I have a super special treat for you today!
I know I’m not the only person in love with the Macaroni and Cheese at Jiko, right? This signature restaurant at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge — and this dish in particular! — regularly tops my list when I’m visiting Disney World.
While the filet is a mainstay on their menu, the side dishes that it’s paired with tend to change up regularly. But Jiko created a legend with the filet and cheesy goodness combo; it had legions of fans! So normally, even if the mac and cheese isn’t on the menu, you can request it.
And now you can make it at home too!
Jiko’s Macaroni and Cheese
Jiko — The Cooking Place, Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge
Serves 4 to 6
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups whole milk
8 ounces shredded Italian four-cheese blend (such as mozzarella, asiago, fontina and provolone)
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 pound elbow macaroni, cooked and kept warm
1. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour, stirring until combined. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes, or until golden (do not let brown).
2. Add milk to butter mixture, whisking until completely smooth and no lumps remain.
3. Simmer mixture, stirring frequently, until sauce coats the back of a spoon, 5 to 8 minutes.
4. Add cheese to saucepan in batches, stirring until completely melted. Add salt and pepper, stirring to combine.
5. Place cooked macaroni in a large bowl. Add cheese sauce, stirring to combine. Serve immediately.
Pretty simple, huh? And now I’m off to the pantry and the fridge to see if I have everything on hand to whip up a batch of this tonight!!
Will you be whipping up a side of Jiko’s Mac and Cheese for your dinner table tonight? Leave a comment and tell us all about it!
Recipe Credit: Orlando Sentinel