There’s nothing like curling up with a warm blanket, a Disney movie, and a nice bowl of soup.
And, although we’ve been giving you LOTS of Disney recipes to make at home, this next one might become your family’s new go-to dish!!
We’re HUGE cheese fans (cheese pulls, plastic cheese, any kind at all), and Le Cellier Steakhouse is a GREAT place to stop by if you’re on the hunt for cheesy goodness. The Canada Pavilion’s restaurant is home to the signature Cheddar Cheese Soup that makes cheese fans melt with happiness. And, guess what, friends?? You can make your own version without even leaving your home!! This version is similar to one we’ve shared here on DFB, but this new recipe features more bacon and more cheese. Need we say more?
- 1/2 pound of bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups milk
- 1 pound white cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Coarse salt, freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup warm Canadian golden lager or any pale lager-style beer
- Chopped scallions or chives, for garnish
1. In a 4- or 5-quart Dutch oven, start to cook bacon. Make sure to stir it over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until it’s lightly browned.
2. Add red onion, celery, and butter. Sauté until the onion has softened for about 5 minutes.
3. Add flour and cook your ingredients, stirring constantly, for about 4 minutes over medium heat. Whisk in the chicken stock and bring to a boil for 1 minute. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 15 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add milk and continue to simmer for 15 minutes. Do not boil after the milk is added.
5. Remove you soup from the heat and add cheese, Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Blend with an immersion blender until the cheese is melted and the soup is smooth. Stir in warm beer. If the soup is too thick, thin with some warm milk.
6. Garnish your with chopped scallions or chives and serve!
Now, we need some soft pretzel sticks to go with it, and we’ve got the PERFECT meal!!
Have you ever been to Le Cellier? Let us know in the comments below!