Happy New Year’s Eve, all! It’s been a wonderful nine months since I’ve started the Food Blog, and I look forward to more exciting Disney food news, reviews, photos, history, and everything in between as we march into 2010.
Thank you for reading, sharing incredible pictures and stories, and keeping me company as I rattle on and on about one of my favorite things: Disney food!
Now, what better way to culminate the decade of the “noughts” than to remember our big Disney Food news stories from this year? Original? No. Still fun? Yes! Here we go…
- Sanaa, a restaurant that incorporates a feast for the eyes as well as the stomach, opens in Animal Kingdom Lodge’s new Kidani Village.
- Cat Cora opens Kouzzina, her first signature restaurant, on the Disney World Boardwalk.
- Paradiso 37, a hub of delicious tapas and tequila, opens in Disney World’s Downtown Disney.
- Celebration Round Up and BBQ heats things up again at Disneyland’s Big Thunder Ranch.
- Disney World’s Animal Kingdom introduces a new type of quick-service dining with the Picnic in the Park.
- Customize your own rice bowl at the renovated and re-placed Lucky Fortune Cookery in Disneyland.
- Disney World’s La Cava del Tequila brings Mexico’s favorite drink to the forefront in the World Showcase. The sheer number of varieties on the Cava del Tequila menu is astonishing.
Online Advanced Dining Reservations and Online Menus at DisneyWorld.com
Finally. After so many years of setting three alarms for 6:50 AM and convincing everyone in the household to call on a different phone line…we have online ADRs! And to accompany them, updated, official online menus for most Disney World restaurants. It’s like a dream come true, isn’t it?
Crowd Control Experiments at Quick-Service Locations
Disney says no more saving tables! At least at the restaurants where its conducting seating experiments.
Due to crowd-control issues, Disney has sampled a new seating method in a few quick-service restaurants. Step One: Get your food. Step Two: Wait to be seated. Step Three: Eat. We’ll see how this changes the landscape of quick-service dining in the future!
Remy Comes to Chefs de France
After beginning his world tour in Disneyland Resort Paris’ Rendez-Vous des Stars Restaurant, Chef Remy landed in Disney World’s Chefs de France this year.
The life-size, “stand-alone” audio-animatronic character interacts magically with restaurant guests and will be staying on at the restaurant into 2010.
Confirmed and Rumored New Restaurant Plans
Several new restaurants have been green-lighted in Disney World and Disneyland Paris, and several more around the world are rumored:
- Disney World’s re-built Fantasyland will house both the Be Our Guest Restaurant and Gaston’s Tavern.
- Disneyland Resort Paris will welcome the first European franchise of Earl of Sandwich in Disney Village.
- Disney World’s Italy pavilion in Epcot is rumored to be expecting a new pizza place soon.
- The Victoria Room at Disney World’s Victoria and Albert’s Restaurant is rumored to be even more extravagant than the five-diamond restaurant itself.
- And construction and expansions going forward in Hong Kong, Paris, and Shanghai guarantee even more wonderful restaurants to come…
Start training earlier this year, foodies, because the 10K run associated with the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival has now become a half marathon!
Now called the Wine & Dine Half Marathon, this race will take participants through three Disney World parks and culminate in an after-hours party at the Food and Wine Festival. See you there!
Gaston Lenotre, Part-Owner of Chefs de France, Passes Away
Chef Lenotre, who, along with Paul Bocuse and Roger Verge, owned Chefs de France, dies at age 88 after battling cancer. According to the New York Times obituary,
He rejuvenated pastry making in the early 1960s and then created a worldwide group of 60 boutiques in 12 countries, which can cater to every whim, from truffled pâté for 25,000 guests, to a banquet for the queen of England, all with French flair, service and decorum.
Scott Joseph, has a touching story about the chef on his Orlando Restaurant Flog.
Again, thank you for reading the blog and sharing all of your fun Disney food stories and news with me! I love doing this every day, and I can’t wait to launch into another year!
Have fun tonight!