Disney Recipe from the Vault: Cinnamon Rolls from Main Street Bakery in Magic Kingdom

Ahhhhh. cinnamon rolls. How I love thee. You are the undisputed Breakfast of Champions. And the best of the lot, in my opinion, were the ones available at Pre-Starbucks Main Street Bakery in the old days.

Now, I’m not jumping on Starbucks. I know that lots and lots and lots of you are super happy the Siren has moved into Main Street Bakery. But…well…I mean, just look at this.

Main Street Bakery Cinnamon Roll with Extra Icing!

Main Street Bakery Cinnamon Roll with Extra Icing!

And I know that the cinnamon rolls at Gaston’s Tavern in New Fantasyland are supposed to be the same. Well. Okay. Whatever you say, Disney.

But whatever the reason, these are still my favorite. And I do wish you could still get them — and all those scoops of extra icing! Yum! Well, no matter. Because we have the recipe! And knowledge is power.

Main Street Bakery cinnamon roll cross-section!

Main Street Bakery cinnamon roll cross-section!

So I can make them anytime I’d like. And now, so can you. :-)

Cinnamon Rolls

1 teaspoon salt
8 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 cups brown sugar
2 tablespoons cinnamon

Cream Cheese Frosting
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened (room temperature)
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk

Cinnamon Rolls
1. In small bowl, combine water, yeast, and sugar.
2. Stir until dissolved and set aside.
3. In large bowl, mix pudding according to package instructions with milk.
4. Add 1/2 cup melted butter, egg, and salt. Mix well, then add yeast mixture and blend well.
5. Gradually add flour and knead until smooth.
6. Place in a very large greased bowl.
7. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size.
8. Punch down and let rise again for second time.
9. Roll dough on a very large floured surface.
10. Dough should roll out to a long rectangle, about 34 x 21 inches in size.
11. Take the 1 cup of melted butter and use a pastry brush to spread over entire dough surface.
12. In small bowl, mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon.
13. Sprinkle over top of buttered dough. Roll dough up like a jelly roll.
14. Measure dough every 2 inches and cut with a knife.
15. Take each roll into the palm of your hand and gently pack the roll (this keeps it from coming apart during baking).
16. Place each roll in a buttered baking pan and allow to rise in a warm place for about 20 minutes.
17. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven until golden brown in color, about 15-20 minutes.
18. Frost rolls while still warm.

Cream Cheese Frosting
1. In mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and mix until smooth.
2. Spread on the very warm rolls.

And that’s all there is to it!

Okay. So they’re little involved. But I’m already dreaming of how good they’ll taste. So I’m pretty sure my efforts will be well rewarded.

C’mon! Take the plunge with me and make some Main Street Bakery Cinnamon Rolls. You know you wanna.

Leave a comment below and let us know when you’ll be making these!

Recipe Courtesy of Magical Recipes

1. Essie says

Oh, this sounds heavenly. What type and size of a baking pan do you use, Brooke? How many people is this recipe supposed to be for? I remember the Cinnamon Rolls from the MSB to be half of a loaf. These in your recipe look like they are all individual rolls and would therefore be one per person? I’m just asking very specific questions, because I’d really like to try and make these. The one I had during our 2012 holiday trip was just so wonderful that I’m still upset that I can’t go to Main St. and get one anymore. However, if I can make them at home, that would be the best. Thanks so much!

2. Brooke says

Essie — I’m dying to try this one for the first time too! I have made similar recipes, but it will be my first time baking the MSB cinnamon rolls. The recipe makes approximately 16-18 rolls if you cut them every two inches or so, but they are huge, just like the ones at MSB…so how many people each roll serves is probably a matter of opinion. :-) You could use a half sheet pan (12×18 inches), but you may need more than one pan. When preparing them for the final rise and bake, you’ll need to leave a little space between them since they’ll plump up some from the rise and the baking. This will probably be an upcoming weekend baking project for me, so I’ll post my results, and you do the same if you beat me to it! I can’t wait to hear back!

3. Emily says

WOW this looks so good! Will definitely be trying!! Especially since there’s no nuts or raisins. For me, I just want lots and lots of cinnamon and sugar in the cinnamon roll, which mainly exists as a vehicle for the icing anyway :P

4. Agnes says

Thanks for the recipe! Although why bother with the cinnamon roll nonsense when one can just eat lots and lots of sugary icing? So happy.

5. Essie says

Thanks for the info, Brooke. As for hearing back, you wont. I am going through some major changes and will have no internet service for quite a while after this Friday. I will miss my DFB TERRIBLY :( , but until I can get established and get a new system set up, I will be out of circulation for a while. When I get back on line, this will be my first stop! Thank you everyone at the DFB for all of the enjoyment you have provided over the years.

6. Jennie says

Wait, the Main Street Bakery icing wasn’t cream cheese. It might be an ingredient, but the above picture is not cream cheese icing….anyone want to set me straight?

7. Sandy says

Thank you for this recipe! The Cinnamon Rolls at Gaston’s Tavern are NOT the same … dried out and a huge disappointment. Ended up throwing it away …

8. Angelina says

Any idea if you could make this dough in a bread machine? I might try that and let everyone know how it works out. Who has time to watch that dough??? LOL

9. Momof4 says

I was looking for Disney info when I ran across this recipe. I made these 2 days ago. They are DELICIOUS!!! I froze some and am planning on making another batch in the next few weeks. Also will be trying one at Disney World!!

10. Heather says

Made these Disney Cinnamon Rolls the past weekend… YUMMY!! I have made a few other Cinnamon Roll recipes & this recipe has to be the least involved with the best outcome. I really liked that the consistency is a little more bready, so it’s a lot easier to work with than some of the other “doughier” recipes. I can’t wait to make these again… so delicious!

11. betsey says

I really need to try these for those that have what size pan did you use will two 13×9 pans work? also when freezing do you freeze them unfrosted?

12. Penny says

Thank you for this recipe. I’ve never had the rolls at WDW, but these are the tastiest cinnamon buns I’ve ever made. I baked the 18 rolls in two batches, and the entire process took about 3.5 hours. I used 9 inch round cake pans, placing either 4 or 5 rolls in a pan. Four rolls worked better–they grew to fit the pan. I put half of the rolls in the freezer, one frosted. Next week I’ll pull them out and see how they fared.

13. Penny says

Both the frosted and unfrosted cinnamon buns that had been frozen tasted great when thawed. I made them again today and baked 3 in each cake pan, and they grew even bigger.

14. Emma says

Hi, I am from the UK and would LOVE to make theese however I cannot get instant pudding here does anyone know what i could use as a substitue? im guessing its not just about flavour and it will change the texture?

15. Jocelyn says

Thank you soo soo much this is the bestest recipe ever in the entire world I could never thank you enough <3 My aunt and I had soo much fun baking these for my grandma thank you for the memories <3

16. Jennifer says

Made just as you stated and they were THEE BEST Cinnamon Rolls our family has EVER had. HANDS DOWN! My husband is not a sweets person, but wanted to try one since I put so much effort into them (it really wasn’t that bad at all! I love to bake and this was fun!) and he couldn’t say enough about them. WOW was the word I think we all said on the first bite. We have a Disney Cruise booked, but it’s still kind of far off yet. Looking to keep the excitement alive until then; I look for fun Disney things to do on the significant “XX amount of days left” until the vacation to pass the time in a fun way. We just passed under 300 days left. (yeah I know, we have quite a bit to go yet, but it’s fun Disney things like this that can pass the time) Thanks for posting!

Um… yes, yes, a thousand times YES!

I am a teacher and get summers off. I had a particularly hard time last year, so I decided, instead of working summer school this year, I would use my summer to broaden my horizons in the kitchen and cook new things all summer. About 3 weeks ago, my husband was complaining about me sleeping in and jokingly said “You haven’t even woken up and made me breakfast once this summer” (I never make him breakfast period).

So I decided to surprise him with cinnamon rolls, and not just any cinnamon rolls… Mainstreet Bakery cinnamon rolls. I was going to fill my Disney hating husband up with sugary goodness that even he couldn’t deny…I hoped.

I decided I would prepare them that night and bake them in the morning. I am a pretty good cook, so I thought I could make the correct adaptations to do so. WRONG. When I baked them in the morning they came out pretty flat because they had deflated over night. Once I threw the cream cheese icing on them you couldn’t even tell! Even though the tops were flat, they were still AMAZINGLY delicious!

The look on my husbands face was priceless not only when he saw them, but when he bit into one! Because we didn’t need a whole tray of them for two people, I sent them along with him to work. An hour into the morning I started getting text after text with compliments, and people asking when I would make them again.

I have now made them twice. Here are some tips I have:
    -The first time I made them I experimented with a Pyrex baking dish and a cast iron skillet (I am a sucker for the cast iron because it is just convenient). Never make them in a cast iron skillet! They get an iron-y taste that is just bad. I had only had one from the skillet that morning, and thought the recipe was a dud. Then when my husband brought home the left overs in the Pyrex (There aren’t enough people in his office to finish off a tray) I tried that one and was BLOWN AWAY! I highly recommend a pyrex dish.
    -The second time I made them, I split the cinnamon rolls between two 7inx11in pyrex baking dishes. I baked them completely through covered them with the frosting, ate one dish and froze the other.
    -If you use home made vanilla (super easy and cheap to do) your recipe will be even more amazing! Especially the frosting. I split the frosting on the second time and tried it with store bought and my homemade vanilla. My homemade vanilla won hands down.
    -Don’t let the dough sit over night. If you want to make it a head of time, bake it through. Then warm it up in the oven in the morning and put your icing on then.

Abby — Thank you THANK YOU for all of the wonderful feedback! This is so helpful to other readers, and I can’t wait to try your tricks myself! :-D

19. Grace says

To me the Gaston Tavern rolls were no different than a Dolly Madison cinnamon bun from a convenience store, Being comically large doesn’t make it better.