On March 14th, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention issued a No-Sail Order that has been extended several times.
Now, the latest extension of the order has it expiring on October 31st, allowing cruise ships to sail once again. Ahead of this, the CDC has issued a Level 3 Warning against Cruise Travel.
A Level 3 Warning instructs travelers to “Avoid Nonessential Travel” due to “Widespread Ongoing Transmission.” In sum, the “CDC recommends that travelers defer all cruise travel worldwide.”
The warning notes that for most travelers, cruising is voluntary and should be rescheduled for a later date at this time. But, they do have recommendations for those cruising during the COVID-19 pandemic:
- “Do not board a cruise if you are sick, if you know you have COVID-19, or if you were exposed to a person with COVID-19 in the past 14 days.
- Discuss cruise ship travel with your healthcare provider. Older adults and people of any age with underlying medical conditions are at increased risk for severe illness if infected with the novel coronavirus.
- Avoid close contact by staying at least 6 feet (2 meters) away from anyone who is not from your household.
- Wear a mask to keep your nose and mouth covered when in public settings.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water, or use hand sanitizer.
- Avoid contact with anyone who is sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid self-service buffet dining, if possible. If you must use self-service buffets, clean your hands before serving yourself and again before eating.
- If you get sick with fever or new or worsening cough or trouble breathing during your cruise, stay in your cabin and notify the onboard medical center immediately.
- Take extra precautions to protect others for 14 days after arrival.”
Keep in mind that the No Sail Order, new Warning, and policies from the cruise lines are subject to change at any time. We will keep you updated with all the latest information so stay tuned.
Join the DFB Newsletter to get all the breaking news right in your inbox! Click here to Subscribe!
Are you hoping to cruise soon? Tell us in the comments.