Many people (like us) will tell you that eating delicious food is one of the best parts of Disney World, and with so many restaurants to visit, you might not have gotten the chance to try it all! Or maybe you are just feeling a little nostalgic and wanting to cook up a Disney-inspired recipe at home!
Well, we’ve got you covered! Disney is helping us make a dish straight from a popular Disney World restaurant, right in our own kitchens, with a recipe from Sanaa in honor of the Cooking with Soul campaign for Black History Month. Check it out!
Sanaa is an African and Indian-style restaurant that boasts exotic flavors and popular dishes such as the famous Indian-Style Bread Service. YUUUUM.
Today, we are sharing Chef Sahib’s recipe for Sukuma Wiki, which is a popular East African dish prepared with onions, garlic, spices, and sukuma, also known as collard greens. This dish is typically served with fresh fish on a bed of fresh yellow rice as a dish at Sanaa.
Fun fact: did you know that Sukuma Wiki translates from Swahili to “stretch the week”? You learn something new every day!
Now let’s make Sukuma Wiki!
Note that this recipe serves 4-6
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 pound collard greens, washed and chopped
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, plus more, to taste
- Heat canola oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat for 5 minutes, until hot. Add onions and saute for 5-8 minutes, until soft and translucent. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add cumin, coriander, and turmeric, and stir for 30 seconds, until very fragrant.
- Slowly add collard greens, making sure all the greens are coated in oil and spices. Cook for 2 minutes, until greens begin to wilt. Stir in tomatoes and vegetable stock. Bring stock to a simmer, cover, and cook over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper, and season with more, to taste.
You can also use the recipe by clicking on the photo below:
Happy cooking! Follow DFB for more Disney food news and recipes!
Join the DFB Newsletter to get all the breaking news right in your inbox! Click here to Subscribe!
Did you try this recipe at home? Let us know in the comments!