Here’s the next post in our series based on the Food Network’s (very cool) show, The Best Thing I Ever Ate. As many of you know, due to some keen suggestions from readers we’re splitting our series up into different sections: breakfast, appetizers & side dishes, snacks & drinks, entrees (lunch & dinner), and desserts.
Today, we’re taking a look at entrees! I’ve done my favorite brand of informal polling (i.e. posted questions on twitter and facebook 😉 ) to find out others’ experiences of the “Best Thing They Ever Ate” in Disney parks and resorts.
The following are the answers received from our readers about their favorite main courses and entrees! If your favorites aren’t here, please add them in the comments section below!
It’s no secret that Disney World does steak well. You’ve seen my votes for Five Best Steaks in Disney World, and a lot of these made the list in our poll as well! Here are the top contenders according to our facebook and twitter readers:
- BBQ Filet Mignon: This steak, recently pulled from the menu, was the restaurant’s signature filet served with cream cheese mashed potatoes and doused in barbecue sauce.
- Filet Mignon with Mushroom Risotto: The current incarnation of the filet is this version. Situated on a bed of delicious mushroom risotto and covered in a white truffle-herb butter sauce.
- Prime Rib: Currently served salt-crusted with Yukon potatoes and horseradish cream sauce, this is definitely a favorite.
- Mushroom-Stuffed Filet: Not to be confused with the mushroom risotto filet, this stuffed version is long-past and no longer on the menu. But it was mentioned a few times, so it gets a spot on the list!
The Oak-Grilled Filet Mignon from California Grill was mentioned several times! This dish is served differently every time I order it, because Cali Grill strives to serve market-fresh produce. You never know what veggies you’re going to get!
While these steaks were only mentioned a few times, they still deserve a spot in the list!
- Oak-Grilled Steak at Spoodles: While it was clearly a favorite of many, Spoodles was replaced last year by Kouzzina by Cat Cora, a restaurant with more Greek influences, but that still incorporates the classic Mediterranean feel of Spoodles.
- Filet Mignon at Yachtsman Steakhouse: If you know me at all, you know I’ll eat just about anything Yachtsman Steakhouse puts in front of me. The filet is delicious.
- Filet with Macaroni and Cheese and Red Wine Sauce at Jiko: Another favorite. This dish is rich upon rich.
- Maple-Glazed Rib Eye at Kona Cafe: Kona has worked its way up into the upper-echelons of steaks in WDW!
We had a nice variety of seafood dishes mentioned on the poll! A couple are classics, but I’ll bet you’ve never even heard of the others. Flying Fish Cafe was the clear winner in this category.
- Narragansett Bay Rhode Island “Rhody Royal” Mussels at Flying Fish Cafe: While technically an appetizer, these can be ordered as a meal. Served with Fennel, Chiles, Pesto Crema, and Grilled Sourdough, you’ll almost be able to hear the ocean.
- Mogador Fish Tagine at Restaurant Marrakesh: This marinated fish dish with olives, lemon, potatoes, green peppers, and chermula sauce will truly introduce you to Moroccan dining. Not sure what a tagine is? Check out this tagine post!
- “Potato-Wrapped” Red Snapper at Flying Fish Cafe: This signature dish served with Leek Fondue, Veal Glace, Red Wine and Cassis Butter is a classic at Flying Fish Cafe. Highly recommended!
- Pan-Seared King Salmon Cakes at Liberty Tree Tavern: This relatively new dish is served with Mixed Greens in a Sherry Vinaigrette. This isn’t the first time I’ve heard folks sing its praises!
Ah yes, the white meat! Here are a few of our readers’ favorites in this category:
- Thanksgiving Dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern: For those who crave Thanksgiving Dinner year-round, this is a great spot to get your fix. Book a dinner meal at Liberty Tree Tavern and get all-you-can-eat Thanksgiving!
- Turkey Legs: Found throughout Walt Disney World, turkey legs are huge — in both physical size and cult following!
- Rotisserie Chicken at Wolfgang Puck Express: This has always been one of my favorite counter service entrees in Disney World. I don’t know how they do it so well, but this is one delicious chicken.
Finally, here are a few of the dishes that didn’t fit into one of our three categories above. (Unfortunately, we didn’t have enough veggie dishes to create a category.) I’m loving the creativity!
- Bobotie at Boma: Bobotie is a South African dish made from minced meat and baked with an egg-based “crust” on top. Click here to learn more about Bobotie and other African dishes at Boma.
- Lamb at Restaurant Marrakesh: A staple in Moroccan cooking, this lamb entree is served, of course, with rice.
- Pork Tenderloin at Hollywood Brown Derby: Served with white cheddar mustard spaetzle, swiss chard, onion relish, and cider jus, this dish is absolutely outstanding. I can almost taste it now.
- Pot Roast at 50s Prime Time Cafe: This is the quintessential classic, but delicious dish. If you loved your Mom’s pot roast as a kid, this will bring the memories back.
- Alligator Sausage at Coral Reef: OK, I’ve never had this, and I don’t know that I ever will, but it’s a pretty cool mention. I’ll admit, this only got one vote, but it was too interesting to take off the list!
Now, this is by no means an exhaustive list of the delicious entrees and main courses available in Disney restaurants and counter-service spots — it’s just a snap-shot list from a few of our readers! If you didn’t get a chance to chime in with your favorite, please add to the list in our comments section below! Have you had a not-to-be-missed entree in Disney? Let us know your “Best Thing I Ever Ate in Disney!”
And stay tuned next time for the continuation of the series with the “The Best Thing I Ever Ate in Disney!”: Desserts!
For other posts in this series, check out these links:
The Five Best Things I Ate in Disneyland
The Best Thing I Ever Ate at Disney!: Breakfast
The Best Thing I Ever Ate at Disney!: Appetizers and Side Dishes
The Best Thing I Ever Ate at Disney!: Snacks & Drinks