Ready for another fun project? Haha! I thought you might be!
Who doesn’t catch themselves daydreaming about their favorite Disney snacks? And one salty treat that you write to me about over and over are those amazing Soft Pretzels that you can get in the Germany Pavilion in Epcot!
These are the real deal — warm, salty, chewy, and perfect with a little mustard and a lot of beer!
Well, if you’ve ever wanted to try your hand at making them at home, now’s your chance!
I have a feeling that I know what I’ll be doing this weekend…
Authentic German Soft Pretzels
Epcot’s Germany Pavilion
Yield: 10 pretzels
1 package active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons water
prepared mustard (optional)
1. Stir and dissolve yeast in warm water in a large mixing bowl.
2. Stir in salt, sugar, and 2 cups of flour.
3. Beat until smooth.
4. Stir in enough of the remaining flour to make dough easy to handle.
5. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface.
6. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
7. Cut dough into 3 oz pieces and roll into a ball.
8. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.
9. Roll out dough into strings and then twist dough pieces in the middle.
10. Pick up the dough string with two hands each hand holding one end.
11. Attach the ends to the dough in a pretzel shape.
12. Place pretzel on a baking sheet and allow to proof until pretzels doubles in thickness.
13. Whisk the eggs with water.
14. Brush egg wash on top of pretzel after they have proofed.
15. Sprinkle with coarse salt.
16. Put on to baking sheets and bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown.
17. Dip in prepared mustard if desired.
And that’s all there is to it! Enjoy!
Want Even More Epcot Snack Details?
Let’s face it: snacks are a big deal during your Disney vacation. And we’ve got all the info you need to get the biggest bang for your buck! The DFB Guide to Epcot Snacks e-Book, 2014 Edition helps you to make the most out of your trip.
Our fully guaranteed, convenient e-Book format is available for instant download and use on any mobile device, so you’ll be able to enjoy it immediately!
Inside the DFB Guide to Epcot Snacks e-Book you’ll find full-color photos and reviews of over 250 of our favorite Epcot snacks, pricing and dining plan info, bonus items, and more!
And for a limited time only, we’re thanking you for supporting this blog by offering the Guide for a $3 discount! To secure the discount, use code Epcot2014 at check-out.
And all of our DFB Guides come with a 100% money back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose!
Are you tempted to try your hand at making homemade soft pretzels? Leave a comment and let us know!
Note: This recipe originally appeared in the Orlando Sentinel