I just had it last week. I don’t think it is offered for dinner though.

16. Carol says

I had this with my lunch at Linerty Tree a couple of weeks ago. I ended up sharing it with my whole family. (who all ordered something else)
    Trying this recipe tonight.

17. Joanne says

So I’ve made this before and it is amazing. But it’s been a while. Do you put in the cake mix dry or do you add the other ingredients that the box calls for?