Walt Disney World is regularly stepping up its food game, and that includes quick service (a/k/a fast food) in its parks and resorts. In fact, some quick service dining is so good, it rivals some of the better table service restaurants in the parks and resorts!
Happy weekend! Here’s all the Disney food news this week!
Booking is NOW OPEN for the 2018 Epcot Food and Wine Festival! Find out EVERYTHING you need to know about the festival on our Epcot Food and Wine Festival pages!
Pixar Fest is ON at Disneyland Resort! This fun festival runs through September 3! Click here to get a checklist for ALL the food at Pixar Fest and see our review!
We have a lot to share with you this week, so let’s jump right in…
Disney Food News
- We checked out what’s NEW at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, Pop Century, and Art of Animation!
- We shared some tips on planning for the 2018 Epcot Food and Wine Festival.
- We checked out the ESPN Club at Disney’s BoardWalk!
- New menu items were announced for the 2018 Swan and Dolphin Food and Wine Classic!
- Check out the new holiday merchandise at Disney World.
- We have details on the July Burger of the Month at The Edison.
- The Lighthouse Sandwich is back on the menu at Columbia Harbour House!
- Le Rendez-vous Gourmand Food and Wine Festival is returning to Disneyland Paris.
- We know what Disney World restaurants are participating in Orlando Magical Dining Month!
- Check out where to find Spiked Dole Whip at Disney World!
- We have details on a VERY limited-time ‘Ant-Man and the Wasp’-inspired menu at Jock Lindsey’s Hangar Bar!
- You can get your edible cookie dough fix at Disney World!
- You need to check out this Oatmeal Cookie Sandwich at Pop Century.
- We checked out what’s new at the Magic Kingdom this week.
- Toy Story Land Passholder Playtime opened for reservations…and promptly sold out!
- We shared some tips on Disney World Resort Hotel activities for the whole family.
- How many days should you plan to attend the Epcot Food and Wine Festival? We shared some tips.
- The Dole Whip Donut returned to Disneyland.
- We have all the details on the newest color craze at Disney World – Iridescent everything!
- Boozy Beignets are now on the menu at Port Orleans French Quarter.
- Check out what’s new and what’s returning for the holiday season at Disney World!
- Two new snacks debuted on the menu at Golden Oak Outpost in the Magic Kingdom.
- Another unicorn cupcake has been spotted at Disney World!
- We reviewed everything on the breakfast menu at Woody’s Lunch Box in Toy Story Land.
- A Disney World employee died in an accident at Pop Century.
- New DFB YouTube videos: Things You’d Never Think You’d Need at Disney World, Hollywood Studios Food Tour, Part 2, Best New Eats in Disney This Week, and Disney World Myths Debunked.
Check out all the latest Disney Food News — even the stuff we don’t mention in posts on the blog! — on our Disney Food News Pin Board, including menu updates, restaurant closures, special events, and more! We’ve got all the latest for you, so check it out before you go. [Read more…]
For those of you scratching your head wondering “um…what’s the big deal…it’s a sandwich…”, let us…ahem…shine a light on things!
We know you’re out there, Lighthouse Sandwich fans.
And, as you can tell from the title of this post, we’ve got some not-so-great news for you.
For those of you who may be a little lost on this particular topic, though, allow me to explain. Magic Kingdom’s Columbia Harbour House is well known and loved for providing tasty Counter Service fare, with a few not-so-typical choices like the Chicken and Fish Platter and Shrimp Mac and Cheese.
Even these, however, never reached quite the cult status of the Harbour House’s two longtime signature sandwiches: the Anchors Aweigh Sandwich and the Lighthouse Sandwich (okay, the Lobster Roll comes close, but still…). Many guests seem to have a dedicated favorite between the two.
We can inform diehard fans of the Anchors Aweigh tuna sandwich that it remains safe on the menu.
Unfortunately, we can’t say the same for the Lighthouse Sandwich. The hummus, tomato and broccoli slaw sandwich – served on the same multigrain bread as the Anchors Aweigh – is no longer available at Columbia Harbour House, and Cast Members informed us that as far as they are aware it’s not coming back. [Read more…]
We always love to talk with you about the latest and greatest of Disney food here on DFB.
But today we’re taking time to savor a couple of classics: the Lighthouse and Anchors Aweigh Sandwiches have been around for a long time, and they can only be found at Columbia Harbour House in the Magic Kingdom.
This quaint counter service spot is a hidden gem for Disney visitors. It’s not splashy like Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Cafe, and it’s not really huge and sprawling like Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn. It’s small and understated. In fact, you could easily walk right by and not even know it’s there!
Straddling Liberty Square and Fantasyland (here’s what it looks like from the Fantasyland side…)
…the restaurant offers several long-time Disney guest favorites. It’s one of those spots that first-timers don’t really know about unless they stumble upon it, but Disney vets try to visit as much as possible.
Fish, chicken, pasta, and more are the features here, and there always seems to be one or two “specials” happening at any given time. But the best part about this spot is that the upstairs dining area tends to be blessedly quiet much of the time.
It’s a spot I often escape to when I need a breather in the Magic Kingdom.
But we’re not here to show you pics of empty tables — we’re here to tell you all about some of those must-have eats that so many Disney fans hold near and dear.
These two sandwiches have quite the following among DFB readers, but those new to Columbia Harbour House might wonder what all the fuss is about. After all, upon reading the description of Anchors Aweigh — which is basically a tuna sandwich — many may ask, “what’s the deal?” (Jerry Seinfeld voiceover in your head entirely optional).
And it’s true — there aren’t any super unique or wacky ingredients that you can’t easily combine in your own home. No surprises here (unless there’s some added pixie dust that my eye can’t pick up. You never know around these parts…). What you see is what you get: tuna salad, tomato, and lettuce on multi-grain bread, served with potato chips. Frankly, it’s not even the prettiest sandwich ever, from a photography perspective.
But maybe the [Read more…]
We asked over on the Disney Food Blog Facebook Page for folks to tell us about their favorite sandwiches in a Disney park or resort. We didn’t specify anything — just that it had to be a “sandwich” of some kind. Here’s what we heard back!
The biggest shout-outs went to Columbia Harbour House in Disney World’s Magic Kingdom, Blue Bayou/Cafe Orleans in Disneyland Resort, and not surprisingly, Earl of Sandwich in Disney World’s Downtown Disney.
Earl of Sandwich — Walt Disney World
Do not let the long line deter you. It moves quickly and the wait is worth it. You’ve just got to try one of these hearty and hot signature sandwiches!
Located in Downtown Disney’s Marketplace, Earl of Sandwich is the most popular sandwich stop in Walt Disney World according to our Facebook readers. The sandwiches with the most mentions are absolutely delicious.
The Full Montagu®
Freshly Roasted Beef, Turkey, Aged Swiss & Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Lettuce, Roma Tomatoes & the Earl’s Mustard Sauce
Includes Roasted Turkey, Buttermilk Ranch, Cranberries, Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Lettuce & Roma Tomatoes. See a [Read more…]