Even though it’s been quite some time since Disney World closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, there are still lots of things around the resort that have remained closed.
Between the rides, restaurants, and resorts, there are a lot of locations that have yet to welcome guests again. Here’s a quick look at everything that still hasn’t opened in Disney World.
Please Note: We have been updating this post since its initial publishing so information regarding returning experiences and reopenings is current.
Between the parks and resorts, select restaurants remain closed. And surprisingly, some of them are serious fan-favorite spots! These are the places where you still can’t dine in the parks:
As of September 12, 2021, with the reopening of The Diamond Horseshoe, all Magic Kingdom eateries have reopened!
- Restaurant Marrakesh
- Tangierine Cafe (Please Note: Tangierine Cafe is currently serving as a Food Booth for EPCOT’s seasonal Festivals)
Disney’s Hollywood Studios
With the reopening of the Neighborhood Bakery in May 2023, all Hollywood Studios eateries have reopened!
At Disney’s Resorts, these are the spots where you still can’t dine:
Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa:
Disney’s BoardWalk Inn Resort:
- ESPN Club — UPDATE: ESPN Club is now closed on Disney’s BoardWalk. The location will become home to The Cake Bake Shop by Gwendolyn Rogers, which is slated to open in early 2024.
- Funnel Cake Cart
We’ll continue to keep you updated as more locations reopen.
There are also some popular shows that have paused performances since the reopening of the Disney World parks.
Below are the ones that have yet to reopen:
- Voyage of the Little Mermaid — Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- Up! A Great Bird Adventure (Guests can currently enjoy Feathered Friends in Flight! at the Caravan Stage) — Disney’s Animal Kingdom
Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular has not yet returned to Disney’s Hollywood Studios, and no return date has been announced. BUT…
Fantasmic! is BACK in Disney’s Hollywood Studios as of November 3, 2022!! Mickey and LOTS of friends (and a few foes) are taking center stage once again in this nighttime spectacular!
If you’ve seen Fantasmic! before, the show looks a bit different from the last time you watched it. An entire segment of the show has been replaced, so you’ll get to enjoy new animation, characters (like Encanto‘s Mirabel!), songs, and stunt performers! Additional characters now featured in the show include Elsa, Moana, Pocahontas, Aladdin, and Mulan.
WELCOME BACK, FANTASMIC!
A number of merchandise shops and carts are still temporarily unavailable around Disney World. This list is based primarily on what the Disney website shows as “temporarily unavailable,” but keep in mind that this is all subject to change.
- Agrabah Bazaar
- Casey Jr. RailRoad Mercantile
- Main Street Chamber of Commerce (Package Pickup)
- The Outpost Shop
- Colors of Mo’ara
Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- Disney Studio Store
- Indiana Jones Adventure Outpost
- It’s A Wonderful Shop
- Stage 1 Company Store
- The Brass Bazaar (Morocco)
- Casablanca Carpets (Morocco)
- Der Teddybar (Germany)
- El Ranchito del Norte (Mexico)
- Marketplace in the Medina (Morocco)
- Mitsukoshi Kiosk (Japan)
- Tangier Traders (Morocco)
- Trading Post (Canada)
- Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique (Please Note: The Magic Kingdom location reopened in August 2022.)
- NBA Store (Please Note: in August 2021 the Orlando Sentinel reported that the NBA Experience will not reopen and is now permanently closed.)
- Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa (Please Note: The Magic Kingdom location reopened in August 2022.)
Entertainment and Character Greetings
In terms of entertainment and Character Greeting spots, there are a number of things that remain temporarily unavailable at the moment.
- Citizens of Main Street
- Main Street Trolley Show
- Meet Alice and Wonderland at the Mad Tea Party
- Meet a Disney Friend in Tomorrowland
- Meet Gaston near his Tavern
- Meet Tinker Bell at Town Square Theater
- Jeweled Dragon Acrobats (China)
- Meet Ralph inside ImagineWorks at Epcot (though you can meet Vanellope von Schweetz again!)
- Serveur Amusant (France)
- Viva Mexico (Mexico)
Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- Citizens of Hollywood
- Jedi Training: Trials of the Temple
- Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular
- Voyage of the Little Mermaid
- Meet Pocahontas on Discovery Island Trails
- Meet Russell and Dug at Discovery Island
- Meet Timon and Rafiki at Discovery Island
- Pandora Drummers – Swotu Waya
- Pandora Rangers
That said, LOTS of Character Greetings have returned, and the meet and greets that have returned to regular operation (we’re talking a regular schedule, hugs, and autographs; the whole shebang) can all be found HERE!
See pics and videos of the return of traditional Character Meet-and-Greets HERE! And find our FULL LIST of Character Meet and Greets that have returned to normal HERE!
- NBA Experience (Please Note: in August 2021 the Orlando Sentinel reported that the NBA Experience will not reopen and is now permanently closed.)
- Select entertainment at certain restaurants may also be unavailable
- Disney’s Spirit of Aloha — Please Note: Disney has announced that Spirit of Aloha has been permanently closed.
We are continually seeing more and more locations welcoming guests once again. You can be sure that we’ll bring you all the updates you need to know, so check back with us for the latest!
Which reopening are you most looking forward to? Tell us in the comments!